alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Just a friendly comment, an engine start/stop in cold conditions can lead to condensation inside the block because of the wide swing in temperatures....

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Just a friendly comment, an engine start/stop in cold conditions can lead to condensation inside the block because of the wide swing in temperatures....
Thanks. That hadn’t occurred to me. I’ll keep it in mind.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
That's about the temp we start to wear a hoodie UP here ;)

FWIW, my Donkey starts just fine at -25f:eek:
I know, I know, some of you folks up north live in snow caves and don’t see the sun all winter. ;) -1 was more than enough for me.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Probably would have started quicker if you had waited another couple of seconds before engaging the starter. I always turn the key and wait for that red light to start blinking before turning it over.
I haven’t noticed the red light. I’ll watch for that. Thanks for the suggestion Trigger.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Thanks. That hadn’t occurred to me. I’ll keep it in mind.
I'm only mentioning it because sometimes when you see "milky residue" in a differential (use is cold weather, gears getting warm and then quickly exposed to cold, then condensation will occur, been there done that on tractors) and it does happen in engines and something I generally take into consideration when checking cold and possibly having a "false positive", i.e., believe there is a water problem in the block when in fact it is just condensation which when hot will burn off, but something to be mindful of...

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I know, I know, some of you folks up north live in snow caves and don’t see the sun all winter. ;) -1 was more than enough for me.

We call them igloos.....Actually you guys have probably received more snow than us so far, we're down for the "season to date" but it will come.
1 10 19

No worries on cold starting, just let it get good and warm like @alloutdoors mentioned, that way any moisture will evaporate instead of condensing in the engine.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I appreciate the tip on letting it warm up to evaporate any condensation. That "coldest temps" thread is unreal. I may never see lower than -1 again, so Rambo has proven himself capable in my riding conditions. :)

Reactions: Eltobgi
tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Probably would have started quicker if you had waited another couple of seconds before engaging the starter. I always turn the key and wait for that red light to start blinking before turning it over.
This was one protocol that my dealer stressed during his delivery walk through. A couples of times last fall I didn't wait and it was slow to start and then stalled almost immediately. I looked up "Starting Procedures" in the manual and there is no mention of waiting.
We have had a couple of -5*(F) days. My "Toy" is covered but not inside a building. It starts as quickly in this cold weather as it did last fall.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
This was one protocol that my dealer stressed during his delivery walk through. A couples of times last fall I didn't wait and it was slow to start and then stalled almost immediately. I looked up "Starting Procedures" in the manual and there is no mention of waiting.
We have had a couple of -5*(F) days. My "Toy" is covered but not inside a building. It starts as quickly in this cold weather as it did last fall.
This applies to any fuel injected engine, the fuel pump will run a few seconds to prime the system. You can hear it if you listen close......click, hum, click.....

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
mine doesn't start very good and it hasn't since it was new. its always rough to start and cranks a little longer than my yellow 2015 did. I don't know if I need to try a different plug or not but gonna change at first service.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
mine doesn't start very good and it hasn't since it was new. its always rough to start and cranks a little longer than my yellow 2015 did. I don't know if I need to try a different plug or not but gonna change at first service.

I changed mine out with an Iridium plug at second service. Supposed to last longer and less chance of fouling. I honestly never had a problem with the factory supplied one, threw that one in the box for a trail spare. ;)

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I just love that it starts every time, and I don't have to wonder. My 2016 Rancher was the same. Elevation, temperature, none of it matters, and that makes it more fun to me.

Reactions: Eltobgi
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I just love that it starts every time, and I don't have to wonder. My 2016 Rancher was the same. Elevation, temperature, none of it matters, and that makes it more fun to me.

It is that Honda "run/start" every time caught my eye/attention when I was a teenager working for a construction. The company was using Honda generators in remote locations, running essentially non-stop in brutal conditions (high humidity and very hot) and I don't recall ever one of them breaking down nor serviced very much, but rather just adding gas when needed. Likewise, I recall that kind of reliability in all my Honda units owned since....

ATCTim

ATCTim

Oct 11, 2018
Lake Lucy, PA
Ownership

1. 500
Something I do when it is very cold out when starting: Turn key to "on" - listen for fuel pump to prime, turn key back off, turn to "on" again, listen for pump to prime finally turn to "start" - I find the double prime actually helps tremendously in the cold weather. I have to do this on my Africa Twin and also have done this on my KFX700 as it was not fuel injected, but did have a fuel pump. It seems to start much easier this way in temperatures under 40 degrees F.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!