P1000 Changing/painting plastics

amgdriver

amgdriver

Oct 4, 2020
Amelia Island Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just remembered a post on U tube where a guy switched out plastic pannels with his friend who had an identical unit of a different color. it would be worth your while to check it out. He also indicates that the hood piece change out is a b**** as all the bolts screws wires brackets have to come off and be re -attached. Looks like a 12 beer tool throwing bad language kind of deal to me.

Reactions: Isaiah and TripleB
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wouldn't let the changing of the fender be too intimidating for anyone with any mechanical ability. I guess someone could say it's a b$%^& to do, but I'm guessing they are also the people that might take there stuff to town to get something fixed. The battery is easily removed, the electrical connectors don't even have to be unplugged, and the hose clamp for the air inlet has to be removed from the bottom. Like I said earlier the hardest part is removing/reinstalling the 4 little screws(#19) that hold the fender to the side panels in the front. My biggest worry was dropping something down the air intake. It really was an easy job that should take less then an hour. My biggest problem was removing some of the allen head bolts from the deluxe panels in the doors because they had them so torqued down that I ended up stripping the heads on 4 of them. They were the real "b#$%^".

Reactions: Isaiah and TripleB
J

jpanicaro

Oct 26, 2020
SWFL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im in the same boat. My 17 Rincon is black. My land Cruiser is black. The dealer had a black 1k5 but it was loaded ip with crap I did not like/need so I bought the camo example which is ok but i would also like black. Plus the camo gets scratched up in the woods and is expensive as hell to fix when u sell the unit. Changing out the hood plastic piece is a labor nightmare. The other pieces are not that bad and panels are not that expensive. They must be removed and painted or wrapped piece by piece. My unit is new and still at the dealer getting rigged waiting on accessories. Please keep us up to speed on this mod and I will do likewise

Yeah, similar issue with me. I have actually decided I may not go this route right now, especially after watching a video of all the stuff that needs to be disconnected to remove the hood/fender surround piece. I might do it sometime in the future but for now I think I am going to leave it as is. I have also spent the last 2 weeks building a custom fiberglass stereo roof for the Honda and my wife is kind of annoyed that I have been spending all of my free time on it lol.

B

bluepythons

Feb 16, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s not so bad, takes some time but IMO worth doing. I swapped from red to grey and the result is great. This is also a great time to do any other upgrades. When I had my front out I ran wires for all of my auxiliary lights, rear, domes etc, and got things in place for the rest of my upgrades such as LED headlights, power controller, 2nd battery kit etc. Must have tools are body panel tool, ratchet/socket set as the bumper and guard comes off. I used a power tool many times and if you’re smart with it you won’t damage anything.
At about 9:00 or so in this video you can see a time lapse of me doing the swap.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!