P500 Anyone install a 2" receiver?

D

Deleted member 3748

I just installed the Moose 2" receiver, bought from Dennis Kirk. It was ridiculously easy to install and took me about 10 minutes. This unit is well built and at $80, why wouldn't anyone install it on any P5 because of the of 2" hitches and available accessories. My real question is why doesn't Honda install this type of receiver as standard equipment?
You're exactly right. I have two hitches that cost about $25 each. I could either spend $50 and buy two more for the factory hitch or spend $30 more for the Moose hitch and not have to have 4 hitches to deal with. Plus the height is higher, etc, etc. It's a smart upgrade.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

I just installed the Moose 2" receiver, bought from Dennis Kirk. It was ridiculously easy to install and took me about 10 minutes. This unit is well built and at $80, why wouldn't anyone install it on any P5 because of the of 2" hitches and available accessories. My real question is why doesn't Honda install this type of receiver as standard equipment?
Agreed.. because they make a whole lot more on the stripped down version!

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I would guess Honda does not put them on because people would tend to overload them - both in tow rating and tongue weight. Someone would drop 3k trailer behind a P500 and try to head down a 25 deg slope... Not that you can't do it with a tiny hitch but at least it is less likely.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!