P500 Who wants a diff. Lock ?

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
@JWB, first online posting of a true P500 locker. History in the making. Guiness book record for sure. Aside from the performance, curious to hear the clicking noise and if any significant steering resistance. Do you have power steering or not?
Just finished putting diff back in machine. Haven't driven it yet, but I did do a short video. I do have power steering. The clicking isn't going to be an issue- as long as everything else functions properly... I'll take it for a ride in the morning and post a quick review- hopefully short and sweet if it works properly! I'll do a video demo later- although there really won't be much to show- if it works properly, cuz it will have the same capabilities as the spool when in 4wd- so mostly gonna be a written review. TORQ-Locker diff installed.mp4

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Maybe something like this tripod- I got one like it for my girlfriend so she can photograph things for eBay. These tripods are pretty adjustable. The remote is nice because you can set it up and then start it from where you are recording. They also make things that can clamp onto tables and edges.
Thanks for the info! I'll have to think about what I really need to accomplish with a stand/tripod. Maybe @jay_man81 could steer this a little. Meanwhile, I still have the Princess to help me out most of the time:)

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the info! I'll have to think about what I really need to accomplish with a stand/tripod. Maybe @jay_man81 could steer this a little. Meanwhile, I still have the Princess to help me out most of the time:)

Richard was sporting a nice gymble for his phone at the Takeover and from what I remember is was not very expensive as far as gymbles go. @Hondasxs can give you the details. Most gymbles come with a tripod foot attachment to make it free standing. A cheap alternative that I've used is a cheap selfie stick from wal-mart that had a foot attachment. Maybe cost $20-$25 bucks and got the job done.

My locker came yesterday so I'll probably start tearing the P5 down today! Had a great day yesterday finding some mud holes to show the open diff's weaknessess...lol

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Richard was sporting a nice gymble for his phone at the Takeover and from what I remember is was not very expensive as far as gymbles go. @Hondasxs can give you the details. Most gymbles come with a tripod foot attachment to make it free standing. A cheap alternative that I've used is a cheap selfie stick from wal-mart that had a foot attachment. Maybe cost $20-$25 bucks and got the job done.

My locker came yesterday so I'll probably start tearing the P5 down today! Had a great day yesterday finding some mud holes to show the open diff's weaknessess...lol
Thanks for the info! I'll head over to wal-mart later to see what they have. I think the mush is where having all four wheels driving is going to be the most dramatic improvement- although it made a bigger difference to hill climbing than I ever thought it would... Getting ready to head to shop go for first ride with the TORQ-LOCKER :):):)

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
FIRST RIDE WITH !!FIRST EVER!! P-500 TORQ-LOCKER INSTALLED!
Just drove the machine around our yard at work for about 15 minutes, and here's my initial thoughts: 1st, and foremost- I just wasted $360 buying the P-700 differential.:oops::(:):D!! I drove around and around in 2wd, and it feels completely stock again. Put it in 4wd, and I can feel that it's locked, but now I know why @hondasrule said he didn't notice the spool making a big difference to steering effort- MY STEERING WAS SHOT! Now that the steering is working properly, making turns with the front locked isn't much different than 2wd, but it is different. I could not make it unlock in 4wd- at least that I can tell- it felt locked whether I was 'coasting', accelerating lightly, hard, or decelerating light or hard. Here's the very first thing I was interested in (other than function) NOISE. THERE AINT NONE. Not a peep! Full circles, left, right, forward, reverse... not a peep. Can't tell it's there. So far...

I'm going to put my skid plate and bumper back on, load up the machine, head to the trail, and put a few miles on it. It's been raining here for weeks, so everything is good and sloppy- not my favorite kind of riding, but that may change with the TORQ-LOCKER;)

So, barring disaster or catastrophic failure- which I highly doubt, Torq-Masters has hit a home run- FOR US!

JWB

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
So, I am a bit confused... are you saying that the spool with properly working steering does not add a lot of effort? If that is the case is the locker worth the extra money over the spool?

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
So, I am a bit confused... are you saying that the spool with properly working steering does not add a lot of effort? If that is the case is the locker worth the extra money over the spool?
I just got back from my first trail ride with the TORQ-Locker. I'll post that after this. That will depend mostly on your riding style or environment. If you ride mushy stuff 95% of the time, you may be satisfied with a spool, but, if your riding takes you through tight hard pack trails, the spool is gonna get old pretty quick, and, being locked all the time- particularly when you have to make full hard turns- like turning around in the shop or your driveway- then the spool is hateful, and the power steering motor gets hot quick- too hot to touch, so I'm thinkin that's not good. When there was no alternative, I was willing to live with the short-falls of a spool, but the auto-locker works even better than I had hoped, and considering the effort to install either unit, and the difference in component cost, and then consider the overall versatility of the auto-locker, I personally would go with the auto-locker.

Last edited:
advertisement
C

Chooglin

Here's my thoughts after first brief ride- about an hour of as varied as possible.
TORQ-Locker- thoughts after first ride.mp4
Thanks for your thoughts @JWB , this video is exactly what my vision of this locker would be.

I don't always agree with some of your thoughts or opinions but I am sure many don't agree with mine either.

Thanks again for the time that you have put into this project !

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Nice! Thanks for the update, did they give you any idea when it will be offered for sale?

Reactions: JWB
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for your thoughts @JWB , this video is exactly what my vision of this locker would be.

I don't always agree with some of your thoughts or opinions but I am sure many don't agree with mine either.

Thanks again for the time that you have put into this project !
You're welcome! I really enjoy doing this kinda stuff. My only experience with auto-lockers in the past kinda sucked, so that's why I was somewhat hesitant, and trying to keep my expectations realistic. This unit has me completely sold- I'm lovin it already!

And I can't believe you don't always agree with me!? How can this be?? :p LOL!!

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Nice! Thanks for the update, did they give you any idea when it will be offered for sale?
They are waiting for the folks with the prototypes to do a bit of testing, and apparently have a "batch" of components ready to be heat treated- the prototypes are not- so the short answer is no I don't have a date, but as long as no one has issues with the prototypes, these bad-boys are gonna be available soon! Cora may give me/us an update after @jay_man81 's reviews and testing are complete.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I just got this response from Cora (Torq-masters) regarding my review(s) today. I'm going to go out and do the "spin-test" now....

Thanks so much for the review!!!

In your commentary, you mentioned you thought the locker unlocked in a turn. The proper term is 'ratcheting.' The locker never technically unlocks in 4WD, but it does allow for wheel speed differentiation in 4WD, and it does this through ratcheting. I try really hard never to say 'unlock' because people will think that the locker will slip or loose traction randomly.

Can you please do the wheel spin test when you have time? I want to make sure the locker is ratcheting and not acting like a spool. Here's a quick video of how it works, add that to the description I had in my last email, and you should be all set.

'Spin Test'?

Jack up the front end so the tires are off the ground, in 4WD.
spin one front wheel until it stops, then (while still holding the first wheel), spin the other wheel in the opposite direction, to get the locker to ratchet.

Thank you for the shout outs in the videos, it really means a lot. We want to help you all out, and it was kind of a gamble for us because there aren't as many Honda P500's out there compared to Polaris and Can-Am. I'm really happy it's working out so far, with no wobbles or leaks. Let's just make sure it's ratcheting :)

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I'm guessing you have over articulated the upper ball joint and pinched the boot (on both sides).
Maybe @jay_man81 can inspect his upper ball joint boots and report back.
(If his boots have the same hole I'll think up another theory)

Thanks for the locker report.
It will be interesting to see how it performs.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!