Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I don't understand why so many people are concerned with tippiness. I don't worry about it when I have the nets up, helmet on, HANS device secured, shoulder harness on and tight and full chain mail armor, front and side air bags and that is just to unload it from the toy hauler.
Probably because personal injury isn't the paramount concern. And, a tipping event doesn't necessarily end in simply laying over onto one side. I had a situation that required me to exit the vehicle and gather rocks to fill the void between two wheels off the ground. Had my machine went over, it would have tumbled down a near vertical incline of about one hundred feet. A ride I wasn't interested in. There's a reason why Honda recalled their safety rating for the P-5

S

Sledge

I guess I'm not 100% sure about that either Joe. It just seems to me that the further out (wider and taller) the contact patch is from the centerline, the more leverage it would have on the bearing. And of course, more unsprung weight for bigger tires.

I am assuming bigger tires (27" x 11") contribute to constant wheel bearing failures on my father's Ranger crew 570. However there are surely other factors involved with that, like mud / water intrusion, vehicle weight, different brand, etc. Maybe it's an apples and oranges thing to compare the machines.

My findings seem to be that the Pioneers just don't wear out wheel bearings very much, even with bigger tires. Before making a wheel/tire purchase, I just wanted to do some research to find out the likeliness of having to do extra upkeep on the machine. I don't like replacing wheel bearings one bit.

Obviously there are other components that will have to endure the extra stress (axles, suspension arms, tie rods, etc) but I haven't found any reports of premature failures of those components either..... So I'm hoping for smooth sailing when I finally pull the trigger on some new shoes. :)

Agreed that distance from centerline matters, but that's a "long-arm" issue.

It seems to me that moving the contact patch 2" outside designed geometry within any platform would put far more sideways stress on the bearing, though.

Give me your hand, and I can put a lot more torque on your wrist than your shoulder, given similar overall movement.

Joe

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Agreed that distance from centerline matters, but that's a "long-arm" issue.

It seems to me that moving the contact patch 2" outside designed geometry within any platform would put far more sideways stress on the bearing, though.

Give me your hand, and I can put a lot more torque on your wrist than your shoulder, given similar overall movement.

Joe
I put wide tires on this Canam
800 HO Outlander 2/UP
Made it much more stable.
ass for bearings..the 4 yr
i rode the s*** out of it
......no problems.

Reactions: ehart814
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Probably because personal injury isn't the paramount concern. And, a tipping event doesn't necessarily end in simply laying over onto one side. I had a situation that required me to exit the vehicle and gather rocks to fill the void between two wheels off the ground. Had my machine went over, it would have tumbled down a near vertical incline of about one hundred feet. A ride I wasn't interested in. There's a reason why Honda recalled their safety rating for the P-5
Dude.......
pics or it never happened

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Pretty sure I've said it before, but I don't have to deal with width restricted trails. There are plenty of reasons that I went with the P500. Adding an inch or 4 doesn't turn a P500 into a P700 or 1000 wannabe. The P500 suits my needs, but putting on better tires and adding a little width will improve it for me, and it will still run circles around the big machines in tight trails. "Different strokes?" "To each his own?"

I'm seeing multiple members here adding 27" tires and adding 1 or 2" of width and running 2000-3000+ miles with no durability problems related to the bigger tires. It's getting harder and harder not to think Honda engineered the machine with expectations of owners adding bigger tires and widening the stance slightly. Even the dealer where I bought mine has a new one on the showroom floor with aftermarket rims and 26" ripsaws.... Unfortunately, I had to see that thing last weekend and it made me want to upgrade even more. I can't wait to hit the swamps with some tires I can count on!
I think you're right on the money ehart. Aftermarket wheels with different offset would achieve what is needed as well. I just wanted to keep the stock wheels. Fancy wheels just didn't make sense on this ride as it's not that flashy and more utilitarian looking to me. If you go up with the P5 you need to go out. You're just asking for a rollover otherwise. Just mho.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I think you're right on the money ehart. Aftermarket wheels with different offset would achieve what is needed as well. I just wanted to keep the stock wheels. Fancy wheels just didn't make sense on this ride as it's not that flashy and more utilitarian looking to me. If you go up with the P5 you need to go out. You're just asking for a rollover otherwise. Just mho.

Been sayin that
for awhile
good call

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Dude.......
pics or it never happened
Well, you can see that Cyndi's already hopped out and threw a few rocks under the back wheel, I'm debating whether or not it's safe for me to get out at this point. The front drivers wheel was off the ground as well before she climbed out and the precipice is on the drivers side. Hope that helps.

advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 15015
Well, you can see that Cyndi's already hopped out and threw a few rocks under the back wheel, I'm debating whether or not it's safe for me to get out at this point. The front drivers wheel was off the ground as well before she climbed out and the precipice is on the drivers side. Hope that helps.
HaHa
I love it...
props to the camera guy....

Reactions: Montecresto

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!