BOX1

P1000 Bilge Fan questions...

J

Jshell3

Have not washed it yet so a little hard to see. Was thinking 1 across top but changed last minute.
Basically two t's. Changed for better strength. View attachment 43885View attachment 43886
This actually turned out pretty decent I was really worried with fan size but it's ok. The bracket is the toughest part obviously but not tough with a welder or a buddy with one lol.
I'm actually going to make this change to mine from a bilge fan..
That's great. I go and do a mod, and then get out done by a better mod.

I'm just sitting here thinking of ways to 1 up you!

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I have looked at the bilge fan upgrade and am considering it. I also looked at 6"-8" automotive cooling fans. The flow rating of an automotive fan is nearly double a double 4" fan setup. If some is good, more is better, right? Anybody else looked into this design? If you spend a little more on the automotive fan, you can get one with the same seal rating as the bilge fans.

Also, what are folks in the 5 person machines doing to keep the back seat cool? It looks to me like you need to seal around the back of the engine cover where it dumps into the back to keep from just collecting the heat, even with bilge fans.

Thoughts on either idea?

Thanks,

Casey
I used an infrared thermometer in the back seat area and the plastics are MUCH cooler with the bilge fan running. Was over a year ago so I forgot the numbers.

J

JTW

That's great. I go and do a mod, and then get out done by a better mod.

I'm just sitting here thinking of ways to 1 up you!
Lol.. dad is going to add a second under his seat so I just figured I'll give him mine and put in a larger one.

Reactions: sharp
J

Jshell3

Lol.. dad is going to add a second under his seat so I just figured I'll give him mine and put in a larger one.
I wouldn't not do it... but I'd have to get a request from the backseat passengers. Front is fine already.

Reactions: sharp and JTW
WHITEP1K5

WHITEP1K5

Apr 7, 2017
WEST VIRGINIA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is it possible to put a bigger fan in, perhaps a 10-12" under the seat @CumminsPusher ? I have a new one at home that I never used and had the idea to use it instead of a bilge fan, guess someone beat me to it lol

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Is it possible to put a bigger fan in, perhaps a 10-12" under the seat @CumminsPusher ? I have a new one at home that I never used and had the idea to use it instead of a bilge fan, guess someone beat me to it lol
I originally measured it out and thought 10" fan would go but I tried and no go it hits the motor because it's got to mount under that center brace for the seat. Bigger is better so I was trying.
Fans are measured two different ways- actual fan blade size and housing size. An 8" fan or 10" housing will fit. Larger will not go without major modifications or the fan not mounted to aim down the tunnel.
There is a ton of air movement with these and they are pretty quiet been very happy so far. I've seen up to a 27 degree drop on the digital meter without use of under seat cover so I believe very effective probably even as much in the back. You can feel hot air coming out by right rear tire

Last edited:
CMH

CMH

May 17, 2017
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I originally measured it out and thought 10" fan would go but I tried and no go it hits the motor because it's got to mount under that center brace for the seat. Bigger is better so I was trying.
Fans are measured two different ways- actual fan blade size and housing size. An 8" fan or 10" housing will fit. Larger will not go without major modifications or the fan not mounted to aim down the tunnel.
There is a ton of air movement with these and they are pretty quiet been very happy so far. I've seen up to a 27 degree drop on the digital meter without use of under seat cover so I believe very effective probably even as much in the back. You can feel hot air coming out by right rear tire
For what it's worth, I did some mock ups using different sized paper plates before I ordered my fan and I came to the same conclusion - a 7-8" fan, with a 9-10" total space requirement is the most you can go.

Reactions: sharp and WHITEP1K5
WHITEP1K5

WHITEP1K5

Apr 7, 2017
WEST VIRGINIA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been trying to get time too see if it will work hadn't really had a chance to pull the seat off since I put the heat shield in. I also wondered if I put one or two 4 inch bilge fans in and cut out vent holes in the lower portion of the seat and ran a short piece of duct hose to the fan where it would pull somewhat cooler air from the floor of the cab across the engine? Just kinda brain storming and bouncing ideas around.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
IMG 0226
IMG 0227
IMG 0228
These are best pics I could take of install and clearances.
The last one shows angle for pushing heat down the tunnel

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've been trying to get time too see if it will work hadn't really had a chance to pull the seat off since I put the heat shield in. I also wondered if I put one or two 4 inch bilge fans in and cut out vent holes in the lower portion of the seat and ran a short piece of duct hose to the fan where it would pull somewhat cooler air from the floor of the cab across the engine? Just kinda brain storming and bouncing ideas around.
We used two small 3 in fans coming into the cabin for heat and the have marine vents so they can be open or closed for heating or cooling with the big fan. I've noticed less dust in the cab with them open while fan is on however it doesn't seem to be much different for cooling either way

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!