Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Give it time, and you might be pleasantly surprised. I'd own one right now, except for the fact that the 2021 models are not available yet, at least nowhere close to where I live. When the time comes, I plan to strip my new Honda Pioneer 1000 down to it's bare bones, so perhaps that will give you some idea of what my intentions are. It would make a great winter project too, if Honda gets off their ass and makes them available soon.

And before anyone says "put your money where your mouth is", when I say I'm going to do something, I do it.
We shall see, I hope you do but it’s not too late to buy that General. 😂

Reactions: JenElio
D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My intent was never to say that the Honda Pioneer 1000 is a steaming pile of crap, or I wouldn't be talking about buying one. Nor am I trying to say that any of the modifications people have done are bad. I'm simply trying to approach things from a different angle, and seeing problems from a different perspective. Some of my ideas might work, and some of them might not. Only time can tell.

D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
And I will add that certain comments and jokes, like the ones in this thread, only serve to discourage people from wanting to buy a new Honda Pioneer 1000, let alone share their ideas. And if they do ultimately decide to buy one, they're far less likely to share their build progress. I've never liked forums for this very reason. The topics may change, but things are invariably the same everywhere you go. Social media sites like Facebook are filled with idiots, so there's no telling just how many people simply remain silent.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And I will add that certain comments and jokes, like the ones in this thread, only serve to discourage people from wanting to buy a new Honda Pioneer 1000, let alone share their ideas. And if they do ultimately decide to buy one, they're far less likely to share their build progress. I've never liked forums for this very reason.
Yet, here you are. 🤔 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: JenElio
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, but how long will I stay?
That really doesn’t matter, that’s up to you. I really hope you do buy a 1000 and think it’s the greatest machine ever. Like you said earlier, time will tell.

Reactions: 0860silverado
D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That really doesn’t matter, that’s up to you. I really hope you do buy a 1000 and think it’s the greatest machine ever. Like you said earlier, time will tell.

You completely missed my point. I've seen many of your Youtube videos, and you're clearly trying to promote this forum, yet this happens. Does it encourage people, or deter them?

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You completely missed my point. I've seen many of your Youtube videos, and you're clearly trying to promote this forum, yet this happens. Does it encourage people, or deter them?
So you’re saying that I helped get you here and now I’m running you off?

D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So you’re saying that I helped get you here and now I’m running you off.

No, I came of my own accord. This forum is just one of many information resources I've consulted, and despite a great deal of trepidation because it's a "forum" and a "club", I joined to "test the waters" and see if I might want to stick around. My first choice was a couple of Facebook groups about the Honda Pioneer 1000, simply due to the much larger membership base, but that ended quickly after I discovered that the monkeys were running the zoo.

As for running me off, my skin is thicker than that, as evidenced by my confrontation with another user here on day one.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your design approach is correct except for one part....definition of intended purpose.

While you are giving much focus to heat, for most, 75% of the year its a non issue.

It won’t be much longer and there will be many posts about how to increase the heat from these machines.

It’s easy to have a one sided design debate when you don’t have, Sales, Legal, Marketing, Purchasing, Finance, and Manufacturing pushing back at you.

Each dept noted has their own “intended purpose”.

Factor in the various customer bases, environments, etc and you end up with the machine in front of you.

I’d wager a bet that over 85% of the UTVs in the field have never been altered, nor have they ever had water or mud over the tops of their tires. Quite a few never leave the road anymore.

My view of a P1k5 intended purpose is a rig to haul “stuff” and be sporty enough to ride trails with my family some of the time.

Don’t take my comments as saying the current design is perfect or that improvements couldn’t be made......Just that there is more to the story.
I am sure that is true where YOU live, but only wish it was true for ME. In subtropical LA. it is just the opposite. For 75% of the year, it is UNwanted heat ....... lol

advertisement
D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am sure that is true where YOU live, but only wish it was true for ME. In subtropical LA. it is just the opposite. For 75% of the year, it is UNwanted heat ....... lol

Bingo! Some people would rather pretend that it's no longer a problem because a number of workarounds have been devised, but I've yet to see anyone really delve into it. Invariably, it's "slap a snorkle on it with a little insulation here and there, and go go go". Well, that's not how I roll.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No, I came of my own accord. This forum is just one of many information resources I've consulted, and despite a great deal of trepidation because it's a "forum" and a "club", I joined to "test the waters" and see if I might want to stick around. My first choice was a couple of Facebook groups about the Honda Pioneer 1000, simply due to the much larger membership base, but that ended quickly after I discovered that the monkeys were running the zoo.

As for running me off, my skin is thicker than that, as evidenced by my confrontation with another user here on day one.
Like I said, I hope you do buy a Pioneer but I can’t take someone who doesn’t even have one that seriously. I bought mine in November and already spent 7k+ to date upgrading and modifying it. The 1000 is a great machine, not perfect but nothing is as you well know.

D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Like I said, I hope you do buy a Pioneer but I can’t take someone who doesn’t even have one that seriously. I bought mine in November and already spent 7k+ to date upgrading and modifying it. The 1000 is a great machine, not perfect but nothing is as you well know.

So you dismiss me because I'm not in the "club". Well, I have $50,000 cash at my disposal, so a mere $7,000 in upgrades doesn't impress me. Not that I plan to spend so much money on a part-time toy, but still.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bingo! Some people would rather pretend that it's no longer a problem because a number of workarounds have been devised, but I've yet to see anyone really delve into it. Invariably, it's "slap a snorkle on it with a little insulation here and there, and go go go". Well, that's not how I roll.
My point was not that the heat from the Pioneer was unbearable to itself, but rather it is sooooooooo hot, for sooooooo long down here, and ANY extra amount of heat is not welcomed ....... lol

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So you dismiss me because I'm not in the "club". Well, I have $50,000 cash at my disposal, so a mere $7,000 in upgrades doesn't impress me. Not that I plan to spend so much money on a part-time toy, but still.
Wow, 50k.....that’s impressive for toy funds.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m not dismissing you, I hope you spend all 50k.

D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ah yes, one of the two or three Pioneer fire pictures that make the rounds every so often. Pretty sure that one was a 2016 without the muffler guard that was addressed via recall. That, or it was one of the countless wiring jobs I've seen that look like an 18 pack of natty lights wired them up.

By the way, that fire picture, and many like it, caused me to buy a new Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT last year, when the Honda Pioneer 1000 had been my first choice. The icing on the cake was when Honda seemingly told the owners to go pound sand, even after the loose throttle body recall had been issued.

Last edited:
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
By the way, that fire picture, and many like it, caused me to buy a new Kawasahi Mule Pro FXT last year, when the Honda Pioneer 1000 had been my first choice. The icing on the cake was when Honda seemingly told the owners to go pound sand, even after the loose throttle body recall had been issued.
If I were going pure utility, that Pro FXT mule is what I’d buy.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Offset question here

🤔 What are your thoughts on Tesla's Cyber Truck?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!