P500 Worried about flopping

trackerjoeh

trackerjoeh

Dec 27, 2015
Cool. I think I'm in. I have a rule to always sleep on big decisions, though.

Montecresto, I was hoping to hear from ehart and you. Y'all may not like each other much, but I value you both. Very much.

Hey, since you're in eastern OK, and I'm picking this rascal up in Shawnee, any chance of us getting together and you showing me the ropes?

Joe
I may still buy that P500 I posted about earlier. Or a new one.

Seller was very cool with my concerns, which made me trust him more. Scoundrels tend to bow up when questioned, in my experience.

$2+k off new, plus a spare set of high-performance wheels/tires and a roof, with only 420 miles, is not an insignificant savings.

Now I'm concerned as to whether the P500 suits my needs again, though.

Lots of folks seem to turn 'em over! One was doing donuts, and another put the right wheels off the road into a ditch at speed.

Those don't concern me.

I'm a careful man, and am not looking to see how fast I can go. This is a tool to me. I enjoy trail riding, but am not aggressive. At all.

What concerns me is whether it will stay upright when carefully driven on Colorado mountain trails. Sometimes you have to drive around a deadfall, or turn around on a steep fall-line trail.

Maybe with an elk aboard.

The fact that it survives tip overs without damage is comforting, but I won't likely have the manpower handy to set it upright.

Any thoughts?

Joe
I have 2016 pioneer 500 goes every where other go mud holes and such but ive had it on its side last 2 times ive road it go to my face book page Joe Heiby you can see the pic of it on its side last one was pretty hairy but when we got it back on its wheels it started right up you just have to be careful they are top heavy but very tough

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Nice. A little ingenuity goes a long way when you're off the beaten path. Recently helped my father get a different machine out of a bind using a similar method... A picture says a thousand words so...
View attachment 13925

No cliff to fall down, but stuck nonetheless. This thing didn't have enough power to pull itself out like it should, but he was able to lift the tracks up out of the mud one at a time. He did that, I grabbed the biggest logs I could find laying in the woods and stuffed them under the tracks in the mud. Then it crawled right down the stream to a solid enough spot to get out. I snapped the pic right after he got it moving. U can see how deep it was by looking at the back... The mud splattered up high was from the exhaust. It was under the mud. Haha

All this to open up more trails to ride on...

Exactly. And it's all in a days trail ride. I like the pic and trick to get it out!!!!!

S

Sledge

A couple more things:

A roof seems like a good idea, but I'm real close on height for entry into my cargo trailer. Those of y'all with the Honda plastic roof--how much does it increase height at the peak of roll cage?

Also, given that it's already tippy, is it silly to be concerned about that little bit of weight added in the worst possible spot?

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
A couple more things:

A roof seems like a good idea, but I'm real close on height for entry into my cargo trailer. Those of y'all with the Honda plastic roof--how much does it increase height at the peak of roll cage?

Also, given that it's already tippy, is it silly to be concerned about that little bit of weight added in the worst possible spot?

Joe
Looks like 3"'s or so Joe. No worries on the few pounds it adds.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
A couple more things:

Joe
I have the soft roof. It's been okay, but I guess you're supposed to take it off before trailering. Sounds like you have a covered trailer so that wouldn't be a problem.

The Honda hard roof seems really nice. I just decided to save a couple bucks. Hindsight, I would have used the Honda hard roof or looked into one of those aftermarket aluminum ones.

A roof is one component where you actually have multiple good options to consider. But also consider windshields when you are looking at choosing a roof, and which ones are compatible together, if you think you will be buying a windshield down the road...

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
A couple more things:

Joe
Joe, I have the Honda OEM roof and it's 76" at the high point of the rib on the roof but I do have 25" tires. I don't think the added weight of the roof should be an issue since it is spread over the entire tope of the machine.

Last edited:
S

Sledge

Wow! Y'all were quick!

Maybe the weather stinks where you are too. Stuck indoors here. I got out for about 50 arrows in between storms this morning , but it's been butt-nasty for a solid week here in NE Texas.

Even my sweet Sally (German Shorthair Pointer) and I are getting tired of each other's company. :)

The 3" additional height is a deal-breaker for sure. Thanks, MC.

If I do have an extra inch or two, I'll save it for better tires.

Ehart, if you are saying you regret buying the soft roof, I might buy it from you.

Oh, and I still haven't committed to the machine in OK. I'm such a wuss about spending money since I retired.

The price is good till Friday, and they have two, so I may fidget and procrastinate and pester y'all until then.

It'll serve me right if they sell them both today.

Joe

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Wow! Y'all were quick!

Maybe the weather stinks where you are too. Stuck indoors here. I got out for about 50 arrows in between storms this morning , but it's been butt-nasty for a solid week here in NE Texas.

Even my sweet Sally (German Shorthair Pointer) and I are getting tired of each other's company. :)

The 3" additional height is a deal-breaker for sure. Thanks, MC.

If I do have an extra inch or two, I'll save it for better tires.

Ehart, if you are saying you regret buying the soft roof, I might buy it from you.

Oh, and I still haven't committed to the machine in OK. I'm such a wuss about spending money since I retired.

The price is good till Friday, and they have two, so I may fidget and procrastinate and pester y'all until then.

It'll serve me right if they sell them both today.

Joe

I like the soft roof. It's just not as nice as the hard ones. And surely it won't last as long. Just minor inconveniences like the straps.

Nothing wrong with being a wuss about spending money...id be better off if I was more like that.

Pester all you want until you buy one, and then pester more! Have you considered how much sally will enjoy riding shotgun? :)

I'm traveling this week for business so I'm just staring at my phone a lot since I'm alone and have nothing to do between meetings. I'm in CT at the moment. It's 64 and beautiful outside. Sure wish I could be at home riding.

S

Sledge

Oh, and Montecresto, thanks for your willingness to meet and teach me up.

I've driven 4wd off-road all my life, and raced mountain bikes, but my ATV/UTV experience is limited to a Polaris 600 quad and a Mule 600.

I wasn't clear whether you meant you'd be out of pocket entirely the next month, or that you'd be in and out.

If there's a day in the next week that would work for you, I suspect that I could learn a lot from you in a couple of hours.

Alternatively, maybe we could meet for a ride in the Ouachitas. I intend to go there at least once or twice before I tackle Colorado.

Joe

S

Sledge

I like the soft roof. It's just not as nice as the hard ones. And surely it won't last as long. Just minor inconveniences like the straps.

Nothing wrong with being a wuss about spending money...id be better off if I was more like that.

Pester all you want until you buy one, and then pester more! Have you considered how much sally will enjoy riding shotgun? :)

I'm traveling this week for business so I'm just staring at my phone a lot since I'm alone and have nothing to do between meetings. I'm in CT at the moment. It's 64 and beautiful outside. Sure wish I could be at home riding.
Thanks for the license to pester, ehart. You may regret that!

Oh, and I know how much Sally loves riding shotgun, brother.

She flat loved the Mule. We were managing a 6400 acre deer lease in West Texas then, right after I retired.

Good times, mostly. Great hunting.

The rattlesnakes were just insane, though. Outside the door, under the truck, everywhere.

I killed dozens, and never made a dent. Sally normally just barked and kept her distance, waiting for me, but she finally got bit in the throat, and nearly died.

I don't run off easy, but they ran me off when they nearly killed my girl.

They won.

Joe

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
In and out. I'm leaving for Talladega this weekend will be gone through the following Tuesday, so I'm very sorry that next week isn't an option. I will be in for a couple of days and then back off again. Hopefully we'll find a time. For a matter of fact we should plan a ride in the Ouachita's before you slip back to Grand Junction.

S

Sledge

Hopefully we'll find a time. For a matter of fact we should plan a ride in the Ouachita's before you slip back to Grand Junction.[/QUOTE]

I'd sure like that, Sir.

I can likely accommodate to your schedule.

Oh, and Alan!

I'd sure like to meet up with you for a ride in western Colorado come September!

Joe

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Hopefully we'll find a time. For a matter of fact we should plan a ride in the Ouachita's before you slip back to Grand Junction.

I'd sure like that, Sir.

I can likely accommodate to your schedule.

Oh, and Alan!

I'd sure like to meet up with you for a ride in western Colorado come September!

Joe[/QUOTE]

That would be great Joe, when it gets closer and you have an exact date let me know and I will give you my phone number. I would do it know but if you are like me you would say "What's your number again?'

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
My 26" tires will be coming in the next month and I too am considering the spacers to add a bit of stability. Adding a couple inches will have no disadvantage for me. My only concern is the added stress on the wheel bearings and suspension components. I've never used spacers so I don't know what kinds of problems they could cause long term.
Just ordered 1" spacers from Super ATV today. Don't think I would want to go much wider due to the stress on machine.

Reactions: ehart814
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Just ordered 1" spacers from Super ATV today. Don't think I would want to go much wider due to the stress on machine.
Take some before and after pics and let us know how you like them! I may go that route and keep the stock wheels since they just get beat up anyway.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the license to pester, ehart. You may regret that!

Oh, and I know how much Sally loves riding shotgun, brother.

She flat loved the Mule. We were managing a 6400 acre deer lease in West Texas then, right after I retired.

Good times, mostly. Great hunting.

The rattlesnakes were just insane, though. Outside the door, under the truck, everywhere.

I killed dozens, and never made a dent. Sally normally just barked and kept her distance, waiting for me, but she finally got bit in the throat, and nearly died.

I don't run off easy, but they ran me off when they nearly killed my girl.

They won.

Joe
Wow. Lucky that it didn't turn out worse! I'd be carrying the Judge with me all the time there...full of #6 shot...and lots of extra ammo.

S

Sledge

Take some before and after pics and let us know how you like them! I may go that route and keep the stock wheels since they just get beat up anyway.

Call me crazy, but I've always thought steel was a better material than aluminum from which to make wheels, whatever the vehicle.

Aluminum has its place, but not in wheels. Not mine, anyway.

Joe

Reactions: Montecresto
cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
A couple more things:

Joe
I went with the Moose roof. It is quite a bit cheaper, and adds only about an inch to height. I eventually wrapped the roll cage with pipe insulation to keep the roof from rattling.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I went with the Moose roof. It is quite a bit cheaper, and adds only about an inch to height. I eventually wrapped the roll cage with pipe insulation to keep the roof from rattling.
What's that roof look like ct, I can't see it in your avatar pic?

cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
What's that roof look like ct, I can't see it in your avatar pic?
S l225S l225S l225 this is the stock pics off ebay. $135.00 free shipping.

Reactions: shep
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!