P500 Who wants a diff. Lock ?

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I'm in the process of editing the videos I did today, but here's the what's going on. I'm at Trailhead resort in VA and put almost 50 miles of pure abuse on the machine, pounding it up, and down, every black diamond trail on the south side of the Spearhead trail system, that include near vertical rock ledges, to rocks, mud and dirt that apparently have trashed many RZR's, about 5 miles of paved road running on the rev limiter, going flat-out, up, and down a nicely rutted gravel/dirt access road on the west side of the mountain, repeatedly through some mud holes and through deeply rutted muddy sections of trail. I drove up, and down the toughest of the black diamond trails as many as four times during the day.
I drove with 4wd engaged all day, (same as I always have on mountain trails) except pavement. I did try 4wd on my 'road rip' with no ill effects, but it just bothers me to have 4wd engaged on pavement.. In 2wd, you won't know it's there.

So, that baseball? Home run? That baseball is orbiting the earth at this very moment. That's right, it didn't just leave the park, it left the planet.

Power steering? If you intend to do anything aggressive in 4wd, then I strongly recommend it. If you use 4wd only to get out of a tough situation, or just need added traction for a brief stretch you could probably get by without it.

Who should install the locker? I.M.H.O.- Everyone. This thing is flat-out amazing. I think it should be standard equipment- it works that good, and with power steering, there's virtually no downside to installing one.

A shiftable locker is basically a spool on demand- the operator locks the differential in anticipation of need, or quite often, after the fact, and when locked, you're stuck with downsides of a spool. The Torq-Locker has all the advantages of a spool, and only about 5% of the disadvantages (I'll explain myself better in the video) of a spool. And most importantly, it operates instantly, automatically, and 95% unobtrusively.

In other words, if you gave the machine (with power steering) to a stranger to drive, it's very likely they would never know it has a locker in the front differential.

WIN, WIN, WIN, AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!

H

Husker1

Oct 24, 2017
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 500
On this style locker, any time the load is different between left and right wheels, it starts to ratchet. I doubt there will be too much more steering effort once installed.
It will only ratchet when under no load or coasting. If driving with
Power on it will lock. I have an Aussie locker the rear of my Cherokee and that’s how it works. And it does work well.

G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
I'm in the process of editing the videos I did today, but here's the what's going on. I'm at Trailhead resort in VA and put almost 50 miles of pure abuse on the machine, pounding it up, and down, every black diamond trail on the south side of the Spearhead trail system, that include near vertical rock ledges, to rocks, mud and dirt that apparently have trashed many RZR's, about 5 miles of paved road running on the rev limiter, going flat-out, up, and down a nicely rutted gravel/dirt access road on the west side of the mountain, repeatedly through some mud holes and through deeply rutted muddy sections of trail. I drove up, and down the toughest of the black diamond trails as many as four times during the day.
I drove with 4wd engaged all day, (same as I always have on mountain trails) except pavement. I did try 4wd on my 'road rip' with no ill effects, but it just bothers me to have 4wd engaged on pavement.. In 2wd, you won't know it's there.

So, that baseball? Home run? That baseball is orbiting the earth at this very moment. That's right, it didn't just leave the park, it left the planet.

Power steering? If you intend to do anything aggressive in 4wd, then I strongly recommend it. If you use 4wd only to get out of a tough situation, or just need added traction for a brief stretch you could probably get by without it.

Who should install the locker? I.M.H.O.- Everyone. This thing is flat-out amazing. I think it should be standard equipment- it works that good, and with power steering, there's virtually no downside to installing one.

A shiftable locker is basically a spool on demand- the operator locks the differential in anticipation of need, or quite often, after the fact, and when locked, you're stuck with downsides of a spool. The Torq-Locker has all the advantages of a spool, and only about 5% of the disadvantages (I'll explain myself better in the video) of a spool. And most importantly, it operates instantly, automatically, and 95% unobtrusively.

In other words, if you gave the machine (with power steering) to a stranger to drive, it's very likely they would never know it has a locker in the front differential.

WIN, WIN, WIN, AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!
EXCELLENT!!! Oh, I already said that!

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
So power steering is NOT a must with the locker?

I might do a locker if it is driveable without PS, on our first trail ride I drove for about 4.5 hours with no fatigue whatsoever but the trail was mostly very easy snowmobile trail our next trail ride will be into the tighter trails.My wife driving will determine if we need PS.

Even so with the trails around here there is not a huge need for a locker, hills are small, mud holes are out there but mostly loose sand and some hard packed dirt.

I still see a need for the locker in the fall, winter and mostly during spring thaw when there is still ice/snow on the trails and serious muddy thaws to get through.

Love the reviews.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and JWB
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Sweet! Thanks @JWB . That's what we all wanted to hear and sounds like it was worth the wait. I'll be getting one of these for sure. Without watching a 'how to' my only question is how involved is the install? Can the average Joe with a decent amount of mechanical knowledge install this in his garage without having to buy special tools?

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Sweet! Thanks @JWB . That's what we all wanted to hear and sounds like it was worth the wait. I'll be getting one of these for sure. Without watching a 'how to' my only question is how involved is the install? Can the average Joe with a decent amount of mechanical knowledge install this in his garage without having to buy special tools?
I will have a full how to vid for it but it is super easy to install. All you need is a 10mm 12mm 14mm 17mm socket, needle nose pliers for those pesky tie rod bolt pins, and I needed a 1/2” socket to loosen my winch mount plate to take the front brush guard off. Also need a pin punch for the pin that holds the center pin for the diff gears in place like JWB showed. That’s the worse part of the whole instal. That little thing can be a pain to get out. It only took me just over 4 hrs to tear down, install, and reassemble even with setting up camera’s.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only "special" tool you may need will be a die grinder or dremel to grind the factory peen on the cross pin lock. Everything else should be regular hand tools. 8/10/12/14/17/19mm.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Belated Fathers Day gift list for sure. Hope the install video is from start to finish to include removal of hub, drive and diff. @JWB Video of unit itself was very informative and looked like not too bad, liked the detailed tips like the special spacers placement..don't switch them up. Once again, HondaSxS forum to the rescue!

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Nothing special. all normal tools

Last edited:
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Ditto what @jay_man81 said- I'm really looking forward to his videos as well. There's nothing tricky or complex to do the install. The only 'trick' I suggest, is to get the retaining pin out, which involves a drill bit that is smaller than the pin's hole. I started by first driving the pin IN a little more, then using the drill bit, I opened the hole where the factory has peened it in. then flip the carrier over, and drive out the pin. I used a pin punch to get it started, and then drove it the rest of the way out with a nail that I flattened the tip on, cuz my pin punch wasn't long enough to push the pin all the way out. I meant to do a video to demonstrate what I'm talking about- I forgot- but I will do it, because not removing some of the peened over metal, would make that pin a b**ch to get out. The actual putting the auto-locker in the carrier is child's play:) Except if you have a camera pointed at it!:rolleyes:

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
It will only ratchet when under no load or coasting. If driving with
Power on it will lock. I have an Aussie locker the rear of my Cherokee and that’s how it works. And it does work well.
The only experience I had with ratcheting lockers, was about 20 years ago, in the rear of a Chevelle- it sucked. It did work, but it was horrible to drive, and when it did 'ratchet' it would make the whole car shudder, and it you even touched the throttle it would lock, and at the time, anyone who had used them before said that was normal... If the automotive Torq-lockers work as well as the one I just put in my machine, I'll be putting one in my next pick-up!

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
35481877 2094199140869129 5786604455738736640 n OK< maybe the locker is arriving exactly at the wrong time..

35544818 10204451776332189 4690859230813487104 n

Last edited:
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 78917 OK< maybe the locker is arriving exactly at the wrong time..

View attachment 78921
I know a bunch of folks are gonna be excited about it, but if it aint 50" wide I'm not. I watched the big machines creeping, struggling, getting damaged, and unable to pass each other on the trails all day yesterday. Every time I think I want a go-fast/bigger machine, and then get on those mountain trails with my P-500, I always come home thinking I've got the best machine for the job. Those big machines wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell keeping up with the P-500 on those trails, mostly because they barely fit. One mistake and the machine's wrecked. I saw three instances of that in just one day of riding!
But I hope the Talon kicks a**!!
and if they make a 50" version.....I think I'll be needing one...$$$:(

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
So power steering is NOT a must with the locker?

I might do a locker if it is driveable without PS, on our first trail ride I drove for about 4.5 hours with no fatigue whatsoever but the trail was mostly very easy snowmobile trail our next trail ride will be into the tighter trails.My wife driving will determine if we need PS.

Even so with the trails around here there is not a huge need for a locker, hills are small, mud holes are out there but mostly loose sand and some hard packed dirt.

I still see a need for the locker in the fall, winter and mostly during spring thaw when there is still ice/snow on the trails and serious muddy thaws to get through.

Love the reviews.
Thanks! I'm having a blast sharing what I'm doin!

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hahaha go to the end of that thread and read, or just zoom in and read the HONDAsxs it’s spelled HODNAsxs Fake News! Lol.
It will be nice when and that’s a big when they finally get one out.
Proof its fake. Lol.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Here's the bits of video I did on the Torq-Locker on Saturday in the mountains. Please give me some lee-way on the mistakes- at one point I said "open locker" and what I meant to say is 'open differential' I also mixed up the trail numbers, and there's likely some stuff I missed, but I had to share what a fantastic day I had, not just as a test ride, but a really fun ride!!

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!