P500 Who wants a diff. Lock ?

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I still have the p700 diff. under my bench. I know it's lockable, but the experience with the Torq-locker so far makes me think it would still make a very nice upgrade to the shiftable locker. The Torq-Locker replaces the spider gears inside the carrier- the parts diagram does not show those parts. The P700 diff uses a short 'stub-axle' inside the case on the locker side. If that spline is the same as the P500, the Torq-locker is a 100% fit. I know there won't be many who will want to bother, but once I realized it might fit, there's no way I could keep my mouth shut!:) I'll know by Sunday if it'll work.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I still have the p700 diff. under my bench. I know it's lockable, but the experience with the Torq-locker so far makes me think it would still make a very nice upgrade to the shiftable locker. The Torq-Locker replaces the spider gears inside the carrier- the parts diagram does not show those parts. The P700 diff uses a short 'stub-axle' inside the case on the locker side. If that spline is the same as the P500, the Torq-locker is a 100% fit. I know there won't be many who will want to bother, but once I realized it might fit, there's no way I could keep my mouth shut!:) I'll know by Sunday if it'll work.

So, would this be an upgrade for the P7?

Reactions: Bastardchild
I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
@JWB you got me curious so i headed over to partsfish.com to check out some parts #s on the front differentials of the P5 and P7. Now, keep in mind ive not watched any of the installation videos that you have made yet, so i dont exactly know where the torqlocker installs in the front diff, but if it installs inside of, or replaces, parts #s 26 and 34 in the exploded view, it may very well work in the P700 also. They both have the same part # according to partsfish. Like i said though, ive not watched the video yet to see if this part is even involved. I planned on doing that when my Torqlocker arrives at my house right before i install it lol

View attachment 79231 View attachment 79232 View attachment 79233 View attachment 79234
So a question for you, B*****child. If you already have portals, wouldn't that kind of make a Torqlocker moot, or maybe I don't understand how portals work?

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
So a question for you, B*****child. If you already have portals, wouldn't that kind of make a Torqlocker moot, or maybe I don't understand how portals work?
Portals are gear reductions at the wheel, nothing to do with the differential.....think gearbox, spacer & lift all in one.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Awesome info. Let us know for sure! :)

Reactions: Dp5hunter
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
After thinking about this for more than a minute.... The carrier for the P7 is the same part #
42420-HL1-A00
as the P500, so the splines entering the side gears in the carrier have to be the same, cuz you can't buy the side gears or any of the carrier's internals separately from Honda . So.... Yes, the TORK-Locker for the P500 will work in the P700. As soon as I get the hardened production replacement for the prototype TORQ-Locker I have installed in mine, I will test fit one of them in the P700 diff I have under the bench, but I am sure, at this point, that it will work.:)

Last edited:
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the clarification. So essentially still 3-wheel drive even with portals.
Please forgive me in advance for this.... Any so called 4wd vehicle with a normal open diff in front can't be 3 wheel drive. It could be called 3 wheel spin- if it has a locked rear diff.. Here's what I mean. If a P500 has the rear tires on ice, and one front wheel on ice, and the other on pavement, the machine won't move, even though it has one front tire with good traction, because a non-traction enhanced, or open diff, will send all power to the tire with the least traction, so yes, it has three wheels spinning, but none driving. With the P500, or any machine, that has an open front diff, and a locked rear, as soon as the machine gets in mush, or encounters an obstacle that either gets one front tire off the ground, or one front tire with good traction, and the other with no traction, you instantly have only two wheel drive, because all the power going to the front is wasted on the tire with no traction. But if both front wheels have equal traction you have true 4wd until one of those tires encounters a low traction condition again, and poof...2wd. And that's why we've all been squealing about no locking diff. This gets even better for all of us with so-called 4wd trucks, or whatever, cuz if you have open diffs in the front, and rear- which most do, and you happen to have say, two left side tires on ice, and the two right side tires on pavement, and you're trying to pull your trailer out of a snow-bank, you got 2wspin, and no movement cuz the open diffs are sending all your power to the tires with zero traction. Fortunately, zero traction doesn't happen too often, but that trailer in the snow-bank thing happened to me many years ago, and I've never owned a truck since then without at least one diff with some sort of traction enhancing device installed.

Now back to the TORQ-Locker in my P5! Happy days! I was out riding today- it's been raining for days again. Had the Princess with me- we did some video clips I'll post later. Y'all are gonna be very surprised at how well the auto-locker works, I know I keep saying it, but each time I put the machine into different types of terrain, I'm just more amazed at the difference it's made. There's a really steep mound on part of the trail that I could always get over, but it would always lose traction coming over the top. Here's the thing, with the limited traction the machine had before, it always felt like 1st gear had unstoppable power, but now, it has so much more traction, it actually makes the engine grunt in 1st on those steep climbs or tough obstacles. When I was at Spearhead last wknd, I went through a mud hole that was deeper than anticipated, so I went into it at a moderate r.p.m. in 2nd and as it got deeper I kept pushing the throttle down, eventually pegged, and it dragged it down to the point I thought I would have no choice but to downshift, (stop) but it started to shallow up, and I drove through ok. The thing that keeps amazing me, is that auto-locker is as positive as a spool when you need it, but virtually unnoticeable when you don't! It defies all my preconceived expectations....
Y'all are gonna be sick of hearing about it- till ya get one installed:p!! Gonna have to start a new thread so we can share our experiences with our new P500's:):)

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@JWB , could anything for rear axles be done like turf mode to prevent skid marks when turning? Seems like it would help for tighter turning radius, and save grass and rubber skid marks on my driveway. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: JWB
I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Please forgive me in advance for this.... Any so called 4wd vehicle with a normal open diff in front can't be 3 wheel drive. It could be called 3 wheel spin- if it has a locked rear diff.. Here's what I mean. If a P500 has the rear tires on ice, and one front wheel on ice, and the other on pavement, the machine won't move, even though it has one front tire with good traction, because a non-traction enhanced, or open diff, will send all power to the tire with the least traction, so yes, it has three wheels spinning, but none driving. With the P500, or any machine, that has an open front diff, and a locked rear, as soon as the machine gets in mush, or encounters an obstacle that either gets one front tire off the ground, or one front tire with good traction, and the other with no traction, you instantly have only two wheel drive, because all the power going to the front is wasted on the tire with no traction. But if both front wheels have equal traction you have true 4wd until one of those tires encounters a low traction condition again, and poof...2wd. And that's why we've all been squealing about no locking diff. This gets even better for all of us with so-called 4wd trucks, or whatever, cuz if you have open diffs in the front, and rear- which most do, and you happen to have say, two left side tires on ice, and the two right side tires on pavement, and you're trying to pull your trailer out of a snow-bank, you got 2wspin, and no movement cuz the open diffs are sending all your power to the tires with zero traction. Fortunately, zero traction doesn't happen too often, but that trailer in the snow-bank thing happened to me many years ago, and I've never owned a truck since then without at least one diff with some sort of traction enhancing device installed.

Now back to the TORQ-Locker in my P5! Happy days! I was out riding today- it's been raining for days again. Had the Princess with me- we did some video clips I'll post later. Y'all are gonna be very surprised at how well the auto-locker works, I know I keep saying it, but each time I put the machine into different types of terrain, I'm just more amazed at the difference it's made. There's a really steep mound on part of the trail that I could always get over, but it would always lose traction coming over the top. Here's the thing, with the limited traction the machine had before, it always felt like 1st gear had unstoppable power, but now, it has so much more traction, it actually makes the engine grunt in 1st on those steep climbs or tough obstacles. When I was at Spearhead last wknd, I went through a mud hole that was deeper than anticipated, so I went into it at a moderate r.p.m. in 2nd and as it got deeper I kept pushing the throttle down, eventually pegged, and it dragged it down to the point I thought I would have no choice but to downshift, (stop) but it started to shallow up, and I drove through ok. The thing that keeps amazing me, is that auto-locker is as positive as a spool when you need it, but virtually unnoticeable when you don't! It defies all my preconceived expectations....
Y'all are gonna be sick of hearing about it- till ya get one installed:p!! Gonna have to start a new thread so we can share our experiences with our new P500's:):)

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
@JWB , could anything for rear axles be done like turf mode to prevent skid marks when turning? Seems like it would help for tighter turning radius, and save grass and rubber skid marks on my driveway. LOL
Here we go again!! :eek:!! Wonder if the P700 turf-mode diff will work. Doh!!:rolleyes: Please tell me you're kidding, and just let me off the hook now.. and stop driving that p5 on the lawn!:)

Reactions: Dp5hunter
TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Here we go again!! :eek:!! Wonder if the P700 turf-mode diff will work. Doh!!:rolleyes: Please tell me you're kidding, and just let me off the hook now.. and stop driving that p5 on the lawn!:)
Actually I really need this, I need a locking rear diff for the P5 the spool is a bit much on the tight turns in high traction.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!