P1000 Current Problems with your Pioneer 1000?

Current Problems with your Pioneer 1000?

• No issues.

Votes: 146 67.9%
  • Minor issues.

Votes: 38 17.7%
  • Major issues.

Votes: 31 14.4%

• Total voters
J

Jeffro

Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Problems: Power steering has gone out twice and it is less than 2 months old and has about 50 miles. Been to the dealer once already, and will be going back when I get a chance to take it. Very frustrated so far.
  1. Pioneer 1000-5
  2. June 2015
  3. 50 something
  4. Hard roof, Infinity stereo and 4 Infinity 612m's, LED light cubes on fenders
  5. Just around the neighborhood so far, and trails one time with a little mud
  6. Haven't had first oil change

adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
Hey @joeymt33, I've had the same starting issue a couple times in the past 3 weeks. Did you ever figure out what was causing it? On at least one occasion it happened to me after a fairly long drive uphill in sand. When I went to start it a little while later it acted almost as if it was flooded. I pushed down on the pedal and cranked it. It acted just like you described. Once started I feathered the pedal a little through the rough idle and then it was happy. I'm not sure what I was doing prior to the second time it happened. I got it started just like I did the first time.

Mine has done this twice in the last week or so. Seems like its flooded , have to push on pedal to start, feather pedal to get through rough idle, then its good to go.

Now that I think about it, it started after I snorkeled it. Was yours doing it before snorkeling?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

just snorkeled mine recently also

First post. Mine also will start rough from time to time. I actually believe it is temporarily flooded. Always starts but is a bit concerning? I only have this problem when I am running in High when going at slow speeds working. I have recently started running in low when I am going to be moving at slow speeds. I think the P1000 wants to be run hard when using high range? I honestly think my driving style while working might be contributing to the rough starting/flooding issue I am having? Lot of idle and slow speeds. Never failed me yet just a bit annoying./QUOTE]

This was my thoughts also

BIGRACK

BIGRACK

Jan 22, 2016
Dayton Tenn
I have noticed when you turn the key on you need to let it run through its cycle before turning key completely to start engine . The way to tell dash indicators fully lit . If you just jump in start real quick it has a hesitation and different motor sound. I think computer/electronics have to sync good so it takes a second for this to happen .This is what I have observed in my 1000 no issues 466 miles knock on wood .Rode in all types of terrain. Very satisfied so far. I have a lot of mods lift,racks ,skids,light pods front and rear,rock sliders,winch to name a few

Reactions: joeymt33
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have noticed when you turn the key on you need to let it run through its cycle before turning key completely to start engine . The way to tell dash indicators fully lit . If you just jump in start real quick it has a hesitation and different motor sound. I think computer/electronics have to sync good so it takes a second for this to happen .This is what I have observed in my 1000 no issues 466 miles knock on wood .Rode in all types of terrain. Very satisfied so far. I have a lot of mods lift,racks ,skids,light pods front and rear,rock sliders,winch to name a few
I do that but have still had a few rough starts. It only concerned me the first couple times it did it. Now, after putting it through some pretty demanding challenges I'm not worried about it. This machine rocks!

Reactions: adnoh and BIGRACK
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My buddy who also has a P1K says our units have electric fuel pumps and to turn the key on for 10 seconds before turning it to the start position. This seems to eliminate the sluggish starting on mine. I also think the stock battery is too small/weak to really crank these 1000 cc engines over with any kind of authority.

Last edited:
Reactions: AKRider and BIGRACK
adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
I do that but have still had a few rough starts. It only concerned me the first couple times it did it. Now, after putting it through some pretty demanding challenges I'm not worried about it. This machine rocks!

How often does yours do this? What concerns me is mine never did this for 1800 miles (almost a year) and now its done it twice in the last week . It seems like its flooded or the plugs are getting wet fouled. Maybe valves need adjusting or got some bad fuel ? Nothing to do with starting to soon or not leaving key on long enough before starting. Once every so often wouldnt worry me, but twice in a week out of the blue ? I will be keeping a close eye on it to see if it gets worse.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How often does yours do this? What concerns me is mine never did this for 1800 miles (almost a year) and now its done it twice in the last week . It seems like its flooded or the plugs are getting wet fouled. Maybe valves need adjusting or got some bad fuel ? Nothing to do with starting to soon or not leaving key on long enough before starting. Once every so often wouldnt worry me, but twice in a week out of the blue ? I will be keeping a close eye on it to see if it gets worse.
Like others, I have found that it mainly does it when I make short runs, like when using it around the house to doing yardwork. When I'm running it hard or doing long rides I haven't had it happen.

Reactions: adnoh
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You may be onto something with valve adjustment though. Maybe something to check into.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Well just experienced the rough start! Multiple attempts turning the key didn't sound like it was getting gas or firing. But then it started, idled rough & died. Turned it over again and it seemed to come out of it but had a little white coming from the exhaust. Ran her hard down the road and let her idle it didn't sound as smooth.

First thought was bad gas! Then spark arrester, but cleaned it and no change. Oh I have 1100+ miles.

My question is who has figured the cause of this?

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you had the valves adjusted yet?

advertisement
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Hey @joeymt33, I've had the same starting issue a couple times in the past 3 weeks. Did you ever figure out what was causing it? On at least one occasion it happened to me after a fairly long drive uphill in sand. When I went to start it a little while later it acted almost as if it was flooded. I pushed down on the pedal and cranked it. It acted just like you described. Once started I feathered the pedal a little through the rough idle and then it was happy. I'm not sure what I was doing prior to the second time it happened. I got it started just like I did the first time.
Have you had the valves adjusted yet?

No i have not. That's what I was thinking! But why all of a sudden?

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good question. I'm wondering if some of us needed it at the first maintenance cycle, while others got engines that were dialed in better from the factory.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I guess it doesn't hurt to check! Has anyone posted valve adj procedure for the 1000? If so can someone point me in the right direction

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess it doesn't hurt to check! Has anyone posted valve adj procedure for the 1000? If so can someone point me in the right direction
That's beyond my comfort level to do myself. I'll see what I can find in the shop manual for you.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lets see if this worked. Here's what I found...

Is this what you're looking for @Eltobgi?

Attachments

• P1K Valve Adj.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 623
Last edited:
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Lets see if this worked. Here's what I found...

Is this what you're looking for @Eltobgi?
Thanks! I'm not 100% on if this is the procedure. At first glance it looks like it. I will review tomorrow and if it is I will give her a go! Thanks @AKRider:)

Reactions: AKRider
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Can you provide torque specs for rear & cylinder head cover? I appreciate all your effort. Thanks again!

V

Viking

Aug 21, 2016
Dewey, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
  1. 1000-5 Deluxe White
  2. 8-20-16
  3. 50 +/-
  4. Only installed OEM Split windshield, but have a $3700 pile in the garage to install....
  5. Mountains, rough, rocky
  6. Honda Oil
Problems: Have only driven the unit twice. Once on smooth dirt & paved roads and two in the mountains. First run was good, however this Saturday we drove the unit for about 5 hours in 90 degree weather and all four riders were extremely HOT!!! The unit runs very hot with no apparent way to air cool the engine compartment. We had to stop several times to allow it to cool and we removed the seat and found it extremely hot as well. At the end of the day, we found a large mud puddle and proceeded to drive through it a few times, splashing the unit fairly well. After riding through the puddle the unit began to stall, loose power, and would not stay running. Took it back to the dealer and they claim the unit has ingested water and the oil is contaminated. I am very disappointed if this is the design of the Honda. Its not like we drove through a lake and submerged it, it was and 8" deep puddle that we splashed through a few times.

Any help or guidance on these two issues would be much appreciated.......very frustrating weekend!!!!!

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you do a search on air intakes or snorkeling, you will see that most everybody snorkels theirs for this exact reason. The intake is designed in such a way that hitting a puddle even at high speed is enough to cause these things to swallow a ton of water. Here is mine for example, their are a hundred ways to do it though

IMG 20160824 110856466 HDR

Reactions: jamday and AKRider
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!