Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I agree I liked the 18 back to a 15 I believe it was.

Saw this fiat today at sheetz, not sure the year but it cant be more than 5 years I wouldnt think and the rockers on both sides were shot!

View attachment 143828
That Ram shouldn’t be rusting already. I’ve seen plenty of pics of that to believe it’s a problem. It’s so weird because locally we have more problems with aluminum corrosion. It’s gotta be specific regions where a vehicle is from to determine what effects it.
We do get plenty of snow here and they use a lot of road salt so I’d assume we’d have more issues but don’t see much for newer stuff rusting. Occasionally older stuff including Toyota and many of the trucks that get pulled down from Canada are bad but that’s about it. None of my trucks have ever had issues. Last one was from the coast, Seattle. From what I’ve seen it looks like trucks that do have a problem aren’t washed properly and get a buildup of dirt and mud that holds moisture.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I agree I liked the 18 back to a 15 I believe it was.

Saw this fiat today at sheetz, not sure the year but it cant be more than 5 years I wouldnt think and the rockers on both sides were shot!

View attachment 143828

That body style started in 2009. Mine is a 16. I know a guy in my town that has one of the early (2009 ish) of those trucks and it's in much worse shape than the one you saw. Here in northwest PA you better wash em, and you better undercoat or you're not going to get more than 5 years before you're rotted. Doesn't matter what brand youre driving.

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That body style started in 2009. Mine is a 16. I know a guy in my town that has one of the early (2009 ish) of those trucks and it's in much worse shape than the one you saw. Here in northwest PA you better wash em, and you better undercoat or you're not going to get more than 5 years before you're rotted. Doesn't matter what brand youre driving.
Our friends from Kentucky always go through a car wash after driving on icy roads because of the salt accumulation.

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Allison is electronic. Why kill a fully mechanical truck with something that needs a computer and a ton of electronics? I know I think different then some but that’s my thought
I like the way u think!you should build it.Theres a lot of preppers that would pay u a lot for a vehicle that will survive the big magnetic electronics killing event.Im just stocking up on beer and wishing I still had my 1970 c10.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I like the way u think!you should build it.Theres a lot of preppers that would pay u a lot for a vehicle that will survive the big magnetic electronics killing event.Im just stocking up on beer and wishing I still had my 1970 c10.
I’m kinda old school.Like building stuff like that. Big fan of old mechanical diesels. Our camping rigs don’t need a single wire, even to start. All old crap to most anyone else but I like um
Favorite bodystyle of all time is that GM you speak of. Never had the pleasure of owning or building one. You got a picture?

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m kinda old school.Like building stuff like that. Big fan of old mechanical diesels. Our camping rigs don’t need a single wire, even to start. All old crap to most anyone else but I like um
Favorite bodystyle of all time is that GM you speak of. Never had the pleasure of owning or building one. You got a picture?
I’ll look it was actually a k 10 long bed that my dad bought,that I bought from him.He was so proud of that truck; it was brand new and he was working as a mechanic in a gas station garage bring up four sons.If I find a picture it won’t be a glory shot of the truck. It well probably a picture of the truck on a hunt or fishing picture .

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
I like the amenities of newer trucks but there is something about a vehicle that runs without any electrical control. I feel more connected driving them, and having the ability to work on them with common tools most times.

Fleet of '11-'15 6.7 F450 superduties, about 20 trucks, at work and we have lost 2 motors from dropped valves or broken glow plugs, a few tows home a year, and plenty of emissions/check engine problems. Not one truck has 100k on it yet.

That's why I cant get rid of our 98 Dodge 2500, 5.9 cummins (12V) 5 speed. It has worked itself towards a frame transplant, coming this fall if I get time. Will add a turbo and a few extra clutch plates while I'm at it. But it has always made it home, even after some abuse.

Screenshot 20190911 223252 Photos

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I like the amenities of newer trucks but there is something about a vehicle that runs without any electrical control. I feel more connected driving them, and having the ability to work on them with common tools most times.

Fleet of '11-'15 6.7 F450 superduties, about 20 trucks, at work and we have lost 2 motors from dropped valves or broken glow plugs, a few tows home a year, and plenty of emissions/check engine problems. Not one truck has 100k on it yet.

That's why I cant get rid of our 98 Dodge 2500, 5.9 cummins (12V) 5 speed. It has worked itself towards a frame transplant, coming this fall if I get time. Will add a turbo and a few extra clutch plates while I'm at it. But it has always made it home, even after some abuse.

View attachment 154699
Not sure what the check engine light even means on a 12valve. Only requires fuel so I figure it’s just a dummy light left in the dash from the gasser lol.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Air heating element on intake maybe!?!????

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
I was actually kinda kidding. But the truth is the only thing that I’ve ever heard of that it could be is alternator. There’s just nothing needed other then fuel and that’s not electronic either

VaHillbilly

VaHillbilly

NTC immigrant gardner
Supporting Member
Nov 16, 2018
Sw VA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok I knew it was new by my standards anyway. it had that sloped backwards front like a kid with buck teeth & an overbite! Made me wana stop n put some braces on the grille!

VaHillbilly

VaHillbilly

NTC immigrant gardner
Supporting Member
Nov 16, 2018
Sw VA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That Ram shouldn’t be rusting already. I’ve seen plenty of pics of that to believe it’s a problem. It’s so weird because locally we have more problems with aluminum corrosion. It’s gotta be specific regions where a vehicle is from to determine what effects it.
We do get plenty of snow here and they use a lot of road salt so I’d assume we’d have more issues but don’t see much for newer stuff rusting. Occasionally older stuff including Toyota and many of the trucks that get pulled down from Canada are bad but that’s about it. None of my trucks have ever had issues. Last one was from the coast, Seattle. From what I’ve seen it looks like trucks that do have a problem aren’t washed properly and get a buildup of dirt and mud that holds moisture.
I believe your right different areas have different problems and different cars rot faster! Around here fiat are by far the worst but Toyota tries like hell to catch em! With 1st &2nd gen tacomas being the worst! U dont see them anymore bc the frame broke or Toyota bought em back, you see fiats less than a decade with rust bubbles over the rear wheels all the time idk what it is. BUt makes me think cheap thin metal and that's why they cost less . Idk tho nobody does for sure but they will argue til they are blue in the face

VaHillbilly

VaHillbilly

NTC immigrant gardner
Supporting Member
Nov 16, 2018
Sw VA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like more than a pickup truck!
Sounds like alot of good aftermarket ideas went into this design, seems like they thought about the mechanics for once but the wont win over any Ford guys for ease of maintenance hell they use to pulling the cab to change the oil! Or replace a turbo every 80k miles or fix broke rocker arms once per year. :D:D

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I believe your right different areas have different problems and different cars rot faster! Around here fiat are by far the worst but Toyota tries like hell to catch em! With 1st &2nd gen tacomas being the worst! U dont see them anymore bc the frame broke or Toyota bought em back, you see fiats less than a decade with rust bubbles over the rear wheels all the time idk what it is. BUt makes me think cheap thin metal and that's why they cost less . Idk tho nobody does for sure but they will argue til they are blue in the face
I think a lot of the rust that some rigs suffer from is from clogged up drain holes and dirt sitting on the backside of things.
If you compare some trucks that have been in the same area all thier life, one has waisted doors and boxsides the one next to it is perfect. My ‘98 Cummins 400k miles lived its life here in Spokane with heavy snow and deicer never garaged, never had rust. I know of plenty that have. Some body styles it’s how it was washed. I think some are worse then others for having bad designs where dirt can collect and be hard to clean out.
As far as cars having s***ty metal, yes there are different qualities of steel but regardless of what people think steel has continued to get much better quality since the ol cars people refer to, more rust resistance and stronger however it is thinner.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!