Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well Folks,

While I have enjoyed being known world wide as the "truck tire guy" I've decided to take a little side venture in hopes of improving mine, and my wife's, trail riding experience. The LT or Truck tires have been great! They have done everything I've needed them to do and they have taken me a lot of awesome places, even places some said my LE would never make it ;) .... The LT tires will be on my machine 90% of the time. I'll save all those reasons for other threads. However, my LT tires are essentially 28 inches tall and on 15" inch rims. I'll save you the math and tell you they just don't ride as nice as I'd like when I hit the rocky trials of Tennessee , Arkansas, Colorado, etc.

The purpose of this is to find a better/smoother/more comfortable ride for my out of state trail riding adventures. I've talked with a lot of friends on the forum and have come to a few conclusions:
1. I do not want a lift
2. I do not want 30 inch tires
3. I want a better ride
4. I bought better springs to help with ride

5. I want a 28 inch tire on a 12 inch rim.

In my mind a 28 inch tire on 12 inch rim will perform/act similarly to a 30 inch tire on a 14 inch rim. I say that in reference to the sidewall action. Yes I know the approach angle of the 28 vs 30 inch tire is not the same.
I'll probably just get the cheap STI HD beadlocks since they wont be used that often unless someone knows of a great deal...

I'd like to hear personal accounts of people with a 28" tire on 12" rim. Here are some questions I have.

What tire do you have?
Listed height VS. actual measured height
Weight of the tire
Overall score out of 10
Price you paid
Durability against rocks or cuts
Reasons to buy or not to buy

THANKS!

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
what pressure you using, you look to see if it conforms? id probably be about 3-5 on a truck tire

Reactions: BWAF
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
doubt you would with a tire as heavy side wall as a lt. they are made to support 4 times the weight of the pioneer. why you need to use so little air to get it to move

really would watch out the side, when you going you are going over rocks you should be able to tell if its moving or not

Reactions: Remington and BWAF
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
doubt you would with a tire as heavy side wall as a lt. they are made to support 4 times the weight of the pioneer. why you need to use so little air to get it to move

really would watch out the side, when you going you are going over rocks you should be able to tell if its moving or not

Yes they are made to support 3 times the weight of a side-by-side but that is when they are aired up to 35PSI.

I have spent a great deal of time with my head hanging out the side watching the tires. Having about 8 pounds of pressure allows quite a bit of flex and excellent traction.

Having 3-4 psi as you suggest might be ok if I never exceed 5mph. Running down the trail at 15-20mph and hitting rocks or any harsh terrain is going to f*** shyt up.

I've put almost 4000 miles on LT tires. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on how they act but I could be wrong. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BWAF
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd like to hear personal accounts of people with a 28" tire on 12" rim. Here are some questions I have.

What tire do you have? Berserkers ..... 28x10x12
Listed height VS. actual measured height fully inflated was near 29", at 8# was 28", at 10# 28+"
Weight of the tire IIRC 42#
Overall score out of 10 for my desire purpose of hilly/rocky trails ...... 10
Price you paid I dont remember exactly, but it was a deal, seems it was $145
Durability against rocks or cuts .... 10+
Reasons to buy or not to buy only negative is the weight, but in my view worth it for the benefit of strength and quality. Actually did not notice any difference in performance of the machine with the heavier tires.

THANKS!
@JTW was who brought these tires to my attention and using 12" wheels. They were rubbing pretty good before I added the 814 shocks. I feel certain after adding the shocks, I could use 29" tires, maybe 30's, due to gaining so much clearance. I have only had the benefits of one 2 day ride of 'legit' use, i.e, at Coalmont in TN. Rode about 80 miles of trails plus 20 more of roads. I had ZERO complaints. Between the extra cushion of 28s on 12s, and the 814 shocks, it was unbelievable the difference in the ride vs stock ride. Vast majority of climbs could be made in 2wd, great traction. At that time I had the PSI on 10# for 'insurance'.

The rest of my mileage has been just riding around my property, in which any tire would work. I hope to get another chance for a REAL ride in the near future. For me, that is at least the distance to mid/upper Ark, or further.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@JTW was who brought these tires to my attention and using 12" wheels. They were rubbing pretty good before I added the 814 shocks. I feel certain after adding the shocks, I could use 29" tires, maybe 30's, due to gaining so much clearance. I have only had the benefits of one 2 day ride of 'legit' use, i.e, at Coalmont in TN. Rode about 80 miles of trails plus 20 more of roads. I had ZERO complaints. Between the extra cushion of 28s on 12s, and the 814 shocks, it was unbelievable the difference in the ride vs stock ride. Vast majority of climbs could be made in 2wd, great traction. At that time I had the PSI on 10# for 'insurance'.

The rest of my mileage has been just riding around my property, in which any tire would work. I hope to get another chance for a REAL ride in the near future. For me, that is at least the distance to mid/upper Ark, or further.
Awesome info thank you!

Reactions: BWAF and BigOL3
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
that was just a guess, was just trying to see if you looked for flex or not, if so i doubt any thing is going to be any different tires are going to be significantly different(except shocks). i run about 5 in everything all the quads i had, the old jeep i had too. we dont have much rock though, most important thing here is max contact with the ground for mud

Reactions: BWAF and Mudwing
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
that was just a guess, was just trying to see if you looked for flex or not, if so i doubt any thing is going to be any different tires are going to be significantly different(except shocks). i run about 5 in everything all the quads i had, the old jeep i had too. we dont have much rock though, most important thing here is max contact with the ground for mud
I understand that. I'm in iowa where we have plenty of top soil. My LT tires are great here and I can keep a low psi. When I travel to states as mentioned originally, it is very rocky and a tire with taller sidewalls will help improve the ride.

Now back to the original discussion ...

28inch tires on 12 inch rims

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
28” Berserkers!! @BigOL3 can tell you their merits. But as far as a tough tire that will stand up to the rocks and action.. 8psi and ride on!

How do the Berserkers clean out? I had Terrabytes on my last machine and I loved them, but when I would get out on the road they would throw mud for quite a while. The Kenda bearclaw htrs would clean out very quick and didn't throw near as much. I don't seem to notice it too bad with the bighorn 2.0's. As heavy as the 1000 is, I like that the Berserkers are tough. I have only gone 600 miles in the 1000 but have already ridden quite a bit with 4 or 5 adults in the machine. Honestly, i'm surprised I haven't had a flat yet. Had a couple rocks jump out in front of me...

Reactions: BWAF and BigOL3
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How do the Berserkers clean out? I had Terrabytes on my last machine and I loved them, but when I would get out on the road they would throw mud for quite a while. The Kenda bearclaw htrs would clean out very quick and didn't throw near as much. I don't seem to notice it too bad with the bighorn 2.0's. As heavy as the 1000 is, I like that the Berserkers are tough. I have only gone 600 miles in the 1000 but have already ridden quite a bit with 4 or 5 adults in the machine. Honestly, i'm surprised I haven't had a flat yet. Had a couple rocks jump out in front of me...
LOL ..... honestly, I could not tell you. I never checked that out. In mud or rocks I always had good traction. There was so much mud there in some spots, the machine was covered anyway, so throwing mud on the road never crossed my mind ..... too much fun!

Reactions: ehart814 and BWAF
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Reckon I am the only one with 28s on 12s ??????
Lol you might be! And I may be the second. I'm not finding a lot of great options in the 28s on 12s. Narrowing it down to berserkers pretty quick. I tried calling them twice today and only got voicemail.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

8 in front 11 in rear is as low as I'll go on lts and you will hit rims if going too fast

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

J

JTW

They do really well actually.. @Plumber32 is more of a mud guy than I. But I think they outperform the terrabites I had previously.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
They do really well actually.. @Plumber32 is more of a mud guy than I. But I think they outperform the terrabites I had previously.

I’m not a mud guy. I hate mud. I’d never go through it again if I could. But here in hell there is always mud and it’s unavoidable. The berserkers look a bit more open to me than the terabytes do. So I’d think they would clean out better but I’ve never seen them side by side or know anyone using berserkers. I have no doubt that they would perform well for me and my riding. Your report on their toughness is what is appealing to me. And if you say they are better than terrabytes, that sounds great. I loved the terrabytes on my 500 other than throwing mud down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JTW

I’m not a mud guy. I hate mud. I’d never go through it again if I could. But here in hell there is always mud and it’s unavoidable. The berserkers look a bit more open to me than the terabytes do. So I’d think they would clean out better but I’ve never seen them side by side or know anyone using berserkers. I have no doubt that they would perform well for me and my riding. Your report on their toughness is what is appealing to me. And if you say they are better than terrabytes, that sounds great. I loved the terrabytes on my 500 other than throwing mud down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Other than weight... they’re a freak’n badass tire! But if you want a tough tire. It’s gotta have some meat.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Careful with 12” wheels rocks can get between the brake caliper and the wheel and punch a nice hole for ventilation.

It’s happening on Talons going from 15” to 14” wheels and it happened to the boss @Hondasxs himself many a moons ago.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!