P1000 Another heat issue question

I

IRIDERED

May 22, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am picking up my new 1000-5 this week, and I am getting a little nervous about the varying degrees of complaints about the heat issues, vent problems with this model. It seems the more that I try to learn about it the more red flags keep popping up. Is my apprehension warranted?

Reactions: Isaiah
H

HondaTech

The P1K does have its faults like any product, anything can be improved upon in the right scenario.

My GM and his buddy both had 2016 1000s and neither had extended vents, 2nd batteries or any suspension parts replaced over almost 4000 miles of Harlan County KY and multiple other places.

Atleast it won't catch on fire like a Polaris

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am picking up my new 1000-5 this week, and I am getting a little nervous about the varying degrees of complaints about the heat issues, vent problems with this model. It seems the more that I try to learn about it the more red flags keep popping up. Is my apprehension warranted?
When you say new, do you mean “new to you” brand new. All pioneers have the heat issue because you are sitting on the motor basically but there are solutions to that problem it won’t go away entirely but it is tolerable. The issue with the venting is not really an issue on new models but more of an insurance, if you are out riding trails and come across a mud hole or water crossing and it’s deeper than you thought extending the vent line helps keep water out of places it shouldn’t be. This site is full of people who didn’t do it and wished they had. Others have done it and are glad they did, it’s easy to do and cheap insurance. Hope that helps

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
There are a couple mods that makes the P1k a much better machine.
A lot of owners never have the problems discussed here.
This forum is full of information on how to make them better. When you know in advance what to look for it's much easier to deal with.

I

IRIDERED

May 22, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When you say new, do you mean “new to you” brand new. All pioneers have the heat issue because you are sitting on the motor basically but there are solutions to that problem it won’t go away entirely but it is tolerable. The issue with the venting is not really an issue on new models but more of an insurance, if you are out riding trails and come across a mud hole or water crossing and it’s deeper than you thought extending the vent line helps keep water out of places it shouldn’t be. This site is full of people who didn’t do it and wished they had. Others have done it and are glad they did, it’s easy to do and cheap insurance. Hope that helps
It's a new 2020 model. Thx

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's a new 2020 model. Thx
[/QUOTE
I have the 2020 also and just extend my vent lines, it took me about 45 minutes or so and the kit cost me 38 bucks cheap price to pay for insurance, I don’t intend to submarine my rig but sometimes sh*t happens. I got my kit from @buyouownbeer he is a member on this site and has an eBay site also, he also has a heat shield for under seat. Read some of the build treads those will give you a good idea on what to do.

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, heat is an issue. I won’t lie. In stock form, in hot weather, it’s an issue. I ride in 85 degree heat and below that number, it’s tolerable for me. Above that and the seat gets too hot for me. it can be fixed with insulation, pipe wrapping, and a bilge fan for those that want more. Understand most UTV’s have heat issues. Most have the engine mounted in a similar location. There is no getting around it. Except for the Polaris Ranger. They mount the engine way in the back. IMO, using seat insulation will go a long way to solving the problem.

advertisement
I

IRIDERED

May 22, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, heat is an issue. I won’t lie. In stock form, in hot weather, it’s an issue. I ride in 85 degree heat and below that number, it’s tolerable for me. Above that and the seat gets too hot for me. it can be fixed with insulation, pipe wrapping, and a bilge fan for those that want more. Understand most UTV’s have heat issues. Most have the engine mounted in a similar location. There is no getting around it. Except for the Polaris Ranger. They mount the engine way in the back. IMO, using seat insulation will go a long way to solving the problem.
I'll be using it on my farm primarily with a lot of stop and go riding, but I'm sure I'll hit the trails a little too. Going to follow the advice here and look at installing the additional heat shields and probably a fan as well. All in all, with these type adds it doesn't sound like the issue would be a deal breaker.
I'm tired of carrying fencing tools, chain saws and other tools on a 4 wheeler, that's the biggest reason for me looking to go the sxs route.

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would give both the Honda and the Ranger a close look. The Ranger has a good following and has demonstrated good reliability other that busted reverse chains which is caused by people tanking out their stuck buddy’s in reverse or just running too much tire. They have a comfortable cockpit especially in the XP1000. There are a lot of accessories available for Rangers. I’m sure either one will work out, but I’d try both. I settled on the Honda for the drivetrain hands down. But I’m sure the Ranger would have been a good fit also.

I

IRIDERED

May 22, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would give both the Honda and the Ranger a close look. The Ranger has a good following and has demonstrated good reliability other that busted reverse chains which is caused by people tanking out their stuck buddy’s in reverse or just running too much tire. They have a comfortable cockpit especially in the XP1000. There are a lot of accessories available for Rangers. I’m sure either one will work out, but I’d try both. I settled on the Honda for the drivetrain hands down. But I’m sure the Ranger would have been a good fit also.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I second what he said. Have a few buddies with the Rangers that use them around their property with no complaints and have had them for years. Issues start to come up when you throw big tires and lifts on them and take them out on the trails. If you have kids/grandkids that you want to bring around on the trails or do some riding the P1k excels because of its footprint. I've had mine with 3 adults, 3 kids down trails following ATV's you wouldn't be able to fit a 4 seater down without busting out a chainsaw. Same trip we dumped the kids off at the camp and loaded the entire rear down with firewood. The Pioneer is a great "Jack of all trades, master of none" machine. Drive both and be realistic with what your intentions are and you'll be good to go.

I

IRIDERED

May 22, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I second what he said. Have a few buddies with the Rangers that use them around their property with no complaints and have had them for years. Issues start to come up when you throw big tires and lifts on them and take them out on the trails. If you have kids/grandkids that you want to bring around on the trails or do some riding the P1k excels because of its footprint. I've had mine with 3 adults, 3 kids down trails following ATV's you wouldn't be able to fit a 4 seater down without busting out a chainsaw. Same trip we dumped the kids off at the camp and loaded the entire rear down with firewood. The Pioneer is a great "Jack of all trades, master of none" machine. Drive both and be realistic with what your intentions are and you'll be good to go.
The points that you make are spot on with what I am contemplating. I love the versatility of the 1000-5 and am sure there will be times that I would like to haul the extra passengers. I took a short ride on a friends 1000-3, and given the time I was on it there were a lot of things that I liked. I did not ride it long enough though to heat the engine up to see for myself how significant the issue is. The drive train, reliability and flexibility of the 1000-5 are in my opinion, the biggest draws to the machine.
There is a local Polaris dealer that has a very good reputation in our community. I think I'll pay him a visit today and give the Ranger a little closer look. Hopefully I'll be able to test ride one to make a better informed decision.

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The points that you make are spot on with what I am contemplating. I love the versatility of the 1000-5 and am sure there will be times that I would like to haul the extra passengers. I took a short ride on a friends 1000-3, and given the time I was on it there were a lot of things that I liked. I did not ride it long enough though to heat the engine up to see for myself how significant the issue is. The drive train, reliability and flexibility of the 1000-5 are in my opinion, the biggest draws to the machine.
There is a local Polaris dealer that has a very good reputation in our community. I think I'll pay him a visit today and give the Ranger a little closer look. Hopefully I'll be able to test ride one to make a better informed decision.
Be aware there are two distinct levels of Ranger 1000’s. The basic “Ranger 1000” is a lower output, slightly smaller version of the XP1000. They both are good machines, but are both worth of a look. The XP1000 is naturally more expensive, but is loaded up with more features and sports 82HP. The 4 door version is a big unit, but will carry 6 people. And no heat issues. Yes, the quality isn’t Honda, but they aren’t bad machines.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow, that’s not bad now see if you can get him to throw in a windshield and roof if it doesn’t come with them. You made a great choice on the P1K 5 D lux same buggy I got and love it. Congrats!!🍻

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have to add those but he did offer a discount on the accessories.
Nice, if he gives you a discount you may want to grab them Honda is real proud of their stuff , unless you had other plans for those items. If you get stuck on a problem this site is full of people that know their 💩 and will be glad to help, good luck and remember... pics or it didn’t happen.

Reactions: Mudwing and Isaiah
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!