P500 Wondering if anyone knows this cause/fix

colorblindclown

colorblindclown

Mar 1, 2020
Iowa
Ownership

1. 500
Noticed I had some oil around my axle at the front diff. Just wanted to see if anyone knew the issue or if I just need to start turning bolts and find out when its open.
20200724 160221

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
It looks like Oil is getting past the seal.
there are two probable potential causes.

1 The vent is plugged and as the diff warms up it pushes oil past the seal. This can be checked by removing the vent hose at the diff and seeing if you can blow threw the hose.

2 The seal is leaking. Probable cause is an assembly issue like it’s installed crooked or it has pushed out from where it’s supposed to be. More difficult to check, it needs some disassembly to check.

Reactions: Lburou and trigger
Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I had a brand new Yamaha do that the day I brought it home . I tapped the seal back and and it never leaked again.

colorblindclown

colorblindclown

Mar 1, 2020
Iowa
Ownership

1. 500
It looks like Oil is getting past the seal.
there are two probable potential causes.

1 The vent is plugged and as the diff warms up it pushes oil past the seal. This can be checked by removing the vent hose at the diff and seeing if you can blow threw the hose.

2 The seal is leaking. Probable cause is an assembly issue like it’s installed crooked or it has pushed out from where it’s supposed to be. More difficult to check, it needs some disassembly to check.
Ok thanks for the words of wisdom.

colorblindclown

colorblindclown

Mar 1, 2020
Iowa
Ownership

1. 500
I had a brand new Yamaha do that the day I brought it home . I tapped the seal back and and it never leaked again.
Did you just have to pull the axel to do that or did it require more take down?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!