1000P5 Pioneer water in engine issues

Thayer18

Thayer18

Aug 26, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello I am new to this forum. I have a Pioneer 1000 I took it out on trails a few weeks ago and in less than 1 hour I got water in the oil. I have since got that fixed. It is up setting to me that this happened so easily in a machine that is suppose to be designed for off road applications. Will you or can you share with me what all I need or should do to keep this from happening again? I like my machine and I have been able to achieve some great success with it but this really frustrates me. Thank you in advance for your support.

Reactions: TripleB
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hello I am new to this forum. I have a Pioneer 1000 I took it out on trails a few weeks ago and in less than 1 hour I got water in the oil. I have since got that fixed. It is up setting to me that this happened so easily in a machine that is suppose to be designed for off road applications. Will you or can you share with me what all I need or should do to keep this from happening again? I like my machine and I have been able to achieve some great success with it but this really frustrates me. Thank you in advance for your support.
I don't know how its possible unless u went hood deep. Thats where the air intake is. Unless u had something loose. Air intake clamp, dipstick, oil filler cap, spark plug etc etc.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I can see oil in the sub trans if u went seat deep because thats where its vented.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Need more information.

What year p1k?
The early one's could get water in the intake more easily than current.

How deep was the water?
You don't say anything about a deep crossing so maybe not the issue but many on here extend there vent lines.

Finally, there is a vent from the engine crankcase to the air box.
Make sure it is 1) connected correctly so water dose not get in and 2) not plugged with somthing so it works properly.
If the crank vent is plugged a hot engine will pull in air or water when submerged due to the vacuum formed by the cooling of the water on the case.
When working correctly, any condensation in the crankcase will vaporize when the engine is run for a period of time and exit out the vent tube.
Running the vehicle once in a while should take care of any water from condensation.

Reactions: Adam490
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
There is one other possibility, check the joints on the intake duct.
If a hose clamp is over tightened the plastic duct will collapse and form a leak path.
Thought I saw a picture of this recently but I did not find it, maybe some one else will post a link.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

"It is up setting to me that this happened so easily in a machine that is suppose to be designed for off road applications"

Well, not sure what to say. I have had 2 Pioneer 1000 a 2016 that I sold with 3600 miles and currently a 2018 with about 5000 miles on it, I regularly cross creeks, even up to the headlights on occasion and have never had water in engine, subtransmission, or differentials. So not really buying into they get water in them so easy.

That said I hope you checked the sub trans, and both differentials. We do routinely see post such as yours because people buy a Pioneer but use it like a john boat.

If you are going to exceed the recommended max water depth where it's coming into your floorboards routinely and for a good period of time, it is your responsibility to extend your vent lines, especially the fuel tank. Water in fuel is 5 times more common complaint than water in oil, suprised that hasn't been an issue.

Off road applications doesn't include deep water use.

But everything @lee is suggesting are good places to start, should have soaked the air filter though to get into intake, definitely check it.

Reactions: TxDoc and TripleB
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Example of truth in posting:

Thayer18

Thayer18

Aug 26, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you for all your replies, I will read them closely. I got water in the oil I assume I was deeper than I thought I was. I wasnt able to see how far in I was but a Friend was able to. Again I am new to this and I am not a Genius on these units so I appreciate your feed back. Thank you and have a Blessed evening!

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!