P1000 Wifey killed my dang battery.......

F

fsk1290

Oct 30, 2020
Grant, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
She took her son and two of his friends on a ride around the neighborhood ......... of course they jammed out to music using the kick butt system I had installed.

BUT.......... guess who forgot to turn it off when she got home. YUP.

I went out to the garage fridge around 3am to get some ice for my drink and I saw a low glow coming from it......... I walk over and sure enough it's on....... I turned it off.

Been busy with stuff and forgot about it......... went to go take it for a spin just now and when I turn the key it just goes "click click click". My battery is dead.

Gonna run to the store and get one of these tomorrow. Anybody have any heartburn using this thing??? How long before I can start her up??

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
She took her son and two of his friends on a ride around the neighborhood ......... of course they jammed out to music using the kick butt system I had installed.

I went out to the garage fridge around 3am to get some ice for my drink and I saw a low glow coming from it......... I walk over and sure enough it's on....... I turned it off.

Been busy with stuff and forgot about it......... went to go take it for a spin just now and when I turn the key it just goes "click click click". My battery is dead.

Gonna run to the store and get one of these tomorrow. Anybody have any heartburn using this thing??? How long before I can start her up??

Electrical accessories can be a pain sometimes.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I've been using a Battery Tender plus for about 10 years now, and it has pretty much been in use 90% of that time on ATVs, mowers or seldom driven cars. Works great as mantainer, but if your battery is really low, it could take anywhere from a couple of hours to overnight to charge. The BT Junior you are considering only charges @ 800ma. The Plus will charge a little faster @ 1.25 amps.

Dangb1

Dangb1

Oct 25, 2020
Ogema Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-2
Haven't used the Deltran Battery Tender but I do use Foval 2000mA Automatic Battery Chargers on my 3 Hondas and riding mowers during the winter months up here in northern Wisconsin to maintain the batteries and have used them for 3 years now with no problems.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Jumper cables.

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The tenders are great for keeping a battery fresh during periods of non use, but they’re not great chargers for a dead battery situation. Use a regular battery charger or jumper cables for that. I’d definitely still get the battery tender Jr. though. I’ve used them for years on my stuff and highly recommend them. You can find them online a lot cheaper than you’ll find them in a store. IIRC I paid $70 for a 4 pack of them on eBay.

AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Digital battery tenders and chargers may not work on a depleted battery that reads in the single digits for voltage. The charger thinks the battery is damaged and won't charge it for safety reasons. Jump start it to get it back into double digits and hope it wasn't damaged by sitting too long in a depleted state.

Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Sears used to sell the old style battery charger. I have one.

Reactions: Backwoods
F

fsk1290

Oct 30, 2020
Grant, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Digital battery tenders and chargers may not work on a depleted battery that reads in the single digits for voltage. The charger thinks the battery is damaged and won't charge it for safety reasons. Jump start it to get it back into double digits and hope it wasn't damaged by sitting too long in a depleted state.
So a few of you suggest I use jumper cables. But what am I supposed to jump it with?? I'm sure my Ford F250 diesel with two huge batteries is not appropriate for this right?? I know nothing about batteries so don't laugh at me. LOL

advertisement
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
So a few of you suggest I use jumper cables. But what am I supposed to jump it with?? I'm sure my Ford F250 diesel with two huge batteries is not appropriate for this right?? I know nothing about batteries so don't laugh at me. LOL
Will not be any problem.
12 volts is 12 volts - just make sure where you connect the jumper cables meters 12 volts - it's possible to connect incorrectly and have 24 volts with 2 batteries.

annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a noco genius charger that I use to help out all of the batteries in various vehicles. Can put out 10a when needed or just maintain.
I’ve been very happy with it. The quick disconnects make it very easy to use, have a set on everything.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
12 volts is 12 volts - just make sure where you connect the jumper cables meters 12 volts - it's possible to connect incorrectly and have 24 volts with 2 batteries.
Put the pos and neg of the cable on either ONE of the batteries, it will be only 12V. To get 24V requires putting neg of one to pos of other battery.

F

fsk1290

Oct 30, 2020
Grant, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Put the pos and neg of the cable on either ONE of the batteries, it will be only 12V. To get 24V requires putting neg of one to pos of other battery.
OK so start my truck first..... hook up to ONE of my truck's batteries .........then hook up pos to SxS first and then neg to SxS last...... attempt to start SxS....... that's it ???

Reactions: DanDan and BigOL3
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
KKF5zD1jRNrIll1PSTFGMxo2cLZQu9IWqXEhdFcP3CI

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!