P500 Who wants a diff. Lock ?

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Just called them, 550cc BBK, optional hi-torque camshaft, optional Dynojet tuner w preloaded tune approx $1500... BBK alone is approx $900
That's alot of money for 10 h.p., and the time to install would be substantial to say the least. And, it wouldn't increase top speed, but it would probably be nice to have on the mountain trails...

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got the TORQ-LOCKER today, and installed it after work- here's the video. I'll put the diff back in the machine Sunday morning, do some riding, and share my experience/initial review. Here's the vid. Torq-Masters TORQ-Locker P-500 install
Nice video. Finally I can actually feel a little excitement for a locker!!!

Reactions: Dp5hunter and JWB
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm embarrassed to admit that i never realized the front driveshaft has a joint on it.

Is it a universal or CV?
One less step with my (theoretical) ideal of using the 700 front diff and simply moving the whole thing to the left (drivers side) to keep CV angles sane.

But then again, if this drop-in locker works well, may be no point in all the effort...

C

Chooglin

I got the TORQ-LOCKER today, and installed it after work- here's the video. I'll put the diff back in the machine Sunday morning, do some riding, and share my experience/initial review. Here's the vid. Torq-Masters TORQ-Locker P-500 install
Great news @JWB

Will you be doing the majority of the testing with your air suspension at stock ride height? My concern is , with all that suspension flex , it could give you a false indication of how the lockers feels/preforms in different situations

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Great job JWB! Mine should be here any day and I can’t wait! Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
That's alot of money for 10 h.p., and the time to install would be substantial to say the least. And, it wouldn't increase top speed, but it would probably be nice to have on the mountain trails...
If mine ever needs a rebuild I'd look into a performance kit for it........being it's a Honda I'll most likely be dead before then.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Great news @JWB

Will you be doing the majority of the testing with your air suspension at stock ride height? My concern is , with all that suspension flex , it could give you a false indication of how the lockers feels/preforms in different situations
I've been thinking about that.. I'm thinkin I'll lower my tire pressure back down to about where I normally had it, and just set the shocks a little on the stiff side to start with, so the ride height will be higher than stock, but it will do the 'three wheel thing' over rough stuff, but I expect that the locker's characteristics in 4wd are gonna be virtually identical to the spool. The difference in 2wd is where I'm expecting the TORQ-Locker to shine, and hopefully, other than some 'clicking and popping' I won't be able to feel it's there. That would be a full win to me. If it will allow some 'forgiveness' in 4wd, that would be a very very cool bonus!

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
If mine ever needs a rebuild I'd look into a performance kit for it........being it's a Honda I'll most likely be dead before then.
Good point! Ya, if I ever hurt mine, I think that would be the time for the kit..... Justify the cost and all that;)

advertisement
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
WOW things are looking up..........a real locker for the pioneer 500 and the building blocks to support life found on Mars.
The friggin odds were close!! If we were waiting for Honda, I think I'd put my money on Mars!

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I'm embarrassed to admit that i never realized the front driveshaft has a joint on it.

Is it a universal or CV?
One less step with my (theoretical) ideal of using the 700 front diff and simply moving the whole thing to the left (drivers side) to keep CV angles sane.

But then again, if this drop-in locker works well, may be no point in all the effort...
Yup! I already started a video for the P-700 swap, and I'll start a new thread when the dust finally settles on this one. The front is a u-joint. The width difference is 2 1/16" The rear joint will allow for some angularity too!:D

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you to all of you for the compliments! I really appreciate the support. I was really rushed getting the install and video done, and was thinking I mighta shoulda waited till I had someone to help- of course, that was after I watched it and started second guessing myself, but I was so fired up about actually finally having the damn thing sittin on the bench... there was no way I was waitin for anything! I hope the vids are helpful if nothing else!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@JWB your video was fantastic for the quick time it took you. Might I suggest showing how you peened the pin back in? As well as provide torque specs for the front diff. I have a manual at home if you don't have one.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
@JWB your video was fantastic for the quick time it took you. Might I suggest showing how you peened the pin back in? As well as provide torque specs for the front diff. I have a manual at home if you don't have one.
If you would post the torque spec's that would be awesome. I'm away from home so I don't have the info at hand, and I don't want to post anything from memory..:rolleyes: if that's what you call it.. I'll do a quick demo of peening the hole to retain the pin by using a scrap piece of metal with a hole drilled just so everyone can see clearly how that works.:)

scottn57

scottn57

Sep 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
Thank you so much JWB- we can't wait to see what you think of the ride. Love the videos- if you ever want to get some sort of positioning arm for your camera I'd donate to the cause in a heartbeat!

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you so much JWB- we can't wait to see what you think of the ride. Love the videos- if you ever want to get some sort of positioning arm for your camera I'd donate to the cause in a heartbeat!
Wow! Thank you for the offer!. I really appreciate it. My 'camera' is a galaxy note 5 that has the phone 'app' disabled;) so what I really need is some advice on what I should use to hold it, and then be able to set it down, or place it for the best view of what I'm doing. I've been so wrapped up in the mechanical aspects of the locker etc. , that I pretty much forget about the 'camera' as soon as I turn it off.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@JWB, first online posting of a true P500 locker. History in the making. Guiness book record for sure. Aside from the performance, curious to hear the clicking noise and if any significant steering resistance. Do you have power steering or not?

scottn57

scottn57

Sep 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
Wow! Thank you for the offer!. I really appreciate it. My 'camera' is a galaxy note 5 that has the phone 'app' disabled;) so what I really need is some advice on what I should use to hold it, and then be able to set it down, or place it for the best view of what I'm doing. I've been so wrapped up in the mechanical aspects of the locker etc. , that I pretty much forget about the 'camera' as soon as I turn it off.

Maybe something like this tripod- I got one like it for my girlfriend so she can photograph things for eBay. These tripods are pretty adjustable. The remote is nice because you can set it up and then start it from where you are recording. They also make things that can clamp onto tables and edges.

Reactions: JWB
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!