P1000m5 Battery/charging issue

N

Nipper

May 11, 2017
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought my 16 1k5 less than two weeks ago about 100 miles from the house. About 3 days in the rig wouldnt start. I had to be out of town for work do i just manned up and ordered a replacement (equivalent) battery from Amazon as i plan on going to dual batteries soon anyway. I get my battery in yesterday and put it on and ran the sxs all afternoon. Got on it to pen cattle this am and no fire. When i checked a few days ago, the charging system showed to be working. Any ideas?

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A couple of questions; how do you know charging system is working? If it's only 2 weeks old why don't you take it back to dealer, i understand its 100 mi away, should be under warrenty, which should include the battery, if the problem wasn't solved with new battery, you got something else going on. JMHO

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A easy way to check the charging system is first charge the battery and get it started, then unhook the pos. terminal from the battery, if the charging system is working it will still run, if it's not it will stop running because it does not have any electricity.

Reactions: trigger and JTW
N

Nipper

May 11, 2017
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just havent had time to take it back to the dealer with work. If a battery fixed it i figured i would cut my losses. A battery is cheap vs a trip to drop it off and a trip to pick it up. Ill try thay

Reactions: Jshell3
J

JTW

I bought my 16 1k5 less than two weeks ago about 100 miles from the house. About 3 days in the rig wouldnt start. I had to be out of town for work do i just manned up and ordered a replacement (equivalent) battery from Amazon as i plan on going to dual batteries soon anyway. I get my battery in yesterday and put it on and ran the sxs all afternoon. Got on it to pen cattle this am and no fire. When i checked a few days ago, the charging system showed to be working. Any ideas?
This isn't a charging issue... mine does it too as do a lot of others here. I think it's a flooding issue by the computer... but I don't know why?

N

Nipper

May 11, 2017
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I only use not ethanol fuel. What is computer flooding?

advertisement
N

Nipper

May 11, 2017
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess i should have been more clear. There was no power at all. I finally had time to mess with it today. Put a charged battery on and nothing. In the process of looking around in the fues box i touched the 50 amp main and heard a click. What?!? Looked closely and saw evidence of arcing. Checked the screws and they were loose. Cleaned up the terminals and tightened the screws and she fired up! Checked the power with my fluke and we have 14 volts! Back in business. Still dont have an explanation for the dead battery but Im on the road again.

J

JTW

I guess i should have been more clear. There was no power at all. I finally had time to mess with it today. Put a charged battery on and nothing. In the process of looking around in the fues box i touched the 50 amp main and heard a click. What?!? Looked closely and saw evidence of arcing. Checked the screws and they were loose. Cleaned up the terminals and tightened the screws and she fired up! Checked the power with my fluke and we have 14 volts! Back in business. Still dont have an explanation for the dead battery but Im on the road again.
Ahhhh... well that changes things. Glad you found it!

Reactions: Nipper
S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Glad you found the problem, I think it would be a safe bet the loose screws caused the charging problem

Reactions: Nipper

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!