P1000 Current Problems with your Pioneer 1000?

Current Problems with your Pioneer 1000?

• No issues.

Votes: 146 67.9%
  • Minor issues.

Votes: 38 17.7%
  • Major issues.

Votes: 31 14.4%

• Total voters
R

Raymond2525

Feb 20, 2017
La
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hum, that's really weird, what' s your fuel consumption, you think you have a brake issue. I can ride all day long and burn 1/2 tank of gas, rock crawling/slow trails
how did we get to gas mileage and or brake problem ... hum must be flat roads or rock roads you drive on . I drive on about 40 acers against a river.it sandy and muddy with hills and marsh areas . and this is real . so I not looking for gas mileage or a brake job. and what is weird
that my axle are pulling apart on the passenger side but they are just fine on the drivers .and I just paid $510 for turner eagle for passenger
rear and it been working fine. ( turner axles the only after market axle I could find ) so is this forum looking for the truth about our Hondas
1000 or is this forum trying to sell Hondas and misleading those trying to sort out there problems or make a buying decision.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
how did we get to gas mileage and or brake problem ... hum must be flat roads or rock roads you drive on . I drive on about 40 acers against a river.it sandy and muddy with hills and marsh areas . and this is real . so I not looking for gas mileage or a brake job. and what is weird
that my axle are pulling apart on the passenger side but they are just fine on the drivers .and I just paid $510 for turner eagle for passenger
rear and it been working fine. ( turner axles the only after market axle I could find ) so is this forum looking for the truth about our Hondas
1000 or is this forum trying to sell Hondas and misleading those trying to sort out there problems or make a buying decision.

Bummer that you have been having problems with your SXS.
There are only a very few issues that most of the people on this forum have had with their SXS here so when anyone asks a question, it is because they are honestly trying to help decipher what could be the issue. This is definitely a "fan-boy" forum but still a forum that has a lot of experienced members that are glad to help someone through any issue. So sorry if it seems as though no-one took your issue seriously but I think that if you want to get info, this is the best place out there.
Good luck with your ride.

R

Raymond2525

Feb 20, 2017
La
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bummer that you have been having problems with your SXS.
There are only a very few issues that most of the people on this forum have had with their SXS here so when anyone asks a question, it is because they are honestly trying to help decipher what could be the issue. This is definitely a "fan-boy" forum but still a forum that has a lot of experienced members that are glad to help someone through any issue. So sorry if it seems as though no-one took your issue seriously but I think that if you want to get info, this is the best place out there.
Good luck with your ride.
thanks for your post , it just seems like I going to have to invest in portals , or a gear reduction . either way more $. I have friends and family
they have all these other 1000 sxs and they just petal to the metal , the don't have these problems . they run 32 and bigger tires ...

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You should read the first post I did here. And you will know

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
4 weeks in to ownership, was ready to take it back for a $ 20,000.00 refund, was really pissed. since then I have learned, no matter what the sales man did or told you what to do, is warm up transmission, NEVER put it in a heavy load in reverse. Get skids and hammer it. All is well now!

D

Destinbeachman

Jul 11, 2016
Northwest Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have owned mine about 9 months now. Have had zero problems. As far as mods I've fabricated a winch plate to avoid paying for one, made a snorkle for it, and welded some tabs onto the rear, upper cage for a backup light I installed there. It runs fine. I regularly wheel it at Bogs and Boulders in Alabama and a bit around my home. I can report that the shift solenoids don't clunk as loudly after my break in oil change. All is good.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Have owned mine about 9 months now. Have had zero problems. As far as mods I've fabricated a winch plate to avoid paying for one, made a snorkle for it, and welded some tabs onto the rear, upper cage for a backup light I installed there. It runs fine. I regularly wheel it at Bogs and Boulders in Alabama and a bit around my home. I can report that the shift solenoids don't clunk as loudly after my break in oil change. All is good.
Great! Only issues I have are heat and shocks.

Reactions: Plumber32
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just putting miles and hours on mine. Think I need a windshield wiper.

Poppaj

Poppaj

Apr 29, 2017
SE Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had mine a few months, 200 miles, haven't had a lot of time to put on it like I would like, waiting for it to cool off.
A couple of issues: heat!!! installed barrier under seat, have 8" fan ordered, deflector shield ordered.
Reverse is way too high! Why not put reverse in transmission instead of transfer case? at least you would have a hi and lo reverse.
Transmission is way too high geared, even in low range. Most of my time is very slow, rough mountain trails. I read of some of the guys rock crawling, but wonder how. Wonder if anyone is working on lower gears? But on fast trails and mountain roads, everything is perfect!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Had mine a few months, 200 miles, haven't had a lot of time to put on it like I would like, waiting for it to cool off.
A couple of issues: heat!!! installed barrier under seat, have 8" fan ordered, deflector shield ordered.
Reverse is way too high! Why not put reverse in transmission instead of transfer case? at least you would have a hi and lo reverse.
Transmission is way too high geared, even in low range. Most of my time is very slow, rough mountain trails. I read of some of the guys rock crawling, but wonder how. Wonder if anyone is working on lower gears? But on fast trails and mountain roads, everything is perfect!
There's a gear reduction available for it, get with @Kilo427

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Need beter shocks, you can go from rock crawling to rock flying. HA!

Reactions: elkguide
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Totally agree with your take on it. We do quite a bit of rock. It's not easy. If you even try to slowly slip over rocks I think it'll ruin your clutch. It took me alot of practice but gotten decent at throttle control. The snappy throttle response doesn't help at all. I've got several vids of members navigating rocks on YouTube. Under my name Delton Mims. Most will have Bull Run in title.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Totally agree with your take on it. We do quite a bit of rock. It's not easy. If you even try to slowly slip over rocks I think it'll ruin your clutch. It took me alot of practice but gotten decent at throttle control. The snappy throttle response doesn't help at all. I've got several vids of members navigating rocks on YouTube. Under my name Delton Mims. Most will have Bull Run in title.
Im going to to put a heel ledge in front of the gas petal.

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im going to to put a heel ledge in front of the gas petal.
I made a few of the hinged devices for the throttle and gave away. Dude from Throgglemaxx threatened to sue me so I quit. It wasn't my style but it did smooth it out some.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It's just the way I am. I do that with any vehicle car or ATV. After a full inspection you'll be surprised at what you'll find.

You'll find problems with alignment or things not centered exact like they should be.

I don't think my local Ford dealership is ever going to allow me to bring a vehicle in there again. First of all, I never take my vehicle anywhere to get repaired unless the repairs for free like for example it's a warranty job. I had a warranty repair performed on my truck it when I got home I thoroughly inspected and found enough problems that the technician lost his job and the dealership was very sorry for what they had done.

I took my wife's vehicle to a shop a couple years ago to have a new transmission installed and I inspected it I made them take it back out and try again the correct way. And they did it without charging an extra penny and apologize for screwing it up the first time.

When I had a company owned vehicle, we had to use fleet services to keep the vehicle maintained. I would constantly rip them a new one because they didn't change the oil filter thinking I wouldn't notice or put too much oil or not enough oil in the vehicle. One time I inspected the vehicle after a break job and found out that the brake pads were installed backwards!

So Monte, I agree that you shouldn't have to do things like that. But it's what I've always done and it doesn't matter if it's ford Chevy Honda Polaris or anything else you always find mistakes. I'm just amazed at all the hardships I would've had in life because of vehicle failures if I had not performed my inspections.
I do the same thing. After my Chevy dealership screwed up TWICE trying to fully snap on spark plug wires on my wife's minivan (they were tough to get to, but not impossible), I lost my temper and did it myself when she got home from work and complained of misfiring. Still have the burn scar from the exhaust manifold to prove it. Then six months later, misfiring again revealed that the "automotive technician" didn't feel that the plug wire holders to keep wires off exhaust manifolds were necessary. My brand new plug wires were laying on the manifolds burnt to the copper! This was a Chevy dealership at $80.00 per hour shop time. And this is why I don't trust dealership service departments. I know there is a real tech at each dealer so I'm not talking about those guys. It's all the guys with no experience that they hire to "button 'er up" that screw everything up (or don't screw anything properly) that killed it for me. Anything outside of a full engine rebuild, I'll fix it myself thank you very much.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!