Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Greetings all. After some trials with fitting used ebay and chinese shocks to my rig, I bit the bullet on some aftermarket units. I found what appears to be a decent price w/ free shipping on some Elka stage 1 fronts over at racingpowersports.com - $475. I want to give these a shake down because there doesnt seem to be much in the way of reviews on them, at least installed on the P5 from what I could find. I dont ride hard, 99% of the time. Mine is a trail rig, I dont work it hard either. Just want it softer.

In one of my other posts, I wrote about the Polaris shocks I have on it now, and the ride is perfect other than the CVs bottoming at full-sag. Just a matter of time before a cup gives out on me. I think they would work fine if I relocated or added a shock mount lower on the top A-arm, but I KNOW I will be trading it in on a Talon or YXZ in a year or 3. Just have to pay off my wife's rig first... priorities.

So, bolt-ons are the way to go. Ill just sell 'em here later on if they hold up ok.

Just clicked 'Purchase Now'. More to come!

Upload 2019 11 15 11 23 50

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Greetings all. After some trials with fitting used ebay and chinese shocks to my rig, I bit the bullet on some aftermarket units. I found what appears to be a decent price w/ free shipping on some Elka stage 1 fronts over at racingpowersports.com - $475. I want to give these a shake down because there doesnt seem to be much in the way of reviews on them, at least installed on the P5 from what I could find. I dont ride hard, 99% of the time. Mine is a trail rig, I dont work it hard either. Just want it softer.

In one of my other posts, I wrote about the Polaris shocks I have on it now, and the ride is perfect other than the CVs bottoming at full-sag. Just a matter of time before a cup gives out on me. I think they would work fine if I relocated or added a shock mount lower on the top A-arm, but I KNOW I will be trading it in on a Talon or YXZ in a year or 3. Just have to pay off my wife's rig first... priorities.

So, bolt-ons are the way to go. Ill just sell 'em here later on if they hold up ok.

View attachment 165950
Curious if you tried a limit strap on the Polaris shocks? I was just thinking that would probably be cheaper on a machine you don't intend to keep being that you were otherwise happy with the ride they were providing. Hopefully your Elka's are even better for you though. I will be interested to hear your opinion once you try them out.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Will be interested in how you make out with the Elkas, I’ve the Stage 3s, they’ve been awesome, never have adjusted them. Easily 1 gear quicker add radial tires 2 gears quicker, so much fun to ride now, I mean it was fun before. Now its like a controlled pillowy glide.

B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 165950

I am anxious for this one too. Many times I have been ready to pull the trigger on stage 1 for my P5. Nobody seems to know anything about them. I have no desire to dial in my suspension all the time. Just set it up once and go. Please let us know how this works. Definitely cheaper than the Walker evans shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
I thought of ya this weekend JCart. We got a big layer of ice with a little snow on top and single digits. I can easily pound it one to two gears higher! Small bumps gone. Hope it lasts a while. Elka 1's are similar to the Progressive shocks I ran on my Rhino and probably better and they were a huge upgrade over the stockers. Can't wait for a review.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and JCart
nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
I am anxious for this one too. Many times I have been ready to pull the trigger on stage 1 for my P5. Nobody seems to know anything about them. I have no desire to dial in my suspension all the time. Just set it up once and go. Please let us know how this works. Definitely cheaper than the Walker evans shocks.

The WE shocks work well for my trail riding set 2 clicks in.I don't mess with them.I got mine last month after talking with Chris at Walker Evans Racing.I mentioned this site and Jason Dimmick's YouTube channel and got my front and rears for $998+shipping.Looking forward to hearing how the Elka 1's work.Hope this becomes another option for us.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
The WE shocks work well for my trail riding set 2 clicks in.I don't mess with them.I got mine last month after talking with Chris at Walker Evans Racing.I mentioned this site and Jason Dimmick's YouTube channel and got my front and rears for $998+shipping.Looking forward to hearing how the Elka 1's work.Hope this becomes another option for us.
$998 is not a bad price. I thought they were around the $1,200-$1,300 range.

Reactions: mrjeff42
nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
$998 is not a bad price. I thought they were around the $1,200-$1,300 range.
Chris gave me 50 bucks off of each shock,had them here in a week.I called and asked if they had any discount codes or such,and he asked if I was a member of this forum.I said yep,and I subscribe to Jason Dimmick's youtube deal.He said "great,that just got you a $50 per shock discount.You want to order now?"I almost ordered on the website,glad I called.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah... These things are SICK! I'll post a video tomorrow.
View attachment 167938

Whoooa looking good dpnorth! Someone on here (and oh course, I don’t recall who) noted to remove the lock ring set screws and apply some quality anti-seize paste on the set screw threads. As I recall they hadn’t and had a bugger of a time getting set screws undone over time. Anti-seize is always good in my books, like budder, I put it in everything!
Cheers and smooth trails!
j

B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500
What’s the verdict. How do they ride?

dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Im ordering the rears next week, if that tells you anything;). I went riding with a few of my buddies I met here on the forum, and they all commented how much softer the machine seemed. All of them have P1K's, but my one bud is real familiar with the P5--has a lot of miles on one himself. Pushed down on my winch 2-3 times and said "dang man! those are softer." I do have to back off the pre-load a little bit. I cranked a little more in b4 we road to see how it acted @ 11" of front clearance. Notice that front-right stubby-side CV bottoming a couple times. I would advise someone who rides hard to go with Stage 4 or so--rebound adjustment clicker would be nice. For those that ride recreationally, no jumps, 3 gear-ish most of the time--stage 1 is a great investment. Hopefully these keep me happy for a year or so. The wife likes the Talon X just as much as I do after sitting in it :rolleyes:.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!