P1000 Changing/painting plastics

J

jpanicaro

Oct 26, 2020
SWFL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi everyone, when I bought my 1K5 a few weeks ago I had originally wanted black but the dealer only had the adventure green in stock and they were selling like hot cakes so I bought it. Has anyone removed the hood and fenders and painted them or swapped the plastics out? I have a base model so the only color on the machine is the hood and top of the fenders along with the sticker on the back door. Any advice or pictures on how hard it is to remove the plastics would be appreciate. Thanks everyone.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hi everyone, when I bought my 1K5 a few weeks ago I had originally wanted black but the dealer only had the adventure green in stock and they were selling like hot cakes so I bought it. Has anyone removed the hood and fenders and painted them or swapped the plastics out? I have a base model so the only color on the machine is the hood and top of the fenders along with the sticker on the back door. Any advice or pictures on how hard it is to remove the plastics would be appreciate. Thanks everyone.
Use the search bar up top and look for color panel swap/or similar. Lots of info, there are some links posted throughout on what/where to purchase.

Oh and welcome from South FL!!
The all black is nice but.........red is the fastest!!😉
#NTC
Pics or it didn't happen!

J

jpanicaro

Oct 26, 2020
SWFL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Use the search bar up top and look for color panel swap/or similar. Lots of info, there are some links posted throughout on what/where to purchase.

Oh and welcome from South FL!!
The all black is nice but.........red is the fastest!!😉
#NTC
Pics or it didn't happen!

Thanks, I tried searching a little bit but couldn't really seem to find any info on the 1000-5. Thanks for the welcome, I am in the Alva area if you're familiar with that area.

Honda

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks, I tried searching a little bit but couldn't really seem to find any info on the 1000-5. Thanks for the welcome, I am in the Alva area if you're familiar with that area.

View attachment 234249
Im not too familiar with all the code/part #s but I know partsfish.com RATV and a few other places sell the plastics.
I know the Alva area just from driving through it on 80 on my way west. Y'all got any decent riding spots out there?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do I need to remove the front bumper and everything? The batteries and all that?
The battery will need to be removed along with a few other items under the hood. The biggest pain is removing/installing the 4 screws around the headlights from underneath. I will be very honest, in my wife was tired of waiting for me to change our machine from yellow that she actually had the front fender removed when I got home one day so I knew it was time to get it done. The panels are fairly inexpensive and I changed my deluxe from the 2018 yellow to the 2016 silver for about $275 for all 8 deluxe panels. Another option you might be interested in is there is a forum member that was making custom wraps that everyone really liked.

advertisement
J

jpanicaro

Oct 26, 2020
SWFL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im not too familiar with all the code/part #s but I know partsfish.com RATV and a few other places sell the plastics.
I know the Alva area just from driving through it on 80 on my way west. Y'all got any decent riding spots out there?

We ride out in North Fort Myers sometimes and hit Lazy Springs occasionally.

J

jpanicaro

Oct 26, 2020
SWFL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The battery will need to be removed along with a few other items under the hood. The biggest pain is removing/installing the 4 screws around the headlights from underneath. I will be very honest, in my wife was tired of waiting for me to change our machine from yellow that she actually had the front fender removed when I got home one day so I knew it was time to get it done. The panels are fairly inexpensive and I changed my deluxe from the 2018 yellow to the 2016 silver for about $275 for all 8 deluxe panels. Another option you might be interested in is there is a forum member that was making custom wraps that everyone really liked.

Any tips for removing those 4 screws?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They really aren't to bad, just the worst part of the job. Like I said my wife had it taken apart so I can't take any credit for that. Extra hands definitely helped getting it back together because she could move it around until it lined up.

If you need help finding a color let me know. I bought mine from Rockymountain ATV and Procaliber and just found the color of deluxe I liked and looked them up through the OEM parts finder. The LE and Camo panels are priced really high but the colored panels are pretty reasonable and even come with the decals installed. The 2016 silver hood was a little over $40 which I thought wasn't too bad.

J

jpanicaro

Oct 26, 2020
SWFL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They really aren't to bad, just the worst part of the job. Like I said my wife had it taken apart so I can't take any credit for that. Extra hands definitely helped getting it back together because she could move it around until it lined up.

If you need help finding a color let me know. I bought mine from Rockymountain ATV and Procaliber and just found the color of deluxe I liked and looked them up through the OEM parts finder. The LE and Camo panels are priced really high but the colored panels are pretty reasonable and even come with the decals installed. The 2016 silver hood was a little over $40 which I thought wasn't too bad.

Great, thanks! I'm not sure if I am just going to buy new panels or paint them with a bedliner type paint. I guess need to start working on this now as I just got my second battery and everything installed last week. Before I button everything up I need to make a decision. Thanks again.

amgdriver

amgdriver

Oct 4, 2020
Amelia Island Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im in the same boat. My 17 Rincon is black. My land Cruiser is black. The dealer had a black 1k5 but it was loaded ip with crap I did not like/need so I bought the camo example which is ok but i would also like black. Plus the camo gets scratched up in the woods and is expensive as hell to fix when u sell the unit. Changing out the hood plastic piece is a labor nightmare. The other pieces are not that bad and panels are not that expensive. They must be removed and painted or wrapped piece by piece. My unit is new and still at the dealer getting rigged waiting on accessories. Please keep us up to speed on this mod and I will do likewise

advertisement