P1000 Working machine

J

Jpbear09

Apr 14, 2016
Ns canada
Hello everyone,
I've been using this forum as a resource for a while now. I have a few questions if someone has some helpful words it'll reassure me in my choice for the p1000 as my workhorse.

I am planning on using this machine for rough cut field clearing and finish cuts for the large lawns in my rural area.

I have found a set of turf friendly radial tires that are 30" and was wondering if the p1000 can handle them without any modification. I'll be doing light highway travel with the machine and don't want to scallop or make and unwanted pressure angles from the extra 1.5 inches of travel. It's not a huge concern if I have to find another 27" set its just that I've found a good buy in Canada.

Also I was wondering if anyone has had experience with running steady lower speeds for an extended period of time on the p1000? Maybe someone who already has a trail mower?

Any advice would be great, have a good one!

H

HeavyGear

Nov 2, 2015
I farm 60 acres in Ca and use the p1k as my primary weed sprayer. I pull a 200 gal spray tank at around 5.5-6 mph. It's at that speed that I feel the rpms are high enough to keep a constant speed. When I had my Kubota RTV I would spray at 4.5 mph but that seems to be a bit slow for the Honda.
The Pioneer does great; no over heating, tight turning radius, and ergonomically comfortable to sit in for multiple hours working.
For your application, it'll depend on how thick and tall the grass is. The Honda seems out of its comfort zone 1-3 mph. 4 is okay but 5-6 low first gear seems to be the sweet spot.

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
If you are doing a lot of cutting I think I would get a large zero turn. I have a Toro 6000 I cut my farm with including pastures, if they are short enough. I had a finish mower behind my tractor but the ZTR works so much better.

Donnie

Donnie

Dec 18, 2015
SW Missouri
Something else to think about, that 5-6 mph is going to be higher if you put 30" tires on it. If anything, I would put smaller ones on it for yard work. FWIW I agree about not going much slower than 5. You'll understand once you drive the machine. It IS a manual transmission and it's just like a conventional transmission in that it needs to be "off the clutch" to avoid premature clutch failure.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hello everyone,
I've been using this forum as a resource for a while now. I have a few questions if someone has some helpful words it'll reassure me in my choice for the p1000 as my workhorse.

I am planning on using this machine for rough cut field clearing and finish cuts for the large lawns in my rural area.

I have found a set of turf friendly radial tires that are 30" and was wondering if the p1000 can handle them without any modification. I'll be doing light highway travel with the machine and don't want to scallop or make and unwanted pressure angles from the extra 1.5 inches of travel. It's not a huge concern if I have to find another 27" set its just that I've found a good buy in Canada.

Also I was wondering if anyone has had experience with running steady lower speeds for an extended period of time on the p1000? Maybe someone who already has a trail mower?

Any advice would be great, have a good one!

@Jpbear09 Welcome to the club! I am afraid the 30" tires will rub noticeably at even 1/2 turn on the drivers side and upon hitting any kind of bump from my experience, you would be better off with 27-28" tires unless you want to add a lift kit and even then the 30" will not clear sufficiently for reliable operation.

Reactions: joeymt33
J

Jpbear09

Apr 14, 2016
Ns canada
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies!

The feller down the road got the job with the municipality roadside cutting I was hoping to pick up. He's got himself a nice new tractor and a bushhog.

Either way I'll be getting one of these pretty rigs soon.

Honestly been pretty gunshy since my last side by side. ( 2009 demo model teryx) blew the engine in it 20 km back in the woods. Sold it for 5k a year after I spent 18... But I know Honda has the guts in it to last a lifetime. Still old Honda ATVs running around here older than me.

I'll be back with my experiences with the p1000.

Take care and have fun rippin and roarin'

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm sorry to here about your bad experience I think we've all had a few but you came to the right place and your next rig won't let you down. Good luck see you soon hopefully:)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!