P500 Who wants a diff. Lock ?

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I'm guessing you have over articulated the upper ball joint and pinched the boot (on both sides).
Maybe @jay_man81 can inspect his upper ball joint boots and report back.
(If his boots have the same hole I'll think up another theory)

Thanks for the locker report.
It will be interesting to see how it performs.
That's very possible- hadn't thought of that.. they just looked so uniform.

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
She is getting tore down after work today! It takes me longer due to the time and effort I put into my vids and I still had some shots to get with the open diff but those are done and I should have first impressions for you soon.

Man I hope I can go full time with AMR...just think what I could get done then...lol.

C

Chooglin

Still waiting for update

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Yea I keep waiting for more info but not sure it really matters lol... its a locker that apparently works like every other ratchet locker. Just heat treat the things and sell em like hotcakes!

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I'm told that they are waiting to hear back from their testers, and then it will be about three weeks after that to hit the market. My plan is to go to the Spearhead, and H/M trails this weekend, and try to put about 50 hard miles on the machine, and do some more video. I've been so hammered at work, that I just got nuthin left at end of day to do anything else, and it's a 7hr drive from here to the mountains. Hopefully @jay_man81 will have his review done too, and hopefully neither of us will have any issues, and hopefully that will be enough for Torq-Masters to move forward with production. So short of some bizarre anomaly, there shouldn't be any big delay, and I'm basing that on what I've experienced so far: The locker fits perfectly and was very easy to install. It passed the 'spin-test'. It performed flawlessly on the trail- way better than I expected. It's virtually silent, and there is no indication of leaks, unusual movement in the axles, and no vibration. 100% pass- so far.

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I"ll have the P5 back together today and hopefully have time to get out on the trail for a bit. My wife and I are leaving for the East Coast Side by Side cancer ride early in the morning so I might not get too much seat time but next week I'll hit it hard. It will take me a bit to get shots for a review and comparison vid but I'll post my thoughts well before my vids ready!

advertisement
C

Chuckerbird

Lifetime Member
May 26, 2017
Battle Mountain, NV.
Ownership

1. 500
I'm told that they are waiting to hear back from their testers, and then it will be about three weeks after that to hit the market. My plan is to go to the Spearhead, and H/M trails this weekend, and try to put about 50 hard miles on the machine, and do some more video. I've been so hammered at work, that I just got nuthin left at end of day to do anything else, and it's a 7hr drive from here to the mountains. Hopefully @jay_man81 will have his review done too, and hopefully neither of us will have any issues, and hopefully that will be enough for Torq-Masters to move forward with production. So short of some bizarre anomaly, there shouldn't be any big delay, and I'm basing that on what I've experienced so far: The locker fits perfectly and was very easy to install. It passed the 'spin-test'. It performed flawlessly on the trail- way better than I expected. It's virtually silent, and there is no indication of leaks, unusual movement in the axles, and no vibration. 100% pass- so far.
JWB,
Would you recommend power steering along with the locker?

Reactions: Dp5hunter and JWB
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It really would be great if someone WITHOUT power steering could have reviewed this. I wonder if unplugging the PS module would be a real world test?
On this style locker, any time the load is different between left and right wheels, it starts to ratchet. I doubt there will be too much more steering effort once installed.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I"ll have the P5 back together today and hopefully have time to get out on the trail for a bit. My wife and I are leaving for the East Coast Side by Side cancer ride early in the morning so I might not get too much seat time but next week I'll hit it hard. It will take me a bit to get shots for a review and comparison vid but I'll post my thoughts well before my vids ready!
Just tell Torqmasters that you put 500 hard miles on it and it works perfect. That way they can start pumping these babies out! They will never know. We will all keep your secret.... ;)

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
It really would be great if someone WITHOUT power steering could have reviewed this. I wonder if unplugging the PS module would be a real world test?
Part of my testing is going to be without the PS hooked up. I know a lot of you don't have that and probably don't feel the need to get it so don't worry, I'm thinking about you!

C

Chooglin

On this style locker, any time the load is different between left and right wheels, it starts to ratchet. I doubt there will be too much more steering effort once installed.
Thank god somebody gets it !

Taken from post 697

"The locker never technically unlocks in 4WD, but it does allow for wheel speed differentiation in 4WD, and it does this through ratcheting."

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!