DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Find a leftover 1st Gen, if you can, and save money. Way more cab room, and you don't sound like you need the power of the 1000.

I'm suspecting the "improvements" on the new model are limited to the engine, dump bed, and noise level. The cab room is definitely a step backwards (sit in both and see what i mean). I like the new one a lot, but I wouldn't spend thousands more to get it over the old one. Esp my fat ass.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Find a leftover 1st Gen, if you can, and save money. Way more cab room, and you don't sound like you need the power of the 1000.

I'm suspecting the "improvements" on the new model are limited to the engine, dump bed, and noise level. The cab room is definitely a step backwards (sit in both and see what i mean). I like the new one a lot, but I wouldn't spend thousands more to get it over the old one. Esp my fat ass.
For example, Abernathy's lists a 2017 R-spec in green for $9994...
2017 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS Hunter Green w/Suntop | Abernathy's Cycles

D

Deleted member 3748

I made the switch from a 500 to the X2 R-Spec. The only thing people complain about is getting in and out of it. You adjust to that quickly. You will love everything about the X2. Save some time and get the R-Spec for the suspension upgrade. I have some X2 videos on my Youtube channel and an X2 walkaround.

Piston Yamaha

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not a coincidence. Yamaha had a plan!
20181111 153806

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I made the switch from a 500 to the X2 R-Spec. The only thing people complain about is getting in and out of it. You adjust to that quickly. You will love everything about the X2. Save some time and get the R-Spec for the suspension upgrade. I have some X2 videos on my Youtube channel and an X2 walkaround.

Piston Yamaha
Hello Honda? Hello? Can you hear me now? Hello......? Well, just in case you can hear me..... How're the color options working out for ya?

Interesting that y'all are discussing the Yamaha- I was looking at them last night, but I want a 50" machine, and it didn't look like Yami offers one.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Gotta have the 850 twin.. Waiting for the big announcement from Honda.... Then make a decision. If I gotta have a cvt, it's gonna be a yami. I'll get the base suspension- gonna replace it with air-ride anyways:cool:, no matter what I end up with. The yami is only 59" wide, that's only 6" wider than my P500 is now. I'm gonna have to test drive one on real trails too.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
I believe r spec gives you suspension, tailgate, roof, nice wheels, all expensive extras on the base. like he said 2019 is a lot faster with a bigger engine, they have been selling leftoever 18s around here fairly cheap though because of the engine upgrade most people wanted. if you aren't speed freeks you could just save the money, just make sure you get the things you want when you buy it normal cost probably give someone a heartattack. the grease depends where you ride, dust or mud always ends up in it and was a miserable job to clean it with that crud in it and it wouldnt move, it would stick one extreme or the other that's how you knew it was time again, like every year or two. so you get stuck in low or high unexpectedly and try to get back like that. same thing in the cold you have one gear till the grease warms and it starts moving again. way worth the upgrade to dry

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
All good info, no rush and will be searching for trade ins or better inventory. I kinda look around and research for a while before such a big purchase. Hope this tread keeps active as owners provide updates over time. Just like the overall styling of body and cab, along with reported better suspension. You tube gets my wallet in trouble! Thanks again and Best Wishes to Veterans on this particular day (and always).

58856E15 5766 43C9 B095 EF2E88853278

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I believe r spec gives you suspension, tailgate, roof, nice wheels, all expensive extras on the base. like he said 2019 is a lot faster with a bigger engine, they have been selling leftoever 18s around here fairly cheap though because of the engine upgrade most people wanted. if you aren't speed freeks you could just save the money, just make sure you get the things you want when you buy it normal cost probably give someone a heartattack. the grease depends where you ride, dust or mud always ends up in it and was a miserable job to clean it with that crud in it and it wouldnt move, it would stick one extreme or the other that's how you knew it was time again, like every year or two. so you get stuck in low or high unexpectedly and try to get back like that. same thing in the cold you have one gear till the grease warms and it starts moving again. way worth the upgrade to dry

2019 top speed is actually a bit slower than the original Rspec. It has both a speed limiter and an rpm limiter. It is a bit quicker though. All that being said Weller racing has cracked the ecu on the 2019 and with that and a JBS clutch/sheave, speeds of 70 mph are achievable. I personally was a bit disappointed in the new X2. The only real improvement I see is the engine. That being said I wish they would have put that in engine in the old platform. That's my 2 cents.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I am considering an X2 Rspec myself. Would like a little sportier ride while maintaining utility (read hunting) use. Love the P1K but wish it was a bit sportier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JTW

The X2 Rspec performs like the P1K LE.
Exactly.. I’m not sure the difference between a 1000 with Fox shocks and the x2 would be significant if much at all. I may be wrong but I don’t see it. Particularly if you take into account the platform of the PK5 with additional seating and the paddle shifters. To me the major advantage of the Wolverine is the trail readiness out the door. I’ve had to spend quite a bit to get my PK5 to get it where I want it.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
the place i bought mine from was having a open house sale, they had a few of both the 18 pioneers and wolverines, the base wolverine was 10500, 12 for the r spec, 14500 to 15500 plus taxes and fees

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!