P1000 Current Problems with your Pioneer 1000?

Current Problems with your Pioneer 1000?

• No issues.

Votes: 146 67.9%
  • Minor issues.

Votes: 38 17.7%
  • Major issues.

Votes: 31 14.4%

• Total voters
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
  1. 1000-5 Deluxe White
  2. 8-20-16
  3. 50 +/-
  4. Only installed OEM Split windshield, but have a $3700 pile in the garage to install....
  5. Mountains, rough, rocky
  6. Honda Oil
Problems: Have only driven the unit twice. Once on smooth dirt & paved roads and two in the mountains. First run was good, however this Saturday we drove the unit for about 5 hours in 90 degree weather and all four riders were extremely HOT!!! The unit runs very hot with no apparent way to air cool the engine compartment. We had to stop several times to allow it to cool and we removed the seat and found it extremely hot as well. At the end of the day, we found a large mud puddle and proceeded to drive through it a few times, splashing the unit fairly well. After riding through the puddle the unit began to stall, loose power, and would not stay running. Took it back to the dealer and they claim the unit has ingested water and the oil is contaminated. I am very disappointed if this is the design of the Honda. Its not like we drove through a lake and submerged it, it was and 8" deep puddle that we splashed through a few times.

Any help or guidance on these two issues would be much appreciated.......very frustrating weekend!!!!!

With the air intake directly below the hood line, any water splashing up into that area can be ingested by the engine. Also, the breather for the sub transmission terminates under the seat. The entire machine requires snorkeling. It's not that expensive and not time consuming. I'm disappointed that Honda didn't think this through, but I also love this machine. I'm just glad I did my homework here before doing something I would regret. I guess there's a reason the manual tells us not to go into water that's more than 10 inches deep. Snorkel, snorkel, snorkel.

I hope your machine doesn't have serious problems and that your dealer and Honda cut you some slack.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Is this what you needed?
I believe so. Thank you! Haven't had an opportunity to get to the project yet of checking valves. But I did ride over the weekend and filled with 91 octane and added about 8 oz of sea foam and I could see a definite improvement in performance. To go even further, it was the first time I hit 66 in a while. If not for the rev limiter I'm sure I could have kept going.
Not sure what happened but it the problem happens again I will adjust the valves in an attempt to resolve the issue. :)

Reactions: Jakey
S

SquatchonHonda

Aug 25, 2016
Tampa, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you heard of anyone else having this happen? What really bothers me is the damn thing has only done it when I'm really far away from home. The pucker factor increases exponentially... lol

Mine has done this twice as well. I also noticed water in the sub transmission oil. I have narrowed this down to the vent hoses for the sub transmission and fuel tank both being located in the frame under the seat. I suctioned out all the fueland removed a good deal of water. After the removal was completed I hosed the SXS off and waited for a half hour or so and then I was able to suction off more water. So if you park your SXS out in the rain with no roof you may have water getting into your fuel and sub transmission fluid.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine has done this twice as well. I also noticed water in the sub transmission oil. I have narrowed this down to the vent hoses for the sub transmission and fuel tank both being located in the frame under the seat. I suctioned out all the fueland removed a good deal of water. After the removal was completed I hosed the SXS off and waited for a half hour or so and then I was able to suction off more water. So if you park your SXS out in the rain with no roof you may have water getting into your fuel and sub transmission fluid.
I have mine completely snorkeled. All the vents run up under the roof. I'm still wondering if it isn't a valve adjustment issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Reactions: GumpAir
Lantz

Lantz

Oct 5, 2015
AKRider or anyone else that has a shop manual could you look to see if there is information on how to bleed the coolant system?

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
AKRider or anyone else that has a shop manual could you look to see if there is information on how to bleed the coolant system?
It'll be a while for me... about an hour until I get home. If it isnt answered by then I'll look for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Check your PM's.

Reactions: Lantz
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
problems. none
1. Pioneer 1000-5 deluxe red / Camo wrap from mossy oak graphics
2. October 13Th 2015 purchased 1st one in Utah.
3. miles 465.
4. Accessories, hard roof , glass windshield for winter months, 1/4 windscreen for summer months, 8 ply GBC Grimm reaper tires stock size.
soft mid panel, soft rear panel.
5. Mojave desert in winter months, mountain elk country in summer months. forest roads, atv trails, anything that gets me to the next fishing hole.
6. Honda oil gn4 10w40 for engine and sub trans. lucas 75w140 front and rear diff.
7. greatest machine on the planet. zero issues.
No heat issues in the summer?

Michigander

Michigander

Nov 13, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Issues: Is overly tippy (more so than a golf cart). I've tried everything, and think it might be the junk tires.
Doors sound like they are going to fall off while it sits at idle.
Rear Drivers side seat belt does not latch... (since day one)
When operating the winch (Warn Honda Genuine Parts) it puts the transmission into neutral!!! (Pretty cool for 20K dollars right)
Not overly impressed, and looking into getting rid of this thing. I've been a Honda guy for years, but unlike others, I won't turn a blind eye to problems simply because its a Honda.
Thing will plow a lot of snow, so long as you don't ever fricken dare to touch the winch control while in motion, or it just smashes into neutral. Honestly, how the hell do they ever expect you to be able to use the winch on this thing? Only while in neutral?

Got mine: Nov. 2016
Miles: 52
Model: 1000-5 deluxe white
Oil: Honda
Terrain: Woods, fields, roads, trails, snow
Accessories: Hard top, Hard coat poly windshield, Honda Warn winch, Honda Warn 72" snow plow

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
SORRY FOR SUCH A DELAY IN RESPONSE. IN SUMMER I RUN THE HALF WINDSHIELD AND THE MID SOFT PANEL. IT FORCES THE AIR DOWN THE BACK SEAT AND OUT THE BOTTOM AND THE HEAT GOES WITH IT ON A NORMAL RIDE. NO PROBLEMS FOR ME
Really, I wonder if I could use a half mid panel in the summer so I could see out the back with the mirror.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Issues: Is overly tippy (more so than a golf cart). I've tried everything, and think it might be the junk tires.
Doors sound like they are going to fall off while it sits at idle.
Rear Drivers side seat belt does not latch... (since day one)
When operating the winch (Warn Honda Genuine Parts) it puts the transmission into neutral!!! (Pretty cool for 20K dollars right)
Not overly impressed, and looking into getting rid of this thing. I've been a Honda guy for years, but unlike others, I won't turn a blind eye to problems simply because its a Honda.
Thing will plow a lot of snow, so long as you don't ever fricken dare to touch the winch control while in motion, or it just smashes into neutral. Honestly, how the hell do they ever expect you to be able to use the winch on this thing? Only while in neutral?

Got mine: Nov. 2016
Miles: 52
Model: 1000-5 deluxe white
Oil: Honda
Terrain: Woods, fields, roads, trails, snow
Accessories: Hard top, Hard coat poly windshield, Honda Warn winch, Honda Warn 72" snow plow
The winch problem may be part of the loose ground bolt issues guys are having. Tightening them fixed them for most guys. The doors also have some adjustable rubber stops you can turn to tighten them up.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The winch problem may be part of the loose ground bolt issues guys are having. Tightening them fixed them for most guys. The doors also have some adjustable rubber stops you can turn to tighten them up.
Where are these ground bolts you refer to?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Where are these ground bolts you refer to?

Try this....

A9acb5326ee4c569ed70142884896c99

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks Joey, is this something that is being suggested to check and possibly tighten oUpon delivery of new units?

Yes it is. I tightened those grounds upon delivery. I also found a seat belt bolt barely hanging on. I was missing two brake line bolts that hold the line to be A-arm. I tightened all the ROPS bolts. I can't remember what else.

Oh yeah, I also out dielectric grease on all the connectors I could find.

I tightened the loose clamps on the intake tube. You must check that.

Maybe that's the high points.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes it is. I tightens those grounds upon delivery. I also found a seat belt bolt barely hanging on. I was missing two brake line bolts that hold the line to be A-arm. I tightened all the ROPS bolts. I can't remember what else.

Oh yeah, I also out dielectric grease on all the connectors I could find.

I tightened the loose clamps on the intake tube. You must check that.

Maybe that's the high points.
Holy cow, that's unthinkable, it never occurred to me to do anything like that to the P5 and I've had no issues with it. Did Honda just get sloppy on the P1K?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Holy cow, that's unthinkable, it never occurred to me to do anything like that to the P5 and I've had no issues with it. Did Honda just get sloppy on the P1K?

It's just the way I am. I do that with any vehicle car or ATV. After a full inspection you'll be surprised at what you'll find.

You'll find problems with alignment or things not centered exact like they should be.

I don't think my local Ford dealership is ever going to allow me to bring a vehicle in there again. First of all, I never take my vehicle anywhere to get repaired unless the repairs for free like for example it's a warranty job. I had a warranty repair performed on my truck it when I got home I thoroughly inspected and found enough problems that the technician lost his job and the dealership was very sorry for what they had done.

I took my wife's vehicle to a shop a couple years ago to have a new transmission installed and I inspected it I made them take it back out and try again the correct way. And they did it without charging an extra penny and apologize for screwing it up the first time.

When I had a company owned vehicle, we had to use fleet services to keep the vehicle maintained. I would constantly rip them a new one because they didn't change the oil filter thinking I wouldn't notice or put too much oil or not enough oil in the vehicle. One time I inspected the vehicle after a break job and found out that the brake pads were installed backwards!

So Monte, I agree that you shouldn't have to do things like that. But it's what I've always done and it doesn't matter if it's ford Chevy Honda Polaris or anything else you always find mistakes. I'm just amazed at all the hardships I would've had in life because of vehicle failures if I had not performed my inspections.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I did not perform my inspection on the pioneer 700 until a few rides. I had had lost several ROPS bolts before I new it.

One time I rode with @scott, I believe he lost several ROPS bolts too and we duct tapped it to keep it together.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!