gatorguy

May 15, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Has anyone tried out a 2" receiver on the P5? I'm looking at this one on Ebay:
New Heavy Duty 2-Inch Rear Receiver Hitch - 2015-2016 Honda Pioneer 500 UTV

Looks to me like you can still use the factory location as well. I was looking for a higher hitch point and 2" receiver since I have several in that size lying around. My only problem is I can't seem to find any pictures of one installed or any personal reviews etc.

Reactions: JACKAL
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I know some have installed them... @PistonHonda maybe??

Looks like a much stronger setup than factory. I've abused mine (1-1/4" factory setup) quite a bit, and haven't had an issue yet.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Looks to me like you can still use the factory location as well. I was looking for a higher hitch point and 2" receiver since I have several in that size lying around. My only problem is I can't seem to find any pictures of one installed or any personal reviews etc.
Yep like ehart said @PistonHonda did and it's a dandy. Not sure where he's got that posted at but you might pm him and he'll help you out.

gatorguy

gatorguy

May 15, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Thanks @Montecresto & @ehart814! I've abused my stock hitch as well but I like the idea of adding that plate. I'd hate to overload the stock location as it would twist right under the rear differential and mess up geometry. I feel like the plate would break or warp before anything else is harmed but I could be wrong.

Obviously I don't plan on overloading the hitch anytime soon but sometimes duty calls, ya know? lol

D

Deleted member 3748

Thanks @Montecresto & @ehart814! I've abused my stock hitch as well but I like the idea of adding that plate. I'd hate to overload the stock location as it would twist right under the rear differential and mess up geometry. I feel like the plate would break or warp before anything else is harmed but I could be wrong.

Obviously I don't plan on overloading the hitch anytime soon but sometimes duty calls, ya know? lol

I've overloaded mine pretty good with two yards of topsoil in my trailer.

I installed a Polaris retriever in the original hitch receiver.

IMAG00852

Z

Zombeaver

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2016
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
I did have this hitch draw bar in my Honda until the 2" Moose receiver arrived.
Honda hitch

kenmo

kenmo

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2016
mayfield, ky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I made this adapter from 1 1/4 to 2 inch. I really like it because it also raised it up some. I have saw these on ebay too.

Reactions: ehart814
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

That looks pretty cool, nice find and thanks for sharing. I just use a REESE adapter but it is not nearly as strong as the setup you posted.

Z

Zombeaver

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2016
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Since the factory receiver is only rated for 100# I would worry about overloading the basket-3 bags of corn and you have overloaded it.

kenmo

kenmo

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2016
mayfield, ky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
yeah, I would use good judgement, but I think up too 200 lb would be safe.

advertisement
gatorguy

gatorguy

May 15, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
After reading @PistonHonda thread on the Moose receiver, I decided to order one for myself. I feel like the P5 should roll out from the factory with a hitch like this. It is very well made, install is a breeze, and now I can use all of my 2" ball mounts. The higher mounting position is a big plus too. I haul around my 5x10 utility trailer a lot carrying fence materials, cattle feed, deer corn etc. and it will be nice to have the tongue a little higher off the ground.

Here's @PistonHonda thread - P500 - Moose 2" Receiver Hitch Installation
Here's where I bought mine - Moose Receiver Hitch - 4504-0113 ATV & UTV - Dennis Kirk, Inc.
That was my first time buying from Dennis Kirk. They had very affordable shipping and fast processing. I will order from them again.

IMG 1138 zpsavo3ktzq

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
After reading @PistonHonda thread on the Moose receiver, I decided to order one for myself. I feel like the P5 should roll out from the factory with a hitch like this. It is very well made, install is a breeze, and now I can use all of my 2" ball mounts. The higher mounting position is a big plus too. I haul around my 5x10 utility trailer a lot carrying fence materials, cattle feed, deer corn etc. and it will be nice to have the tongue a little higher off the ground.

Here's @PistonHonda thread - P500 - Moose 2" Receiver Hitch Installation
Here's where I bought mine - Moose Receiver Hitch - 4504-0113 ATV & UTV - Dennis Kirk, Inc.
That was my first time buying from Dennis Kirk. They had very affordable shipping and fast processing. I will order from them again.

View attachment 22801
I haven't the need for it, I use my Polaris Ranger to do all the ranch work you're speaking of, I bought the P5 strictly for the trail. But, if I ever needed a 2", that's the one I'd get. I've liked it ever since I saw Pistons install, it's clearly top quality. Glad you like it and good luck using it.

Last edited:
J

JTW

So I'm having a hard time judging how close the muffler is to the hitch.. It there much concern about baking into the trailer hitch and hitting the muffler?

D

Deleted member 3748

So I'm having a hard time judging how close the muffler is to the hitch.. It there much concern about baking into the trailer hitch and hitting the muffler?
I'll be doing some work with the trailer today. I'll take a look and let you know.

Reactions: JTW
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Since the factory receiver is only rated for 100# I would worry about overloading the basket-3 bags of corn and you have overloaded it.
Dude...I pulled camp trlr around
my place.....3,000 lbs. In low
not a problem. ..that's on the
original hitch

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!