Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hopefully the prison is open by Takeover

View attachment 189749
This is relevant, as Windrock just cancelled thier Shindig event that was scheduled the weekend prior to Takeover. So if prison isn't open it limits what can be experienced once there.

So if its open we go, if not let people decide if they want to drive 5 hours to look at a fence?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Make sure you do it at night.. it’s a let down if you’re planning on going during the day. And don’t be too overwhelmed lol..

2nd that, its a campfire coming out of a pile of hand sized rocks.
Eternal Flame Night

20170917 162620

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Before the trip, somebody might want to check on the road right above the train. The one that drops down to the train. Rumor has it that it is washed out in one section. Was getting bad late last fall.

The Windrock Facebook group would be able to confirm this.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Before the trip, somebody might want to check on the road right above the train. The one that drops down to the train. Rumor has it that it is washed out in one section. Was getting bad late last fall.

The Windrock Facebook group would be able to confirm this.
Thats Trail G7 and it is in terrible shape. I would not recommend taking it to anyone, It was a 2 ft washout in January, now it is double that, not sure how you would get down it without flopping over but you could winch up it. Still I consider it a no go.

This was on January 25th on what is normally a gravel road. Currently washed all the way across and much deeper.
G7 jan 25th

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well with the cancellation of the "Official Pioneer Takeover" I understand several individuals will still come to ride. That's a good thing! That said, it would be moot to go to a closed Brushy Mountain Prison, however I can still take people to the New River Train (called Abandoned Train) and the Eternal Flame, among other trails in the New River Unit. TWRA has been busy marking the trails that last year were only 2, now a few dozen are officially numbered and named even though no public maps are available (yet). However many of these trails are moderate to difficult, not extreme but will have to see what April showers do to them.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Please read my post at the following link.

I'm not sure how LEO will react to recreational activity since this limited travel has been extended through April 30th per President Trump's orders.

Campbell County Mayor is asking for essential travel only. This is new as of 3/30/2020.

That said, I don't want to risk getting anyone fined by traveling roadways in UTVs during this restricted travel period. So I strongly recommend not to go into town or ride on any roads if you come here during the effective dates set by POTUS. I will not be taking groups until this stuff settles down. Not going to crap where I eat as I have never had any issues with State or Local police even when being on unauthorized sections of roadways with off highway vehicles to this date.

@Tramguage1 @Hondasxs

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well this was posted today 4/16/2020 by Brushy Mountain, offering limited drive up or call ahead food orders at Warden's Table Restuarant, the prison is still closed for touring inside though. FYI.

Screenshot 20200416 203836 Facebook

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Jackal, I hope to meet you late Thursday or Friday morning. I am trying to leave a day or two early but as of now I can't promise that.

Reactions: JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Jackal, I hope to meet you late Thursday or Friday morning. I am trying to leave a day or two early but as of now I can't promise that.
We can plan for a Friday ride to the train, prison, etc. Supposed to be 66-70 degrees less than 20% chance of rain. Should be a great day to ride.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
For tomorrow Friday 4/24/20 I will be at RRB band stage area around 9:30 AM to see who wanted to ride on the west side of I-75 actual Royal Blue & New River units. Can hit POIs such as Eternal Flame, New River Train, and if desired "might " go to the Warden's Table to eat a late lunch at Brushy Mountain Pennetentiary IF the majority of the group wants to. The Prison is closed for tours, they do have a large outdoor covered place to sit down and eat if that's something people want to do.

I'm flexible, in the places we go and the route we take, but intend to keep trails family friendly for those who have children riding with them.

Just post a reply here if you intend to go with me. I will be ready to head out by 10AM. Will be on FRS radio channel 8 just reach out for Jackal by radio after 9:30AM.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Getting to be an old thread but I saw somthing that fits in.
The Herald in Scott county ran an artical about the train line, officially known as the Tennessee Railway.
The current owner has filed for abandonment.
It usally takes some time (like 2 years) for the government to grant a request like this but with little activity since 2008 it may go quicker.

Once the line is officially abandoned they will sell off anything they can turn a buck on.
Steel rail, bridges and any train cars have obvious value.
The cross ties, gravel ballast and even bridge embutment stones will be hauled off.

My first trip to the area was in '08, riding ATVs with the family at Brimstone.
I saw an ad for the train rides and figured it would make a good rainy day excursion in the future.
Didn't guess there would be no future.

While riding at Brimstone I came accross train tracks in the woods of the New River Railway, another defunct line to the West of Brimstone.
At the time I considered what it would take to make a hi-rail adapter for an ATV.
Seams like now is the time to do something before it's too late.

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!