100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You’re gonna have to paint it a nice shade of mud. That red is just too much....Welcome friend of much newness!

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh good! I'm glad to see he's on here - a fellow "YouTuber". I've seen some of his videos already. I own the "Southwest ORV" YouTube channel.
Post a link to your YouTube channel. Many here will subscribe if you’re not a horrible videographer....:eek: (must include pictures of Sasquatch)

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Just loaded it up.
.8 hrs
1 mile ODO
:)

645E668B D406 44BA AF22 94688FF6F9D3 88A64811 BA9A 4BB1 960C B624F42169CC E4E984B9 BFFA 4A20 8CA6 817595C9C596

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
You’re gonna have to paint it a nice shade of mud. That red is just too much....Welcome friend of much newness!
Thanks! Funny, but I'm one of the few dudes on this planet that DOESN'T like mud. I avoid it as much as I can. I don't mind everything else, but I really avoid mud whenever I can. So I'll paint it DUST. :)

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Start saving for a Torq Masters locker, you’ll be glad you did. Awesome improvement, even if you wait till after the warranty period.
I'll remember that. Been thinking about it already.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Congratulations! If you plan to haul it in the PU truck much, check out DG tailgate supports to angle the tailgate upwards. Take pictures, it may never be that clean again, LOL.
I took lots of pictures, and good video for a dealer pick-up video for my "Southwest ORV" channel. I'll share it here too when it's all edited - probably Mon-Tues of next week. I'll check out that tailgate.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
First Welcome from Alabama.
Regarding LED here is the easiest LED mod you can make:
https://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Extremely-Bright-Lights/dp/B00NJ9MZH0/?tag=sxsweb24-20
OEM bulbs
View attachment 91566
JDM-ASTAR bulbs
View attachment 91567
Regarding Light Bar Wiring, here is one of several good articles on adding a light bar this one has wiring diagrams too.
P500 - Wiring in an led light bar and work lights.

If you have questions, just post them in the forum, lots of great people here who will walk you through just about anything related to the P5.
forgot to mention, the JDM-ASTAR bulbs are a plug in replacement.
Thank you for those links! Question, do you think these bulbs would make the lights too bright for public streets? I will spend a decent amount of time on trafficked roads - AZ street legal. Don't want to blind people.

Reactions: CFECO
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome to the forum! These guys are on top of things as far as advice for the P5. That's what makes this forum great, the helpfulness everyone shows!

The only thing I'm not sure of is if the reverse lever bypass workes on the 2018's. I'm thinking Honda changed something so you can no longer do that but not 100% on that. Someone else with an 18' will have to chime in on that.

Anyway, most of the P5 shortcomings are now able to be addressed with some aftermarket goodies and there are some companies beginning to work on even more so better start saving some $$$ because its a great time to own a P5!
Thank you. I am already very happy with the feeling of belonging to an active "club" of people who are excited about the same thing I am. I don't mind the reverse lever - but I appreciate the pointer. I'm glad the aftermarket is paying attention to the P5. I'll do what I can to draw even more attention - Southwest ORV (YouTube)

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Pioneer 500 day 1 report:
It ships nicely in the pickup bed.
Got it home.
Family named it “Rambo”.
My wife and kids already love it, as do I. During first ride around the block, ride felt harsh. I checked tire pressure - nearly 18 psi!! So I backed them off to 10 psi. Made a big difference. I still plan to drop to about 7-8 psi.
Love the tight turn radius.
GUYS! The rear “diff” makes a lot of noise in 3-5th gears. Very loud growl that goes away when throttle pressure is removed. Definitely associated with tire/axle rotation, not engine rpms or tranny gears. I’m seeing some threads about swapping for better oil in back?

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Pioneer 500 day 1 report: It ships nicely in the pickup bed. Got it home. Family named it “Rambo”. My wife and kids already love it, as do I. During first ride around the block, ride felt harsh. I checked tire pressure - nearly 18 psi!! So I backed them off to 10 psi. Made a big difference. I still plan to drop to about 7-8 psi.
Love the tight turn radius. GUYS! The rear “diff” makes a lot of noise in 3-5th gears. Very loud growl that goes away when throttle pressure is removed. Definitely associated with tire/axle rotation, not engine rpms or tranny gears. I’m seeing some threads about swapping for better oil in back?

I'm on my second one and can say with certainty, these units are noisy for several hundred miles and smooth out with some riding. I suggest go ride it and around the second oil change or 500-700 miles, then tackle differential oil changes because in my opinion, the gears need time to wear in and oil alone will not solve it in the first 100 or so miles.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I'm on my second one and can say with certainty, these units are noisy for several hundred miles and smooth out with some riding. I suggest go ride it and around the second oil change or 500-700 miles, then tackle differential oil changes because in my opinion, the gears need time to wear in and oil alone will not solve it in the first 100 or so miles.
Ok, I’ll take your word for it. Thanks for chiming in!

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you for those links! Question, do you think these bulbs would make the lights too bright for public streets? I will spend a decent amount of time on trafficked roads - AZ street legal. Don't want to blind people.
I don't think they would be too bright, a lot of cars on the road have bright lights. I believe you can adjust the beam down a bit, like on a car, if it bothers oncoming traffic.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Pioneer 500 day 1 report:
It ships nicely in the pickup bed.
Got it home.
Family named it “Rambo”.
My wife and kids already love it, as do I. During first ride around the block, ride felt harsh. I checked tire pressure - nearly 18 psi!! So I backed them off to 10 psi. Made a big difference. I still plan to drop to about 7-8 psi.
Love the tight turn radius.
GUYS! The rear “diff” makes a lot of noise in 3-5th gears. Very loud growl that goes away when throttle pressure is removed. Definitely associated with tire/axle rotation, not engine rpms or tranny gears. I’m seeing some threads about swapping for better oil in back?
Like @alloutdoors said, these are noisy until broken in. I run a full synthetic gear oil 75W-140 and it helped a lot.

Reactions: Mudder
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I don't think they would be too bright, a lot of cars on the road have bright lights. I believe you can adjust the beam down a bit, like on a car, if it bothers oncoming traffic.

They're no brighter at all really, just a whiter light to match the led's that he'll be putting on, lol.
Congrats on the new ride @SouthwestORV and welcome to the P5 clan. These 500 guys will have all kinds of suggestions on how to make your ride better, hanging around here can tug on your wallet. :D

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks! Funny, but I'm one of the few dudes on this planet that DOESN'T like mud. I avoid it as much as I can. I don't mind everything else, but I really avoid mud whenever I can. So I'll paint it DUST. :)
I'm with you @SouthwestORV on avoiding mud, we are a group called the unmudables and we are proud.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!