2019 RAM HD 1000 lbs./ft. torque 35k towing

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Problematic years by number of complaints. Remember the older the more miles too. A couple years they had issues with the high pressure pump system but the other two companies have struggled in that area and still do.
View attachment 102412

Mine was an 03. It ducked donkey d!ck. Turned me off to dodge ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I seriously doubt it, despite all the changes, RAM still needs to demonstrate the rest of the truck doesn't fall apart around the drive train.
Seems stupid to me to buy an inferior engine because you’re worried about ball joints. Engine is the best,Jap trans has now proven itself, transfer has always been bulletproof and front/rear end is same basic as all the others. I’d rather the one without the $8-9k fuel issues and a an in-line 6 like all heavy industry runs. I’ve always said it wasn’t about the grill it’s what behind the grill.

Reactions: CPope
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Seems stupid to me to buy an inferior engine because you’re worried about ball joints. Engine is the best,Jap trans has now proven itself, transfer has always been bulletproof and front/rear end is same as all the others. I’d rather the one without the $8-9k fuel issues and a an in-line 6 like all heavy industry runs. I’ve always said it wasn’t about the grill it’s what behind the grill.
Well as we know anything mechanical can fail, for me, I had one fuel pump issue in a million miles from 3 trucks running the 6.7 engine, most 6.7 issues, just like sxs resides in modifications and what sits in the driver's seat. These yahoos that deleted emissions and run +200 hp tunes are the most vocal my power stroke is a pos crybabies there are, but won't say they messed with the truck because they want to try and get warranty service.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well as we know anything mechanical can fail, for me, I had one fuel pump issue in a million miles from 3 trucks running the 6.7 engine, most 6.7 issues, just like sxs resides in modifications and what sits in the driver's seat. These yahoos that deleted emissions and run +200 hp tunes are the most vocal my power stroke is a pos crybabies there are, but won't say they messed with the truck because they want to try and get warranty service.
6.7 is Fords best Diesel ever I won’t deny that. But it does come down to still being a v8 diesel which consists of 1/3 additional moving parts being forced in different directions with less lubrication because pistons are on their side and opposed. It’s a very complicated engine mechanically as well. There are several Cummins now over 3 million miles without anything more then a head gasket. I know for a fact most people that say how good the PS or Isuzu are if Cummins was offered in their favorite truck would have a different choice. I’m just saying engine is most important imo

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Not bad but 30k seems light after pulling well over 40k of dead weight for 400 miles up over the Cascades in a 15yo truck with a highly unbalanced load...:)
B0B4D072 2CE0 4207 A041 BC87E90F4C6C

The truck he was pulling was more then likely a Cummins because it was a semi

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I seriously doubt it, despite all the changes, RAM still needs to demonstrate the rest of the truck doesn't fall apart around the drive train.
Exactly. Didn’t demonstrate that with the wife’s wrangler. @ 65k axel was leaking. Took it in and it was a MANUFACTURING casting defect! One of the same issues we had with there trucks when I was with Roush. It didn’t help me to have confidence in buying another Dodge product even with out big discount we get. All I can say is thank god talked the wife into buying that unlimited drivetrain warranty, they said the loaded axel would have cost around 6,8000. We just pd 150$ deductible.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I always pictured him taking the -LE to work at the campground.
It’s all pavement so it should be ok for the lesser excursion.
Been there, done that already :D

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
If your done pulling trailers for a living I could picture you getting a more livable truck without duals. Something that gets into drive thru's and auto car washes.
Oh, I will likely revert to a 3/4 ton diesel. After being hooked on the hp and torque these things have in mountains doubt I would be happy with a 1/2 ton, especially when I want to tow an enclosed trailer with 3 SXS in it.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Oh, I will likely revert to a 3/4 ton diesel. After being hooked on the hp and torque these things have in mountains doubt I would be happy with a 1/2 ton, especially when I want to tow an enclosed trailer with 3 SXS in it.
Curious if you’ve sold the dlx yet?

Reactions: sharp
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Seems stupid to me to buy an inferior engine because you’re worried about ball joints. Engine is the best,Jap trans has now proven itself, transfer has always been bulletproof and front/rear end is same basic as all the others. I’d rather the one without the $8-9k fuel issues and a an in-line 6 like all heavy industry runs. I’ve always said it wasn’t about the grill it’s what behind the grill.
It doesn't matter how good the engine is if the supporting systems fail. Below is about the 20th complaint on 2017 & 2018 RAM headlights failing. Not good when your paycheck depends upon reliability, unless you can see in the dark or risk getting pulled in and fined for inoperable headlight you are grounded.

Screenshot 20190114 201805 Facebook

Reactions: Remington and sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It doesn't matter how good the engine is if the supporting systems fail. Below is about the 20th complaint on 2017 & 2018 RAM headlights failing. Not good when your paycheck depends upon reliability, unless you can see in the dark or risk getting pulled in and fined for inoperable headlight you are grounded.

View attachment 102486
We just had a 16 Ford come in with no tail lights working. There wasn’t a fuse could find. Anyways it went to the dealer for an 850$ computer.
Never seen anything this cheesy from a factory vehicle. They all have their own things. At any one time our shop is working on a couple of them all.
C168CD57 8377 4F7A B72A 179B2188E42A

Reactions: Plumber32
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
We just had a 16 Ford come in with no tail lights working. There wasn’t a fuse could find. Anyways it went to the dealer for an 850$ computer.
Wonder if it had been deleted and reprogrammed, there is a bajillion horror stories of reflashing the super duty gone wrong, most jack up the transmission.

This goes back to trouble shooting flowchart....

Did you mess with it 》Yes 》 You dumbass 》Return to stock.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Wonder if it had been deleted and reprogrammed, there is a bajillion horror stories of reflashing the super duty gone wrong, most jack up the transmission.

This goes back to trouble shooting flowchart....

Did you mess with it 》Yes 》 You dumbass 》Return to stock.
No it was an older gentleman. Like I said they ALL have issues. One has a Cummins.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
No it was an older gentleman. Like I said they ALL have issues. One has a Cummins.
Still doesn't matter how good the engine is if other components ground the truck. Sitting in the shop or worse yet roadside is still not driving.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Still doesn't matter how good the engine is if other components ground the truck. Sitting in the shop or worse yet roadside is still not driving.
Ford had the biggest lawsuit of all time based on that. Good thing the 6.7 is better. Right now the biggest things grounding diesel trucks is emissions and fuel delivery. Cummins has the least issues with the latter.
Regardless I’m a pre-99 12v guy, I will not vary from that unless forced because none of that s*** will ever ground me. No programmer needed. No faulty wiring or emp will ever bother. No burnt out glow plug falling into the engine or anything. New truck is a stick so I don’t even need starter, battery,fuses or any wires under the hood to get me home.
I’m not fighting the trucks but I know the engines and I choose dependability every time, I-6 CANNOT be argued. Even IF the two v8’s were on par the repair bill is double because they are so over engineered and tough to work on.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ford had the biggest lawsuit of all time based on that. Good thing the 6.7 is better. Right now the biggest things grounding diesel trucks is emissions and fuel delivery. Cummins has the least issues with the latter.
Regardless I’m a pre-99 12v guy, I will not vary from that unless forced because none of that s*** will ever ground me. No programmer needed. No faulty wiring or emp will ever bother. No burnt out glow plug falling into the engine or anything. New truck is a stick so I don’t even need starter, battery,fuses or any wires under the hood to get me home.
I’m not fighting the trucks but I know the engines and I choose dependability every time, I-6 CANNOT be argued. Even IF the two v8’s were on par the repair bill is double because they are so over engineered and tough to work on.

Ya International really screwed the pooch on 4 generations of diesels for Ford owners.

I agree a pre computer controlled everything would be the safest bet.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!