P500 Winch running backwards

TexasLineman

TexasLineman

Nov 28, 2019
Conroe
Ownership

1. 500
I know this is an older post but your fairlead along with the design or construction of the winch will determine top or bottom feed on the winch. The pic in post 10 looks wrong to me for two reasons.

1) It looks like the cable will bind on the top through bolt (from each housing end of the winch) under tension. It also looks like the angle is bad for the bend radius of the cable under tension. As the cable would have a downforce tension on it from the fairlead as it immediately travels up to go over the spool. If the fairlead mounting bolts were to ever fail the cable would be forced against the through bolt of the winch. If the fairlead mounting bolts were to fail with the cable feeding from the bottom of the spool, the tension would stay against the spool and stay clear of the through bolt unless you have 120 degrees or more of upward tension.
2) The load on mounting bolt for the winch would be applied to the head of the rear two mounting bolts with a higher force instead of spread out against the shoulder of all four mounting bolts with a load applied against the cable.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: KyGal83
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
The brake in most planetary design electric winches is direction-specific. If you spool the rope/line on the wrong way, the brake will not function properly and could lead to injury. If it's on backwards, it won't hold the load when you stop the motor.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!