P1000 Do I need a frame stiffener?

Alaska350

Alaska350

Feb 17, 2021
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Any pics of that front skid piece? I'm not familiar with any of the aluminum aftermarket skids out there. I'd need to take a look. If not, it could easily be modified, but you may have to chop of some of the aluminum skid. We won't know for sure till we see it.

Here's a link to the frame stiffener instructions so you can get a better look at the installation, and the area covered.
Yeah I checked them out already but as you can see I would have it cut off a 1/3 of the front interlocking section that also happens to have 2 through bolts…..not the interlocking ones. From what I can tell there is about 1/4” between the the skid plate and the frame so one wouldn’t fit in between. I would have no problem cutting it if I wasn’t worried about removing the front section may cause the other pieces to not lock in place as intended.

E22B332A 5C26 41BE 9543 63A94C6E09F6

AEE75DA8 E15E 4E99 A54B 00C22E63D316

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperATV and Lady01
SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Yeah I checked them out already but as you can see I would have it cut off a 1/3 of the front interlocking section that also happens to have 2 through bolts…..not the interlocking ones. From what I can tell there is about 1/4” between the the skid plate and the frame so one wouldn’t fit in between. I would have no problem cutting it if I wasn’t worried about removing the front section may cause the other pieces to not lock in place as intended.

View attachment 322408
View attachment 322409
Yep...you'd need to do a little cutting.

And it really looks like that bubble wrap is just floating in mid-air. 🤣

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah living in Alaska there are a few trails that have lots of rocks that destroy the plastic skid plates so I feel these are needed in such a expensive ride.
I will take my cutting board skid plates any day over Aluminum. I had Aluminum on my Teryx and they got so bent up I finally hard to replace them with the HDPE skid. Best thing I ever did. Finally could slide over rocks instead of getting hung up on them.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Milk jugs are made of HDPE - no kidding! Some may make skids out of HDPE, but that's because it is much cheaper than the mechanically strongest plastic, UHMW-PE (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene) - often referred to as UHMW. Besides being super mechanically strong, UHMW is almost as slippery as Teflon (which is not nearly as strong). UHMW is used in industry for wear and rubbing blocks as well as liners to protect against abrasion etc.

I have the stock aluminum skids from Honda, as that's what came on the SE.

someguy1313

someguy1313

Mar 5, 2021
SouthEast
Ownership

1. 1000-5
reading a learning a lot here.
2020 machine, previous owner installed a Factory UTV skid plate full kit w/ A Arm shields.
while not what i would have purchased, nice enough and seems well built.

Just installed upper forward A Arm gussets (the bolt on ones made by a forum member here - there are very nice)

Am planning to order a bunch of SATV stuff, Gusset kit, Frame Stiffener, forward A Arms etc...
my last machine tore the upper a arm tabs off the frame and snapped the tabs off the lower a arms with a minor impact to a tree stump. Hoping to avoid that every happening again... (open to any and all suggestions to keep this from happening besides "don't hit a stump :)"

my question:
Does anyone run the FACTORY UTV skid plate with the SATV Frame Stiffener and if so, do they play well together.

perhaps @SuperATV may have insight as well?

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the question the OP is asking should be, should I have bought a YAMAHA?
Rubber band drive? Rubber bands are great for slingshots, but are nothing but problems in a transmission. They are such a pita that some owners actually participate on hondasxs so they can rub elbows with people that have a clue and a Pioneer.

advertisement
someguy1313

someguy1313

Mar 5, 2021
SouthEast
Ownership

1. 1000-5
back on topic:

Does anyone run the FACTORY UTV skid plate with the SATV Frame Stiffener and if so, do they play well together.

Reactions: TxDoc and Smitty335
SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
back on topic:

I'm not super familiar with their kit. With our skid, the front piece is separate and is removed during installation of the frame stiffener. If theirs isn't removable...a sawzall or cutting wheel will make quick work of that. Super easy. You'd just cut it off where the frame stiffener would mount up.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'm not super familiar with their kit. With our skid, the front piece is separate and is removed during installation of the frame stiffener. If theirs isn't removable...a sawzall or cutting wheel will make quick work of that. Super easy. You'd just cut it off where the frame stiffener would mount up.
I used the SATV frame stiffener with the SATV skids, it works fine, no cutting necessary, just had to drill & tap a few holes in the stiffener to hold the skid

someguy1313

someguy1313

Mar 5, 2021
SouthEast
Ownership

1. 1000-5
TxDoc sent me a link to this. excellent and exactly what i was wanting to look at.

curious if Dirt'N'Diesel is on this forum?

@TxDoc

You rock.

Reactions: TxDoc and JenElio
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!