P1000m5 AK_Centurion's P1000-5

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pct and bobbyhill
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Got some lights mounted up, still have to finish my dash panel and dual battery set up. Thanks to every one that has posted about their mods. Would have taken me a while to have come up with all the ideas you guys have.
IMG 0740
IMG 0747
IMG 0741

32" combo bar across the front, pods for the rear and side lights.
The rears will be wired to the reverse trigger thru the Bussman PDM relay and also to a dash switch thru another relay on the Bussman.
The side lights will be off a dash switch thru the PDM. They were mounted to the rear posts and angled out enough so that the edge of the beam was not shining in the side mirrors. They light up a lot of the area that the front bar misses, plus they don't stick out much past the cage.

Reactions: pct
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
IMG 0752

First shot at a dash panel.
Horn and first volt meter will be wired to the Acc.
Missing USB (top) and Winch Power (bottom).
12 volt power will be wired off a fused led on the PDM and power the second volt meter, USB, stereo, winch power, and remaining light switches.
winch in/out will be wired to the winch power switch.

This was my first attempt, so I used part of my OEM skid. Made the cut outs a little too wide. Had to use some glue to keep the switches from moving around. Next attempt will be some textured material.

Reactions: pct and joeymt33
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Update on the Tiger Tail. With it installed at the highest position and a rear bumper, the dump bed will only go up about a third of the way before the bumper contacts the Tiger Tail.
I'll try to see if it can be mounted lower and still be able to dump the bed.

Went out on a 50+ mile ride today. I didn't feel the mount hanging up on anything and no scratches on it either. A little trail riding, dropping off ice ledges, and a few rocks.

Last edited:
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Got the dash mounted up last night. Still missing a few switches.
IMG 0792

Key on, Lights on. Voltage on the main battery.
IMG 0766

Key off, lights off. 12 volt power switch on. Voltage on Aux battery.
IMG 0791

Key on, lights on, 12 volt switch on.

The horn trigger is wired to the ACC. Main power comes from the PDM relay.
All the other switches (except the winch in/out) are triggered off the 12 volt power switch. Main power coming from the PDM.
Dual meters will help me notice if there are any charging issues.

Reactions: pct
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Got back from our ride and the wife says " You got a box by the front door".
IMG 0793

Hopefully this isn't one of the prototypes. This one had instructions.
IMG 0794

Reactions: Delton and amc019
M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
Awesome work so far!

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great write-up. Is that the factory Honda rearview mirror? If so, how do you like it? I want to get one asap - just want to know if I will be happy with it. If not the Honda factory mirror, which one did you go with and how do you like it?

Thanks,

Waylan

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Great write-up. Is that the factory Honda rearview mirror? If so, how do you like it? I want to get one asap - just want to know if I will be happy with it. If not the Honda factory mirror, which one did you go with and how do you like it?
Yes, it is a Honda mirror. I like it. It was the only mirror I ordered with the machine. Quickly realized that I needed side view mirrors also. I went with a different brand due to the cost of Genuine Honda and I know, I'll probably tear one off going down the wrong trail.

G

gokorn1

Apr 20, 2015
How's the trail to knik? Which route did you take?
I'm hoping to take the family (2 toddlers) out this weekend.

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK

Parking lot out to the river, everything was still frozen, pretty slick. We went out in the afternoon, pretty warm out. Thin layer off mud where the sun was shining. We followed the pink ribbons and took the higher trail, all the mud hole there were still frozen. Still lots of open water in the main river and questionable ice on the edges. No issues at Friday creek. Metal creek was less that a foot deep where we crossed. Lots of cows and calves, be aware. They just trotted off when we came up on them, but you never know. That water hole in the woods was thawed out, not too deep, ways around it though.

Reactions: gokorn1
G

gokorn1

Apr 20, 2015
Parking lot out to the river, everything was still frozen, pretty slick. We went out in the afternoon, pretty warm out. Thin layer off mud where the sun was shining. We followed the pink ribbons and took the higher trail, all the mud hole there were still frozen. Still lots of open water in the main river and questionable ice on the edges. No issues at Friday creek. Metal creek was less that a foot deep where we crossed. Lots of cows and calves, be aware. They just trotted off when we came up on them, but you never know. That water hole in the woods was thawed out, not too deep, ways around it though.

Thanks

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Read somewhere that the exhaust melted the Tiger Tail, have you had any problems?

I've only put about 50 miles on with the Tiger Tail installed.

Just pulled the rope out, didn't see any issues on it. The muffler guard is still in place and there is a good gap between it and the muffler. I think it should be ok.

Getting the rope wet and letting it freeze makes it a little difficult pull out and retract all the way. The section near the hook loop is fatter. That makes it harder to pull through the fairlead. The rest pull out and went back in just fine.

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Worked on getting rid of the squeak and rattles. Thanks to the info posted here: P1000 - Squeaks, Rattles and Other Adjustments

Few wraps of electrical tape on the door latches and turned out the rubber stops.

I did the bed latch a little different. I used some shrink wrap for battery cables where the latch catches under the bed.

Checked all the roll cage bolts, found a couple loose.

Didn't do the washers in the hinges yet, but I didn't have anymore noises on today's ride.

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK

Went back out there today. With the cold temps, parking lot to Knik still frozen. Jim Creek still froze over, after a ways the trail will come to the edge of some open water, go left onto the upper trail. This is normally where all the mudders go, but it is all still frozen, so smooth sailing thru there. Trail comes back to the river bed at around Friday Creek, look for the tracks of earlier riders. Was about 25 feet wide where we crossed, water didn't come to floorboards and the Pioneer just walked up the ice ledge. When we got to the big water hole in the woods, 2" of ice was on top, it was thawed the other day, so I knew how deep it was. I played ice breaker and cleared a path for the Rancher. Got to Metal Creek and couldn't find a crossing I was comfortable with. Amazing how much that one changes in a few days! We decided to get back up on the trail and follow it to the right side of the glacier. Pretty nice blue bergs down there.

G

gokorn1

Apr 20, 2015
There's s few people from all mud slingers going on Sunday. I think we're gonna tag along if I can get the motivation to take the tracks off Saturday

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!