P1000 Clutches...

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Sounds like the last 1/3rd of Trail 26. That is a serious spot when muddy like it was. I can definitely see that happening with a failed brake line. Those switchback are a 42 degrees incline. I got on it like that in a P500 and it cold barely crawl it up in fist gear, just stalled in 2nd.

What is annoying about all of this is that your P500 stalled in 2nd gear, which means it was spinning the crank shaft and not spinning the wheels, which by default means that the clutch was slipping.

You can do that in a $10k machine with no damage but in a $20k machine, you do that for 10 seconds and ruin the clutch....

:mad:

Reactions: JTW
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
What is annoying about all of this is that your P500 stalled in 2nd gear, which means it was spinning the crank shaft and not spinning the wheels, which by default means that the clutch was slipping.

You can do that in a $10k machine with no damage but in a $20k machine, you do that for 10 seconds and ruin the clutch....

:mad:
Every design has its strength and weaknesses.

J

JTW

As long as they take care of me I have no problem with it... I just want it fixed, and fixed right. I don't want to have to worry about it in the future. Throwing another set of the same clutches in isn't a fix. It's just a bandaid if the issue isn't fixed with them.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
As long as they take care of me I have no problem with it... I just want it fixed, and fixed right. I don't want to have to worry about it in the future. Throwing another set of the same clutches in isn't a fix. It's just a bandaid if the issue isn't fixed with them.

Please let us know what they do, if anything, to make improvements.

I have gotten the impression from others experiences that it was just a clutch replacement but maybe there is a second step that isn't always clear that they do.

Reactions: pct
D

Deerslayer

Apr 15, 2017
Sylacauga, Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have been reading about clutches and gear reduction because I want to purchase the p1000 next year and these issues have put a lot of doubt in my mine about honda. I hope honda has the will to fix this because this seems to be a real problem since they talk about no belts I have a kawasaki with a belt and have never had problems. Does anyone know that this clutch issue is being officially addressed by honda. I think something is going to have to change with this machine.

J

JTW

I have been reading about clutches and gear reduction because I want to purchase the p1000 next year and these issues have put a lot of doubt in my mine about honda. I hope honda has the will to fix this because this seems to be a real problem since they talk about no belts I have a kawasaki with a belt and have never had problems. Does anyone know that this clutch issue is being officially addressed by honda. I think something is going to have to change with this machine.
Yeah.. they're working on it. It's really not a big deal.. just more of a pain in the ass. Like I say... as long as they get it done and taken care of, who cares? So long as the rest of us aren't left out to dry! My biggest complaint at this point is the lack of e-brake! I believe I would have been one of those got a little time out of the clutches before they failed. But it was eventually going to happen.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
J

JTW

It won't happen.. but it would be VERY interesting to see everyone put them in a similar controlled situation and time the moment of failure. I think everyone would be surprised how close to failure they really are. I think that why driver error is playing such a huge role in many. I knew what was coming with mine but I had no choice and I really didn't expect it to be so rapid.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It won't happen.. but it would be VERY interesting to see everyone put them in a similar controlled situation and time the moment of failure. I think everyone would be surprised how close to failure they really are. I think that why driver error is playing such a huge role in many. I knew what was coming with mine but I had no choice and I really didn't expect it to be so rapid.

I think there is a stack up of tolerances that puts those that have that combination at a marginal operational state and a slight mistake on an operators part and you get slipping. That is why some people can wear them out with no problems and others get slipping.

What I am afraid of is that when they do come up with a fix, it will be like the water ingestion fix.

We do need an e-brake.

Reactions: JTW
advertisement
J

JTW

I think there is a stack up of tolerances that puts those that have that combination at a marginal operational state and a slight mistake on an operators part and you get slipping. That is why some people can wear them out with no problems and others get slipping.

What I am afraid of is that when they do come up with a fix, it will be like the water ingestion fix.

We do need an e-brake.
I hope you're wrong... and I think you will be because they're already replacing clutches.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I hope you're wrong... and I think you will be because they're already replacing clutches.

I hope I am.

Replacing clutches under what circumstances? Burnt under warranty or as a preemptive technical service bulletin?

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know your preaching for a ebrake. And I agree, but just wondering if during a moment of brake failure, could a driver quickly slam it into Park. And hope the pin holds up

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know your preaching for a ebrake. And I agree, but just wondering if during a moment of brake failure, could a driver quickly slam it into Park. And hope the pin holds up

That sounds like a bad idea you'd have to go through neutral and reverse first.

E-Brake is needed. Someone was trying a driveline mounted e-brake... sounds brilliant.

Reactions: JTW and Jshell3
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Then you risk bending the shifting fork in the sub-transmission like mine did. Been there done that.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Then you risk bending the shifting fork in the sub-transmission like mine did. Been there done that.
Is the front and rear brakes not seperate from each other like a car or tuck? If you damage one line any where on the rig you losse all brakes? Not just half?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Is the front and rear brakes not seperate from each other like a car or tuck? If you damage one line any where on the rig you losse all brakes? Not just half?

Damage one line lose all reserve fluid, then all brakes.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Damage one line lose all reserve fluid, then all brakes.
That seems crazy that they didnt use a baffle in the resivoir of the master for that sort of situation. I dont own a honda car but i bet thats not the case on one of there on road vehicles.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
That seems crazy that they didnt use a baffle in the resivoir of the master for that sort of situation. I dont own a honda car but i bet thats not the case on one of there on road vehicles.

Off road vehicles do not have to meet DOT safety guidelines, so they don't build them that way.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Off road vehicles do not have to meet DOT safety guidelines, so they don't build them that way.
Kind of surprising Honda didn't considering all the stuff they are proud about taking from the car division.

Reactions: JTW and popeye
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!