P500 100 mile maintenance: dealer necessary?

P

PNWGuy

The maintenance reminder just flashed on my dash as I just hit 100 miles. I remember the dealer saying they would do the first maintenance check for $245.

By the time I drive the 50 miles to the dealer, drop off the machine for a week, then come back and pick it up, I'm out nearly $300 and I've only owned it a month.

But I suppose it's better to be on the safe side in case any warranty work pops up...

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The maintenance reminder just flashed on my dash as I just hit 100 miles. I remember the dealer saying they would do the first maintenance check for $245.

By the time I drive the 50 miles to the dealer, drop off the machine for a week, then come back and pick it up, I'm out nearly $300 and I've only owned it a month.

But I suppose it's better to be on the safe side in case any warranty work pops up...
Most of us performed that maintenance ourselves.

ShotgunClay

ShotgunClay

Mar 13, 2018
Founders Ranch New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
Everything you need to know about basic service is either posted here in detail, or there's someone who can answer your questions. Also I found the Youtube channel Appalachian Mountain Riders helpful.

I've been pleased how easy P500 work is in general, except for the occasional aches and pains from having to contort a bit to get to stuff.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I agree with comments above, many here can help talk you through it and/or many great video clips on the subject. Personally, I would find a Honda dealer and get all OEM supplies (oil filter, extra air filter, GN4 oil, etc.) and keep that documentation. Changing the oil filter takes time, patience and DO NOT overtighten the bolts holding the cover on or put the oil filter in backwards. None of this is complicated and know you will get value out of doing it yourself.

A tip and something I tend to do, wash the machine well (under, engine, everything) and after all dry, begin the work as it is pleasant to work on something not dropping dirt, etc., in you're eyes....

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X

Do it yourself ! It's easy an you will get familiar with your new friend not to mention saving you a few hundred dollars .

P

PNWGuy

I do have a concern about my transmission, though. I know everyone has said that it gets smoother with time and the rocks in a washing machine sound when there is no load on it is of no concern, but now I noticed it doesn't shift normally. When in manual mode and accelerating, I shift up and everything is precise as far as it sounding like it's going into the next gear, but now there is a delay. It's like the transmission shifted, but it didn't change gears.

I've had that sort of phenomenon in older car automatic transmissions that were bad.

It's like you move the paddle, the transmission shifts, but it takes a half a second for the actual gear shift to take place.

It didn't do that at first, and it's getting worse. Which doesn't surprise me; I have been cursed with transmission problems with every vehicle I've owned... :(

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I do have a concern about my transmission, though. I know everyone has said that it gets smoother with time and the rocks in a washing machine sound when there is no load on it is of no concern, but now I noticed it doesn't shift normally. When in manual mode and accelerating, I shift up and everything is precise as far as it sounding like it's going into the next gear, but now there is a delay. It's like the transmission shifted, but it didn't change gears. I've had that sort of phenomenon in older car automatic transmissions that were bad. It's like you move the paddle, the transmission shifts, but it takes a half a second for the actual gear shift to take place.
It didn't do that at first, and it's getting worse. Which doesn't surprise me; I have been cursed with transmission problems with every vehicle I've owned... :(

A couple observations, based on what I think you are communicating. The clutch needs adjusting as stated previously and if it were me, I would go ahead and change the oil, etc., and start with clean/fresh oil with an adjustment.
The wear of a clutch is normal or it may be premature based on riding/driving characteristics. Do you lug the machine, i.e., being in a higher gear than the conditions dictate? When shifting between gears, do you let off the gas slightly then click up? These are just two items to consider....

advertisement
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just change the oil yourself. I too had the same reservations about not taking it to the dealer, of course I overcame that when I found out the initial service was $500+ dollars. I bet they just change the oil and listen for valve clatter and send you down the road with it. Amazon has the oil change kit for the p5 at a very reasonable price FYI.

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Just change the oil yourself. I too had the same reservations about not taking it to the dealer, of course I overcame that when I found out the initial service was $500+ dollars. I bet they just change the oil and listen for valve clatter and send you down the road with it. Amazon has the oil change kit for the p5 at a very reasonable price FYI.
The dealer I bought mine from only charged $200 for the first service if you bought it there. If not it is $400. I had them do my first service. Hopefully it would be done correctly and any problems would fall back on them. If they did all they claim they do I feel I got my moneys worth. I will do my service from now own. After the service I did check the cluch lock nut, both ditterential filler nuts and the oil drain nut. All had tool marks in the side of the nut as should be. Not that I feel they might take advantage of me. Lol

Last edited:
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The dealer I bought mine from only charged $200 for the first service if you bought it there. If not it is $400. I had them do my first service. Hopefully it would be done correctly and any problems would fall back on them. If they do all they claim they do I feel I got my moneys worth. I will do my service from now own. After the service I did check the cluch lock nut, both ditterential filler nuts and the oil drain nut. All had tool marks in the side of the nut as should be. Not that I feel they might take advantage of me. Lol
Sounds like you have an honest dealer, and that’s not a bad price. When I called it was $500+ for the initial service. Enjoy your p5, it’s a great machine. As much as I like my new 700-4, I miss my p5.

Reactions: rtn001
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
We never check valve clearance on the first service. Highly doubtful that they need to be checked until they are well broke in which probably isn't going to be in 20 hours or 100 miles.
I've got a '94 XR 250 R that I bought new, I've never checked the valve clearance on it. In fact I've never checked them on any machine I've ever had. If they don't start hard and aren't noisy, not going to matter much.

J

Janeen

Sep 1, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Do not currently own
Can I ask a question? We just bought Honda Pioneer 1000- the problem is we are heading to New Mexico on an elk hunt for 10 days and may go over the 100 mile 20 hour checkup. What will happen if we get 500 miles on it before we get back for the shop to do the initial service. I’m nervous we’re going to ruin it help??

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can I ask a question? We just bought Honda Pioneer 1000- the problem is we are heading to New Mexico on an elk hunt for 10 days and may go over the 100 mile 20 hour checkup. What will happen if we get 500 miles on it before we get back for the shop to do the initial service. I’m nervous we’re going to ruin it help??
You better take oil and a filter with you, 500 miles on break in oil would be stretching it.

J

Janeen

Sep 1, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Do not currently own
You better take oil and a filter with you, 500 miles on break in oil would be stretching it.
Thank you Russ989. I'm going to try and find those items today, otherwise we have to take our two rubicon's instead. I just know we'll like the side x side better so trying to make it work.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you Russ989. I'm going to try and find those items today, otherwise we have to take our two rubicon's instead. I just know we'll like the side x side better so trying to make it work.
You could take a road trip and put your 100 miles on before you go and then service it as well. Just an idea.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
An option possibly, would be to order it on Amazon and have it mailed to whatever outfitter you are using, assuming you are using an outfitter or at the hotel, etc. Don't forget the wrenches and good luck Elk hunting, post pictures....

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
@PNWGuy I suggest you do the break in service yourself. All the resources you need are right here on this very site, AND, you have the best resource of all, our members! If you have questions you know these guys are here to help.

Now I don’t know your level of mechanical abilities so ultimately you have to decide if you’re up for it. But at least read/watch the how tos, and go from there. Remember no one cares about your ride as much as you do! Good luck

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!