• KFI Steel

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Denali Pro

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Eagle

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Something else

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Just pick a damn plow already, you live in Ohio FFS.

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Preface: Yes, I've searched.

Planning on getting a 520 when they are released and am trying to line up mods ahead of time, assuming the 520 accepts most of the 500 mods. I've been contemplating plows for awhile now and can't quite decide on what I want or if what I want will even work together. For starters, I think I'm going to go with a Viper (wide) Elite 5000 (bigger is better?) and a KFI winch mount, which I believe I have read is a high mount; equals better angle of pull. My plowing situations are not usually rigorous by any measure. I live in Central Ohio where we haven't had a solid snowdump, IMO, in 15 or so years. It usually plays out like this; 4" of snow one day, everyone panics, ODOT plows put craters in our highways that will flatten tires and bend wheels for the next 5 years until they fix it, every wrecks anyways, 65* and melting the next day.

My plowing distances aren't extensive either. My (gravel) driveway is about 30ft wide and 200ft long. My parent's (concrete/paver) drive is roughly the same size. We do, however, own a fair amount of rental properties that we try to keep plowed/salted when it hits, so a bunch of smaller drives and such of various substrate. Neighbors will probably be plowed as well, all roughly the same size.

Now, I can't quite seem to settle on a plow as there appears to be many great choices. Here is what I am considering in order from most likely to buy, to least likely:

-KFI Pro-Poly 66" (w/ wing tips???)
-KFI Pro-S (steel) 66" w/ wing tips
-Denali Pro 66"
-Eagle 66' w/ wing tips

Some random thoughts I am having:

1. I assume the Denali is only good at pushing snow to the right being that it's assymetrical?
2. If I'm not plowing long stretches, does the Denali plow make sense for me?
3. Do you find yourself moving the blade left and right if you're doing odd shaped lots and such? Perhaps I should consider a hydraulic turn?
4. Will all of these plows work with the KFI winch mount? Is there a better option?
5. Poly vs. Steel; which is better and why? Pros and Cons?
6. I like that the Poly is taller and is still roughly the same weight (82 vs 81lb). Is the poly UHWM?
7. Does poly degrade with time? I assume that's why they make a replacement face?
8. Does snow 'stick' to steel more than poly? Do you coat your plow with wax or anything before you tackle a big job?
9. Are wing tips necessary?
10. Reading online, I found a lot of people recommending a Fall Line Polyurethane cutting edge. Necessary? Help prevent tearing up paved/poured drives?
11. Would you recommend another plow that I don't have listed here and why?
12. Your random thoughts?

Reactions: Morpheus
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have a Warn 54' Country Plow on my 08 Rancher. The machine is abohut 48" wide. Not sure why you would go with a 66" plow, seems really to big. I would think a 54 or 60 inch would be better.

I also find I don't bother tilting the plow much, I just keep the blade strait.

And as far as steel goes, I always have a snow sticking problem. I spray the blade down with Fluid Film before I go out, seems to help for a while.

I too am looking into getting a 520 with a plow, so looking forward to comments.

I would think the OEM Honda plow mount would be the best choice for a neat installation.

I am also looking into a poly blade but with 60" max.

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
I keep forgetting to try it until AFTER I get parked back in the garage and end up kicking snow off, but I've heard a good dose of cooking spray on the blade helps keep snow from sticking to it.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I have a Warn 54' Country Plow on my 08 Rancher. The machine is abohut 48" wide. Not sure why you would go with a 66" plow, seems really to big. I would think a 54 or 60 inch would be better.

I also find I don't bother tilting the plow much, I just keep the blade strait.

And as far as steel goes, I always have a snow sticking problem. I spray the blade down with Fluid Film before I go out, seems to help for a while.

I too am looking into getting a 520 with a plow, so looking forward to comments.

I would think the OEM Honda plow mount would be the best choice for a neat installation.

I am also looking into a poly blade but with 60" max.

Most of the things I could find suggested 66" for the little Honda, and 54/60" for small/large ATVs. I plan on running it angled, and a 66" blade cuts roughly a 60" wide swath at max tilt. So, 50" machine, factor in some fatter tires someday, maybe a wheel spacer, plus some wiggle room, and I figured that would work out about perfect. Seems to work for most folks from what I'm reading.

How does the Honda system mount?

Reactions: wvupsc and Shadesmn
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Most of the things I could find suggested 66" for the little Honda, and 54/60" for small/large ATVs. I plan on running it angled, and a 66" blade cuts roughly a 60" wide swath at max tilt. So, 50" machine, factor in some fatter tires someday, maybe a wheel spacer, plus some wiggle room, and I figured that would work out about perfect. Seems to work for most folks from what I'm reading.

How does the Honda system mount?
I think the Genuine Honda Plow is 54".

If you go the the Honda website and do a build on a Pioneer 500 (don't do the 520, they don't have accessories for it yet) as you add accessories you can view them, their specs and installation instructions.

D

Duckhunt

I am majorly outdated I realize but we get 10-12" of wet heavy snow regularly, and I'm still plowing with a 2000 Big Bear 400 w/ 60" cycle country blade no winch. My Dad used this same wheeler since 2002 till 2010 when he had ankle surgery and couldn't shift! Point being: you'll be just fine!!

Pops always said he hated switching to a winch. Sure it was easier but he couldn't "feel" the load that you get with a mechanical lever in the deep sh*t.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Guys, we've had one 24 inch snow in the last 10 years, I bladed it off with my tractor and all the while thinking, if I had to do this every week, I would get a snow blower?

Reactions: monaco and Jerryg
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Guys, we've had one 24 inch snow in the last 10 years, I bladed it off with my tractor and all the while thinking, if I had to do this every week, I would get a snow blower?

Plowing takes 20 mins., snow blowing takes 2 plus hrs., don't have time for all that!
P5 with a 66" blade is the perfect plow mule, no driving through snow when angled. Have no experience with poly blades but you'd play hell cracking a steel one. I've been using the entire KFI system for 4 yrs now and never had a problem. Hooking up or unhooking takes about a min. and I leave the plow bracket on all year, doesn't hinder your ground clearance at all. FWIW

PJ1

PJ1

FIREBALL P-500
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2020
Massachusetts
Ownership

1. 500
I got the Moose 60" with Warn 2500 from my dealer. It has under mount which will interfere with skid plate. Dealer returned the factory plastic skid removed with the bolts in a bag. I cut out the plastic skid to remove the section where the plow frame is and put it on that way. It's not ideal and I would like to upgrade the skid plate but dont know how to make it work. The plow frame will always be exposed unless removed.

Reactions: Morpheus and Jerryg
Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Preface: Yes, I've searched.

Planning on getting a 520 when they are released and am trying to line up mods ahead of time, assuming the 520 accepts most of the 500 mods. I've been contemplating plows for awhile now and can't quite decide on what I want or if what I want will even work together. For starters, I think I'm going to go with a Viper (wide) Elite 5000 (bigger is better?) and a KFI winch mount, which I believe I have read is a high mount; equals better angle of pull. My plowing situations are not usually rigorous by any measure. I live in Central Ohio where we haven't had a solid snowdump, IMO, in 15 or so years. It usually plays out like this; 4" of snow one day, everyone panics, ODOT plows put craters in our highways that will flatten tires and bend wheels for the next 5 years until they fix it, every wrecks anyways, 65* and melting the next day.

My plowing distances aren't extensive either. My (gravel) driveway is about 30ft wide and 200ft long. My parent's (concrete/paver) drive is roughly the same size. We do, however, own a fair amount of rental properties that we try to keep plowed/salted when it hits, so a bunch of smaller drives and such of various substrate. Neighbors will probably be plowed as well, all roughly the same size.

Now, I can't quite seem to settle on a plow as there appears to be many great choices. Here is what I am considering in order from most likely to buy, to least likely:

-KFI Pro-Poly 66" (w/ wing tips???)
-KFI Pro-S (steel) 66" w/ wing tips
-Denali Pro 66"
-Eagle 66' w/ wing tips

Some random thoughts I am having:

1. I assume the Denali is only good at pushing snow to the right being that it's assymetrical?
2. If I'm not plowing long stretches, does the Denali plow make sense for me?
3. Do you find yourself moving the blade left and right if you're doing odd shaped lots and such? Perhaps I should consider a hydraulic turn?
4. Will all of these plows work with the KFI winch mount? Is there a better option?
5. Poly vs. Steel; which is better and why? Pros and Cons?
6. I like that the Poly is taller and is still roughly the same weight (82 vs 81lb). Is the poly UHWM?
7. Does poly degrade with time? I assume that's why they make a replacement face?
8. Does snow 'stick' to steel more than poly? Do you coat your plow with wax or anything before you tackle a big job?
9. Are wing tips necessary?
10. Reading online, I found a lot of people recommending a Fall Line Polyurethane cutting edge. Necessary? Help prevent tearing up paved/poured drives?
11. Would you recommend another plow that I don't have listed here and why?
12. Your random thoughts?

I would go steel personally. Check out the Moose RM4 UTV plow mount with a 66" Moose plow they have standard and country styles. Get the pulley to run the cable through or the blade speed while raising it up and down is too fast. I used Dennis Kirk.com. You can enter in your ride and check out the system. I'm in my 2nd year running this plow set up and it has been hassle free.

Reactions: Jerryg
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It's odd that not too many people went with the OEM Honda Plow and mount.

I assume it's essentially a Warn, and Warn makes pretty good stuff.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520

I think if it was 66" more people would.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

I gave it a good look but like Austin said, blade was too small. The other thing was too many moving parts. Wet snow turns to ice and with the winch mounted low and the whole pulley system thing...less complicated seemed the better option to me.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I gave it a good look but like Austin said, blade was too small. The other thing was too many moving parts. Wet snow turns to ice and with the winch mounted low and the whole pulley system thing...less complicated seemed the better option to me.
I don't remember seeing a pulley.

Honda has removed the accessories from the 500 so i can't check it out right now.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
This is what I remember seeing. Makes you question how much lift you'd get out of it with the strap rigging?

Warn Plow

Reactions: Jerryg

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!