2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
Wow, that is significantly less expensive! Does it have quick release fasteners, or is it bolted on? And how has it stood up to the brush and tree branches dragging across it.
Held up great. I have put it to the test. Not even a scratch. Very thick plastic. It is bolted on with clamps around the roll bar.

Reactions: Montecresto
newb

newb

Oct 29, 2015
london , ar
I have the moose . Very tough . I simply trimmed the front tabs a little to accommodate
an aftermarket windshield , and the pipe insulation trick wor

Reactions: ehart814
S

Sledge

bought same moose roof for mine could not find full windshield to fit with that roof so i just bought a honda roof for mine and would sell my moose roof for 85 bucks +shipping
Don't know about shipping costs, but I'll go $90 shipped, assuming all attachment gear and instructions included, and like-new condition, sir.

Joe. I

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Take some before and after pics and let us know how you like them! I may go that route and keep the stock wheels since they just get beat up anyway.
Didn't make a drastic difference in the look but pushed them out a little. It's funny, measured width from sidewall to sidewall a couple weeks ago and was at 51". Put the 1" spacers on and measured 52 1/4" ? Maybe tire pressure, suspension hasn't squated back down yet, ambient temperature, who knows. Thought I would be at 53". I'll take it though, it'll still fit through pretty tight trails and a little less pucker factor in regards to tipping.

Wheel Spacer Front Before Wheel Spacer Front After Wheel Spacer Back Before Wheel Spacer Back After

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Didn't make a drastic difference in the look but pushed them out a little. It's funny, measured width from sidewall to sidewall a couple weeks ago and was at 51". Put the 1" spacers on and measured 52 1/4" ? Maybe tire pressure, suspension hasn't squated back down yet, ambient temperature, who knows. Thought I would be at 53". I'll take it though, it'll still fit through pretty tight trails and a little less pucker factor in regards to tipping.

View attachment 14113 View attachment 14114 View attachment 14115 View attachment 14116
Have you done some riding with the spacers? How are you liking them?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Have you done some riding with the spacers? How are you liking them?
I like them alot. Feels pretty stout now. Didn't notice it being any harder to steer as I've read either. Went with the one inch'ers and glad I didn't go any bigger. Well worth the $110 or so for the stability.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I like them alot. Feels pretty stout now. Didn't notice it being any harder to steer as I've read either. Went with the one inch'ers and glad I didn't go any bigger. Well worth the $110 or so for the stability.
Thank you for the report. I don't know if I'm going to buy spacers or just end up buying alloy rims with wider offset. I appreciate your feedback

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Honda gets the best reviews of the P-5 of any list serve out there on Hondasxs. The engineering is superior and we love the P-5 for what it is. If it's not wide enough, they make a 700 and a 1000. You can google the problems that people have had adding wheel spacers and cutting the frames to make the 50" wider. IMO, if a 50" P-5 doesn't suit your needs, you have alternatives.

Last edited:
advertisement
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Honda gets the best reviews of the P-5 of any list serve out there on Hondasxs. The engineering is superior and we love the P-5 for what it is. If it's not wide enough, they make a 700 and a 1000. You can google the problems that people have had adding wheel spacers and cutting the frames to make the 50" wider. IMO, if a 50" P-5 doesn't suit your needs, you have alternatives.
Pretty sure I've said it before, but I don't have to deal with width restricted trails. There are plenty of reasons that I went with the P500. Adding an inch or 4 doesn't turn a P500 into a P700 or 1000 wannabe. The P500 suits my needs, but putting on better tires and adding a little width will improve it for me, and it will still run circles around the big machines in tight trails. "Different strokes?" "To each his own?"

I'm seeing multiple members here adding 27" tires and adding 1 or 2" of width and running 2000-3000+ miles with no durability problems related to the bigger tires. It's getting harder and harder not to think Honda engineered the machine with expectations of owners adding bigger tires and widening the stance slightly. Even the dealer where I bought mine has a new one on the showroom floor with aftermarket rims and 26" ripsaws.... Unfortunately, I had to see that thing last weekend and it made me want to upgrade even more. I can't wait to hit the swamps with some tires I can count on!

Reactions: trigger and pFive
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
So I did a little research...

The part number for the front wheel bearing on the P500 is 44300-SB2-038

This is the same bearing used on the front of the P700 (which is a lot heavier, and has 25" tall tires from the factory). This is also the front wheel bearing for older Honda Civic's and CRX's.

The rear wheel bearing part number is 91056-HL3-A01

This bearing is also used for the rear wheel bearing on the P700.

So these wheel bearings were engineered for much heavier, much faster vehicles - before the P500 was even conceived. I love the way Honda does things. :)

I guess this explains how so many people put big tires on the P500 without issue.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Pretty sure I've said it before, but I don't have to deal with width restricted trails. There are plenty of reasons that I went with the P500. Adding an inch or 4 doesn't turn a P500 into a P700 or 1000 wannabe. The P500 suits my needs, but putting on better tires and adding a little width will improve it for me, and it will still run circles around the big machines in tight trails. "Different strokes?" "To each his own?"

I'm seeing multiple members here adding 27" tires and adding 1 or 2" of width and running 2000-3000+ miles with no durability problems related to the bigger tires. It's getting harder and harder not to think Honda engineered the machine with expectations of owners adding bigger tires and widening the stance slightly. Even the dealer where I bought mine has a new one on the showroom floor with aftermarket rims and 26" ripsaws.... Unfortunately, I had to see that thing last weekend and it made me want to upgrade even more. I can't wait to hit the swamps with some tires I can count on!
I think I've heard you mention that before indeed. I wasn't speaking to you per say, my post just happened to be after yours. It's the tippy nature of the machine that folks are countering. I've seen a lot of pictures of the P-5 on its side, not so much the wider rides.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I think I've heard you mention that before indeed. I wasn't speaking to you per say, my post just happened to be after yours. It's the tippy nature of the machine that folks are countering. I've seen a lot of pictures of the P-5 on its side, not so much the wider rides.
Definitely no argument that it's a bit tippy... I almost rolled mine doing donuts in my yard the other day... LOL that would have been embarrassing... That being said, I feel that it is wayyy more stable than it looks. The first time I saw a P500, I thought "I'd roll that thing before I made it to the trails". It's funny how many people ask me if I have problems rolling it, or tipping it over. Now that I have one, I really appreciate the narrower width compared to full size ones. However, I know that I will get more enjoyment out of it with some bigger tires and a couple more inches of width for good measure. It's such a cool, unique little machine and I am very happy I chose the 500.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Definitely no argument that it's a bit tippy... I almost rolled mine doing donuts in my yard the other day... LOL that would have been embarrassing... That being said, I feel that it is wayyy more stable than it looks. The first time I saw a P500, I thought "I'd roll that thing before I made it to the trails". It's funny how many people ask me if I have problems rolling it, or tipping it over. Now that I have one, I really appreciate the narrower width compared to full size ones. However, I know that I will get more enjoyment out of it with some bigger tires and a couple more inches of width for good measure. It's such a cool, unique little machine and I am very happy I chose the 500.
That would have been bad. Nearly every time I've been on the trail, I've had a$$ puckering situations, both of us leaning as far out of the buggy as possible in an attempt to stay on all fours, lol. But I've yet to lay it on its side, it just requires continual diligence and caution on rough trails. That said, I've been clear as well that I love the P-5 and consider it the ultimate trail machine!!!!!

Reactions: ehart814
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
That would have been bad. Nearly every time I've been on the trail, I've had a$$ puckering situations, both of us leaning as far out of the buggy as possible in an attempt to stay on all fours, lol. But I've yet to lay it on its side, it just requires continual diligence and caution on rough trails. That said, I've been clear as well that I love the P-5 and consider it the ultimate trail machine!!!!!
For sure, the slight disadvantage of "tippiness" is far outweighed by the advantage of being so nimble in the trails.

Reactions: Montecresto
S

Sledge

So I did a little research...

The part number for the front wheel bearing on the P500 is 44300-SB2-038

This is the same bearing used on the front of the P700 (which is a lot heavier, and has 25" tall tires from the factory). This is also the front wheel bearing for older Honda Civic's and CRX's.

The rear wheel bearing part number is 91056-HL3-A01

This bearing is also used for the rear wheel bearing on the P700.

So these wheel bearings were engineered for much heavier, much faster vehicles - before the P500 was even conceived. I love the way Honda does things. :)

I guess this explains how so many people put big tires on the P500 without issue.

Impressive research, ehart. Not sure that going wider wouldn't put different, unintended stresses on the bearings, though.

Still as you say, they seem to work well, at least as reported here.

I need to stay close to 50" for restricted trails. Montecresto needs to so he can haul in his pickup.

As you said, different strokes...

I would go wider for sure if I were in your position, though.

Joe

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Impressive research, ehart. Not sure that going wider wouldn't put different, unintended stresses on the bearings, though.

Still as you say, they seem to work well, at least as reported here.

I need to stay close to 50" for restricted trails. Montecresto needs to so he can haul in his pickup.

As you said, different strokes...

I would go wider for sure if I were in your position, though.

Joe
I guess I'm not 100% sure about that either Joe. It just seems to me that the further out (wider and taller) the contact patch is from the centerline, the more leverage it would have on the bearing. And of course, more unsprung weight for bigger tires.

I am assuming bigger tires (27" x 11") contribute to constant wheel bearing failures on my father's Ranger crew 570. However there are surely other factors involved with that, like mud / water intrusion, vehicle weight, different brand, etc. Maybe it's an apples and oranges thing to compare the machines.

My findings seem to be that the Pioneers just don't wear out wheel bearings very much, even with bigger tires. Before making a wheel/tire purchase, I just wanted to do some research to find out the likeliness of having to do extra upkeep on the machine. I don't like replacing wheel bearings one bit.

Obviously there are other components that will have to endure the extra stress (axles, suspension arms, tie rods, etc) but I haven't found any reports of premature failures of those components either..... So I'm hoping for smooth sailing when I finally pull the trigger on some new shoes. :)

Reactions: Sledge
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
For sure, the slight disadvantage of "tippiness" is far outweighed by the advantage of being so nimble in the trails.
I don't understand why so many people are concerned with tippiness. I don't worry about it when I have the nets up, helmet on, HANS device secured, shoulder harness on and tight and full chain mail armor, front and side air bags and that is just to unload it from the toy hauler.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I don't understand why so many people are concerned with tippiness. I don't worry about it when I have the nets up, helmet on, HANS device secured, shoulder harness on and tight and full chain mail armor, front and side air bags and that is just to unload it from the toy hauler.
You surely don't unload without also arming the fire suppression system as well, right???? lol

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!