P1000 A Lower Reverse With Talon Parts!!!! - Honda Pioneer 1000

C

Cummins_sxe

Aug 8, 2018
NAPLES FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was too busy to get measurements today on the reverse upgrade. Probably won't happen til the middle of next week. A Pioneer with no reverse is really annoying, but I simply don't have time to make headway on it.

What about the valve lifters i was looking at the parts fish and they are different pn on the talon

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The Talon and AT both have a wider timing chain. The crank sprocket on the Pioneer is machined as part of the crank to where the others are pressed on. The cam sprocket is swappable. I didn't swap the chain due to possible wear on the crank sprocket with the chain being able to go back and forth on it.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Z

Zmorris83

The Twin TB adapter is missing a couple of mounting holes. Might not matter but I felt better boring the stock adapter.
Exactly my thinking and I'm all about saving some cash by modifying the original part.

Z

Zmorris83

How much would affect running the engine if i bore or replaced the TB adapter, replace the cam and valve springs without tuning?
because i rather do this and wait for the tuner.
You can't and you wouldn't be happy if you did. Swapping a cam without a tune results in a power loss everywhere. Even if you add in the missing fuel and make a coarse change to the timing map it will still suck. Valve timing has a dramatic effect on dynamic compression ratio so the proper timing maps for a Pioneer vs Talon/ATwin will be basically inverse of each other.

The only torque management they could have is ignition timing. That should be a timing map modifier that shouldn't be too crazy difficult to find during code disassembly.

The Talon ECM should be a huge gain. If you don't mind the really late shifts in Auto mode then that would be the best short term solution for "tuning". BE AWARE that the Talon ECU is setup for larger injectors so it won't be a direct swap for a Pioneer.

Z

Zmorris83

Nobody has cracked into the torque management yet, only fuel and timing. The stock injectors are fine. I swapped to the Talon ECU and hope to get some real riding in soon. So far it feels better but still a lot of tweaking to do.
Are you interested in opening up your Pioneer ECM to see what hardware it uses? If it uses hardware that I already have support for then would you be interested in Beta testing for me?

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Also the Talon has a bigger bore throttle body

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Quick update my oldest boy put the Talon ECM in last night after grounding PIN 16 Thanks Snuff! It worked it changed the up shift point to 5,000 in auto mode, and the dash indicators seem to be it's only hang up.
Auto tune is still learning but the performance seems to be better across the board.
I was playing on a small dirt pile and it seemed to give back some of the torque the African twin cam lost.

J

JTW

Quick update my oldest boy put the Talon ECM in last night after grounding PIN 16 Thanks Snuff! It worked it changed the up shift point to 5,000 in auto mode, and the dash indicators seem to be it's only hang up.
Auto tune is still learning but the performance seems to be better across the board.
I was playing on a small dirt pile and it seemed to give back some of the torque the African twin cam lost.
Awesome.. I see this in my future!

Reactions: GPR1500SC
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Awesome.. I see this in my future!
This is a little early to rush out and buy a ECM I think a reflash will be a better option.
Also I thought the Talon had a launch feature by pulling both paddles back that didn't work either.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Are you interested in opening up your Pioneer ECM to see what hardware it uses? If it uses hardware that I already have support for then would you be interested in Beta testing for me?

I have a Pioneer ECM begging to get violated.

Hint hint Zmorris

Reactions: red1329
J

JTW

This is a little early to rush out and buy a ECM I think a reflash will be a better option.
Also I thought the Talon had a launch feature by pulling both paddles back that didn't work either.
I agree.. just wanting some of the torque management reduced. Big tires and no IGR.. I’d like to see how it does. I already have the PCV

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I agree.. just wanting some of the torque management reduced. Big tires and no IGR.. I’d like to see how it does. I already have the PCV

I took my portals off for this project and am running on 29's
I down loaded a app to test 0 - 30 0-50 and 0-60 and would like to post some back to back tests with hard numbers instead of using my but meter

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Z

Zmorris83

I have a Pioneer ECM begging to get violated.

Hint hint Zmorris
You willing to sacrifice it to the God of Speed?

I think this ECM is going to be the same Keihin that lots of other units run so it should be as "simple" as hex disassembly, edit and bench flash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GPR1500SC
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
You willing to sacrifice it to the God of Speed?

I think this ECM is going to be the same Keihin that lots of other units run so it should be as "simple" as hex disassembly, edit and bench flash.

Yes maybe.
Mean no sacrificing for curiosity, only advancement.
PM'ing you my cell

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I down loaded a app on my phone to measure distance and this is what it came up with.
Talon PCM 0 - 30 = 78.3 feet. 0 - 50 = 348.6 feet 0 - 60 = 755 feet.
Pioneer PCM 0-30 81.3 feet 0 - 50 = 387.6 0 - 60 = 826
This was a average of three runs each
The Talon PCM from a dead stop will squall the tires and leave faint black marks turn your tires and mash on it will do a donut on the asphalt the Pioneer PCM would not do it

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!