P1000m5 Wiring questions

C

Cohutta

Jun 25, 2016
NWGA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm a DC wiring novice. I'm adding lights and a 2m ham radio to my P1k5. I have the aux battery and isolator installed and functioning properly. I have a wiring harness on the way with 5 relays on it. I have those relays planned for 1)front lights, 2)side lights, 3)rear lights, 4)interior lights, 5)fan under seat. It also has 10 fuses, one of which will go to the radio.

Questions:
- If I tap the brown "power on" wire for rocker switch lights, do I need a relay?
- If I add rear back-up lights(in addition to switched rear lights) and tap the back-up alarm wire, do I need a relay?

All lights are 18w LED, except the interior red LED. I'm not sure on its power.

Another question. Do you see a problem with mounting the radio bracket to the roof? I thought about under the driver's seat with a remote faceplate, but then realized I might end up in water.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I like to keep my electrical isolated as much as possible from factory wiring. I use a switch and solenoid to power my aux systems.

- If I tap the brown "power on" wire for rocker switch lights, do I need a relay?
--> Not required but mine would be if I used it. Mine connect thru the aux solenoid and fused when the switch in on.
- If I add rear back-up lights(in addition to switched rear lights) and tap the back-up alarm wire, do I need a relay?
--> Not required but mine are. Since backup lights are ground triggered you probably need a different relay - your harness is probably + triggered

I think you're one the right track keeping anything that touches factory wiring powered thru relays. The only factory wiring I touch are:
- dual battery setup via isolator
- rear backup light via relay

Some - if not all of your relayed circuits (interior light, fan etc) could be run on fused lines if you want. Saving the relays for the heaviest power users.

I'm planning to change to a three way switch for my custom systems.
Switch down - Custom systems activated by key-on power.
Switch middle - Custom system off
Switch up - Custom systems on. I'll add a warning light somewhere to remind me its on.

I'll keep everything on via key-on power most of the time but have the option to switch it to always-on so I can run stuff with the machine off.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like to keep my electrical isolated as much as possible from factory wiring. I use a switch and solenoid to power my aux systems.

--> Not required but mine would be if I used it. Mine connect thru the aux solenoid and fused when the switch in on.
--> Not required but mine are. Since backup lights are ground triggered you probably need a different relay - your harness is probably + triggered

I think you're one the right track keeping anything that touches factory wiring powered thru relays. The only factory wiring I touch are:
- dual battery setup via isolator
- rear backup light via relay

Some - if not all of your relayed circuits (interior light, fan etc) could be run on fused lines if you want. Saving the relays for the heaviest power users.

I'm planning to change to a three way switch for my custom systems.
Switch down - Custom systems activated by key-on power.
Switch middle - Custom system off
Switch up - Custom systems on. I'll add a warning light somewhere to remind me its on.

I'll keep everything on via key-on power most of the time but have the option to switch it to always-on so I can run stuff with the machine off.
What he said lol. Hey I can answer the roof question lol. If it's a factory roof, there's no problem with mounting radio bracket on it. That thing is next to indestructible. I have my light bar mounted to mine. It's tough as they come.

C

Cohutta

Jun 25, 2016
NWGA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Equipment:
- Odyssey PC925L battery
- True Dual Batt Isolator and Monitor Amazon.com: True UTV-SBI-15CM UTV Dual Battery Connect & Monitor Kit: Automotive

- Cooper Bussman relay/fuse box, positive switched Universal Relay/ fuse auxiliary distribution box jeep, Cooper Bussmann Off Road

I have the Odyssey and isolator installed, but no voltmeters. I'll install them when I install switches.

The plan is to be able to run the lights and radio with the switch off. OK plan?

Ghost, what is the purpose of the second solenoid and how is it wired? Is it switched with the ignition?

What type of relay and harness would I be looking for to run the back-up lights? Do I run a hot wire all the way to the battery? Same for the switch LED's.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!