P500 Winch running backwards

Meyers

Meyers

Jul 22, 2020
Madison ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Red to red black to black yellow to yellow and blue to blue. Small wires on contactor wired as directed in print. Can I swap the blue and black wires on contactor??

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Red to red black to black yellow to yellow and blue to blue. Small wires on contactor wired as directed in print. Can I swap the blue and black wires on contactor??View attachment 258930
Yellow and blue typically go to winch. Red and black typically to battery (or power source). Switch the yellow and blue at the winch or the contact block (not both obviously) and it should work as you intend.

Reactions: Russ989 and CMB
Meyers

Meyers

Jul 22, 2020
Madison ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Yellow and blue typically go to winch. Red and black typically to battery (or power source). Switch the yellow and blue at the winch or the contact block (not both obviously) and it should work as you intend.
All the power cables go to where they are supposed to. The winch yellow goes to yellow on contactor and blue to blue. Contactor and winch are color coded. Same for Black and red to battery and contactor. My only question is regarding the small 16 ga control wires that go go the winch contactor. Can I swap the little control wires to make it work opposite?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All the power cables go to where they are supposed to. The winch yellow goes to yellow on contactor and blue to blue. Contactor and winch are color coded. Same for Black and red to battery and contactor. My only question is regarding the small 16 ga control wires that go go the winch contactor. Can I swap the little control wires to make it work opposite?
Sorry my contact block has the lead for those under an epoxy seal. I’d guess that switching them would solve your problem though. You could always do a simple test light verification before you do it though. Presumably blue has power on in or out and black on the opposite switch throw. If so switching them will do it.

Reactions: CMB
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
The other thing before switching the wires, you could unspool all of the cable, and keep holding “in” until it is reeled back up correctly.
Did anyone ask the OP what direction the cable is spooled? It should be coming off the bottom of the spool and if It’s not it will run backwards.

Reactions: Hondasxs
advertisement
toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
That picture makes sense to me. Put some thick leather gloves on, unspool all the wire, then hold the in button with tension on the rope till it’s correct.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When all else fails, the easiest path is to switch the leads on the winch itself, they determine the direction.

Reactions: toddvdh and CMB
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
The Honda/Warn 2500 spools off the top in the factory mounting.
Does that mount the winch upside down? To clarify my statement I alway want the cable coming off the same side of the spool as the winch mounting bolts. If the Honda mount has the winch positioned with the mounting bolts up then the cable should come off the top.

Reactions: toddvdh
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
This is from the KFI instructions. I don’t think it really matters too much but having it come off the spool correctly does reduce the leverage on the mounting bolts and it changes the direction of the winch.

026C1B75 9613 41D5 A6E1 DDC036E271E4

Reactions: toddvdh and trigger
Meyers

Meyers

Jul 22, 2020
Madison ohio
Ownership

1. 500
That picture makes sense to me. Put some thick leather gloves on, unspool all the wire, then hold the in button with tension on the rope till it’s correct.
As long as the drum free spools in both directions when it is disengaged.

Reactions: toddvdh
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!