P1000 Bilge Fan questions...

Z

Zbugsii

Feb 24, 2017
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry to post this... but I have a couple of questions... Firstly... I did some searches... but did not seem to find what I was looking for...

1. Which fan unit is most people using and why?
2. What are your thoughts about getting the fan wet or submersed in water? This may not be an issue depending if the fan is "waterproof", but inquiring minds.... ?
3. How noisy are the fans at idle? Both for the single and the dual mounted ones?

When I perform a general search on the internet... there are many out there.. so just trying to narrow things down.

Thanks

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's not too loud at idle. I usually turn mine on when it get real hot or if I'm about to hit a puddle to blow the steam from the water hitting the motor back.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think @joeymt33 said he completely submerged his and it's fine the same.

I bought the Atwood 4"

It's regular loud. Lol

Can't hear it when you're driving. Definitely hear it when motor is off.

It moves the air pretty good, and tough as nails.

Mine is been submerged a few times. I have I think a five amp fuse on it and it will blow the fuse when it goes underwater just from the resistance of the water that is applied to the fanblades. So far so good. The fan is rather cheap and I've already got all the wiring done, so if the fan quits I'll just replace it with another.

I will go on to say, after using the power commander to make the fuel mixture a little more rich and making a heatshield it goes all the way at the back I really need the fan anymore. I didn't have to use it at the take over because it just never got hot

J

Jshell3

My backseat riders ask me to turn the fan on from time to time. I don't notice a difference unless I have my arm across the top of the seat back.
It does help. But as you say, a heat barrier is money well spent.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is been submerged a few times. I have I think a five amp fuse on it and it will blow the fuse when it goes underwater just from the resistance of the water that is applied to the fanblades. So far so good. The fan is rather cheap and I've already got all the wiring done, so if the fan quits I'll just replace it with another.

I will go on to say, after using the power commander to make the fuel mixture a little more rich and making a heatshield it goes all the way at the back I really need the fan anymore. I didn't have to use it at the take over because it just never got hot
The fan is fairly cheap. I had to buy 2. When I got everything wired up I turned it on and was adjusting it before i tightened it up and my finger got hit by the fan and broke one of the fins off. I guess I should have read the warnings. Lol

J

JTW

The fan is fairly cheap. I had to buy 2. When I got everything wired up I turned it on and was adjusting it before i tightened it up and my finger got hit by the fan and broke one of the fins off. I guess I should have read the warnings. Lol
Better than losing a finger!

Reactions: sharp
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your finger got hit by the fan?? Come on, say it right.....You stuck your finger into the fan lmao

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I have a partial heat shield and a single 4 inch fan - the fan helps a lot in warm weather.

I'm thinking about connect the fan to a cabin vent outlet like some guys have. Does that improve the cooling effect of the fan?
And does reversing the flow help keep you warm in cold weather - I dont have an enclosed cab but heard rumours it helps...

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a partial heat shield and a single 4 inch fan - the fan helps a lot in warm weather.

I'm thinking about connect the fan to a cabin vent outlet like some guys have. Does that improve the cooling effect of the fan?
And does reversing the flow help keep you warm in cold weather - I dont have an enclosed cab but heard rumours it helps...
I have vents mounted behind my legs but no hoses connecting them to my fans. I reversed polarity to them and couldn't feel any warm air at all last winter. Using a hose would probably help that.

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
I installed 1 3" fan but I would
like more cooling, so I will
probably install the second
one eventually, and will
consider buying a 4" if needed.

But I do think the 3" fan helped.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I installed 1 3" fan but I would
like more cooling, so I will
probably install the second
one eventually, and will
consider buying a 4" if needed.

But I do think the 3" fan helped.
I have two 3" fans and checked my seat temp (with temp gun) against @joeymt33 with his one 4" fan. We covered the exact same ground and his seat was cooler than mine (can't remember the exact difference but it was noticeable). If my 2 ever go out I'm going with the single 4".

CMH

CMH

May 17, 2017
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have looked at the bilge fan upgrade and am considering it. I also looked at 6"-8" automotive cooling fans. The flow rating of an automotive fan is nearly double a double 4" fan setup. If some is good, more is better, right? Anybody else looked into this design? If you spend a little more on the automotive fan, you can get one with the same seal rating as the bilge fans.

Also, what are folks in the 5 person machines doing to keep the back seat cool? It looks to me like you need to seal around the back of the engine cover where it dumps into the back to keep from just collecting the heat, even with bilge fans.

Thoughts on either idea?

Thanks,

Casey

J

Jshell3

I have looked at the bilge fan upgrade and am considering it. I also looked at 6"-8" automotive cooling fans. The flow rating of an automotive fan is nearly double a double 4" fan setup. If some is good, more is better, right? Anybody else looked into this design? If you spend a little more on the automotive fan, you can get one with the same seal rating as the bilge fans.

Also, what are folks in the 5 person machines doing to keep the back seat cool? It looks to me like you need to seal around the back of the engine cover where it dumps into the back to keep from just collecting the heat, even with bilge fans.

Thoughts on either idea?

Thanks,

Casey
I'm pretty sure @CumminsPusher did exactly this... Perhaps he'll chime in w/ some feedback (and pics)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Works great moves A LOT of air in fact I suggest a variable control. Uses less amps and is quiet also should take abuse very well. I can say 8 inch is the perfect size. We don't even have the heat shield installed and the set up makes a drastic difference helps on the backseat as well
IMG 7515
IMG 7514

After testing it seemed to pull better then push so I mounted backwards pushing straight down the tunnel out across the motor and exhaust

Last edited:
CMH

CMH

May 17, 2017
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
CumminsPusher - that is pretty much what I had in mind. What did you use for mounts for the fan?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
CumminsPusher - that is pretty much what I had in mind. What did you use for mounts for the fan?
Angle iron. 3 pieces 2 down 1 across top. I can take better pics tonight

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Have not washed it yet so a little hard to see. Was thinking 1 across top but changed last minute.
Basically two t's. Changed for better strength.
IMG 7540
IMG 7541

This actually turned out pretty decent I was really worried with fan size but it's ok. The bracket is the toughest part obviously but not tough with a welder or a buddy with one lol.

Last edited:
J

JTW

Thoughts on either idea?

Thanks,

Casey
I'm actually going to make this change to mine from a bilge fan..

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!