P500 Considering a KFI 66" Plow

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
After reading a number of threads, considering retiring the snow blower. I have a few questions for the KFI owners.

- Do you see any issue if my winch is mounted high? It is on top of my strongmade bumper.

- How exposed is the bottom mount bracket? I'd prefer to leave it on vs remove in the spring.

- I assume the holes that need to be drilled are for the bottom bracket. Straight forward?

- Are shoes available for these blades? ie keep it an inch off the pavement and wear item.

- Please confirm the attach/detach is a relatively simple process. ie not like fighting a heavy 3pt implement.

Thx for any input.

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
I recently purchased and installed the same KFI though I have not used it yet..I can answer all but the first question though I also have the winch mounted high with a KFI mount. The mount can stay on (at least in my riding area). It is higher than the skid plate. The holes are easy and straightforward for the mounting bracket. The one I ordered came with feet (shoes). I know it's way easier than a bottom mount because the bracket is on the front of the machine. As far as the winch goes, it should not be an issue. Not sure if that helps but I hope so :)

Reactions: FuzzyGrub
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
My blade just came in today... it's waiting at the house for me when I get home.

I installed the mounting bracket and hooked up the push tubes just to see how it worked.

Having a high winch will not be an issue - the mount that KFI makes is high like your strongmade. The attachment point on the tubes (where the winch hook attaches) is adjustable so that you can change the angle of the cable. You have 4 different locations you can hook to in order to get the angle you want.

The bracket takes about 1/2 hour to install. You remove the two bottom bumper bolts. Loosely attach the bracket with those bolts. Mark the bumper through the holes in the mounting bracket. Remove bracket. Drill two holes through the front of the bumper where you marked (1/2" drill bit). Reinstall the bracket (4 bolts total). Tighten the bolts and you're done.

The blade comes with large shoes, and they are adjustable and replaceable.

The plow/push tube assembly installs to the bracket with two hitch pins. Haven't installed mine yet with the blade, but it appears to be very easy, since it's a front mount setup.

I intend to leave the bracket on at all times. There is no loss of ground clearance with it on there, and it's a very beefy piece of steel. It wont bend easily like the stock bumper.

I'll post a couple pics for you.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
7b71b2302c8a0a013f68b3ca1ea805f5
51f0157fe1c0fb64e6069640256bec35

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
B9c2cbef2f6b06ee94ce6231a244ad79

Blade installed! KFI makes very high quality stuff!

And 66" is perfect for the 500. Plowed some snow tonight. Love this setup.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Really happy with it and the install is easy. I experimented pushing some really deep heavy snow. It's been on the ground for a few days so it's icy and hard to push. The high lift is really nice for piling the snow high.

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
My blade just came in today... it's waiting at the house for me when I get home.

I installed the mounting bracket and hooked up the push tubes just to see how it worked.

Having a high winch will not be an issue - the mount that KFI makes is high like your strongmade. The attachment point on the tubes (where the winch hook attaches) is adjustable so that you can change the angle of the cable. You have 4 different locations you can hook to in order to get the angle you want.

The bracket takes about 1/2 hour to install. You remove the two bottom bumper bolts. Loosely attach the bracket with those bolts. Mark the bumper through the holes in the mounting bracket. Remove bracket. Drill two holes through the front of the bumper where you marked (1/2" drill bit). Reinstall the bracket (4 bolts total). Tighten the bolts and you're done.

The blade comes with large shoes, and they are adjustable and replaceable.

The plow/push tube assembly installs to the bracket with two hitch pins. Haven't installed mine yet with the blade, but it appears to be very easy, since it's a front mount setup.

I intend to leave the bracket on at all times. There is no loss of ground clearance with it on there, and it's a very beefy piece of steel. It wont bend easily like the stock bumper.

I'll post a couple pics for you.

I think having the winch up high is better for lifting and lowering the blade, better angles.
My KFI came with the skid shoes as well. I leave my mount on year round, doesn't effect ground clearance at all.
Keep blade on a piece of cardboard in garage when detached, makes it easier to slide around.

Reactions: Shadesmn
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Really happy with it and the install is easy. I experimented pushing some really deep heavy snow. It's been on the ground for a few days so it's icy and hard to push. The high lift is really nice for piling the snow high.

Looks bad ass ehart! I love the extra width of the 66". Wish I had the blade markers though, kinda hard to judge the position on passenger side.

Reactions: Shadesmn
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Looks bad ass ehart! I love the extra width of the 66". Wish I had the blade markers though, kinda hard to judge the position on passenger side.

Yes I agree! I will probably be looking for those soon. Would definitely be helpful. I plowed for about an hour tonight. I'm very pleased with this setup. It's everything I expected it to be. The rubber flap that's included is very nice to have.

advertisement
Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
@trigger, if you have an old or extra creeper laying around they make for even easier moving. Just pick up the push tubes and roll it around like a wheelbarrow. Though I must say it was easier to do with longer tubes on the a top setup than the shorter ones on the front mount. But either way, it makes short work of moving the blade. I do keep it on a piece of carpet while it's on the machine so I don't get a rusty line on the floor where it rests, but when it comes off just roll the creeper under and set the blade down. Works great.

Reactions: trigger
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thx for the input guys. Seems like the KFI will do what I want/need. It sounds like the longest part of the job will be wiring up the winch. If I don't get one for this season, I will for next. Thx.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Well, unfortunately, the snow blower is still working fine. :( It didn't get used last year :), and was thinking it might have some problems on start up. Plow is probably going to wait until next season. Thx for all the input, though.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!