P500 Elka stage 1

Y

Yomama101

Feb 6, 2022
Mesa AZ
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 520
Appreciate the report! Do you notice a significant difference at low speeds, or more so going faster?

. . . and would it be sacrilege to paint the red trim rings on the ends? . . . ;)
Only for the Purists. LOL. It was an improvement across the board. The slow speed small water bars you literally almost couldn't feel. Small rocks that used to jolt you around are now a non issue. Damping seemed well suited for the Honda. The increase in articulation is what impressed me. The right front wheel would drop into a hole and the left front wheel would compress and the body of the vehicle felt more "Planted". A lot of that Tippiness (SP) is gone.Higher speed helped a bunch also. Some of the rock gardens you still picked you're way thru but at a faster pace. I had my buddy Brian drive half the trip so he could get some seat time and I could observe the action of the wheel/tires in the varied terrain. Now I'm running 8 ply radials so I'm sure that helps a lot. As a side not, I did bottom them out several times coming into some washes in the road. Easily a 12 to 18 inch drop off at speed. The rears seemed perfect, fronts a little soft. I might add a little preload to the front because I noticed dropping off some of the boulders I would hit the skid-plate due to the front shocks compressing more. No damage but Brian was giving me some funny looks. ;) Smiles all round for sure. Worth it? You bet.

Last edited:
Y

Yomama101

Feb 6, 2022
Mesa AZ
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 520
Hello All,

Just ordered a set of stage 1 directly from Elka, advised 2 to 3 week lead time, looking forward to the upgrade to compliment the power steering and take the roughness out of the ride

Railrunner
You'll like them for sure. I added a little more preload to the fronts. We'll see how well that will work on the drop-offs/G-outs.

GAug440

GAug440

Apr 18, 2020
Wi
Ownership

1. 500
Had my first trail ride with the Elka S1’s…did a 70 mile loop that in the past would leave us pretty shaken up. I probably drove over 10 mph faster on average and the comfort level was dramatically improved. Damn near felt like a different machine. Even my wife was impressed. Very happy with the S1’s!

Tanakalaga

Tanakalaga

Mar 19, 2021
Québec
Ownership

1. 500
I ordered the Elka stage 1 today, I should receive them next week. Can't wait to install them. The cost is pretty hight here in Canada, got them from Revco because was in stock. It's plenty of mountain and rock in my region, will benefit greatly. Afther the 27 inch radial tire install, sway bar removal and use of a gel pillow, thos shocks will be the Holy Graal ! :)

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I can finally report back on my Elka stage one shocks that I had sitting in my garage for three months.

first thing, they are crazy expensive. And I’m still puzzled why we can’t have any shocks for these little machines that are in the hundred to $150 each range. But I can tell you the build quality looks amazing and I suspect that they will hold up for a long time, and of course rebuildable at some point in time.

After bouncing around on Rocky trails in Wyoming for a week, I can tell you the ride is significantly better. Yes, I have 27 inch radial tires on the P520, so some of the credit has to go to those big tires with low air pressure. They allowed my wife and I to travel over pretty bumpy stuff at a decent pace. I would say even through the roughest stuff I was going 5 miles an hour faster than I would a year ago. A year ago where I was going 5 miles an hour going from Boulder to Boulder, this year I could go around 9 to 10 miles an hour and felt pretty comfortable.

of course it’s not all about speed, overwash boards and rutted areas the pioneer felt more controlled and planted. I did bottom them out a couple times on some larger boulders hit too fast, but that should be easy for me to fix with a little pre-load adjustment.

in fact this afternoon after cleaning up my pioneer, I started to adjust preload on the passenger side as I’ve always felt like it has listed a little bit to the passenger side. And looking at things closer, I can tell that the front end is sitting a little bit lower than the rear end of the machine. Of course I didn’t take measurements before and after all of the items I added, so I can’t remember if there was a significant difference in clearance between the front of the machine and the rear of the machine. If anyone can tell me if the frame rails are supposed to sit relatively even, I can go out and start making adjustments. To my eye, it looks like the rear of the machine is sitting roughly an inch and a half higher than the front of the machine and the frame rails are not perpendicular to the ground front to rear. If that makes any sense?

The bottom line is, I would totally buy them again. Even at the high price. My wife drove our little P520 around in the mountains and at home after we got back. She pronounced it was a totally different machine now. Some of the credit goes to the power steering which she absolutely loves, but the ride is so much better than a year ago before the modifications happened.

Rob

Last edited:
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520

I know it’s really hard to tell here because of the new skid plate to see the difference between the front and rear heights. So if anyone can tell me if there’s a difference between the front and the rear on their machine that stock and I know where to go from here and adjust preload to the front to shocks

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
View attachment 349475
I know it’s really hard to tell here because of the new skid plate to see the difference between the front and rear heights. So if anyone can tell me if there’s a difference between the front and the rear on their machine that stock and I know where to go from here and adjust preload to the front to shocks
Looks good. Like the wheels.
as for pre load its a preference and u will just have to keep messin with them till u get what u like. With aftermarket shocks, no 2 machines are alike. If this is what your asking?

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks Remington.

The biggest reason I’m asking about preload is because of the alignment for the front. After I put on the super ATV arched a arms, I noticed that as ride height changes so does the toe. I’m trying to get it dialed in and after looking at the machine a little bit I noticed that it looked like it was a little lower in the front and the rear. So when I had just a preload on the passenger side, I noticed that it was changing the front toe.

that’s of course an easy fix, and I carry a couple wrenches with me every once in a while to just adjust the alignment on the fly.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks Remington.

The biggest reason I’m asking about preload is because of the alignment for the front. After I put on the super ATV arched a arms, I noticed that as ride height changes so does the toe. I’m trying to get it dialed in and after looking at the machine a little bit I noticed that it looked like it was a little lower in the front and the rear. So when I had just a preload on the passenger side, I noticed that it was changing the front toe.

that’s of course an easy fix, and I carry a couple wrenches with me every once in a while to just adjust the alignment on the fly.
No prob, yeah every time u make an adjustment something else suffers lol. But at least you have arms so u can do that. Just keep at it, you'll get it.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Looks good. Like the wheels.
as for pre load its a preference and u will just have to keep messin with them till u get what u like. With aftermarket shocks, no 2 machines are alike. If this is what your asking?
This ^^^^^

The ride height (what your asking about) is really your preference. Everyone will have a different opinion that is correct FOR THEM. Find the settings you like.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Rather than hijack this thread any further, I’m going to start a new one about an alignment and ride height. I feel like mines way off from where it should be. I can fix it, but just need a little bit of parameters on what it should look like.

J

Janesy

Mar 15, 2021
Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
I got beat up bad today on my 520. Took my daughter on a short but rough trail to scout for bears. Roots on shield trails are pretty hard under this machine. Granted my tires were pretty full. But I wasn't very impressed at how easy this machine lifted tiers off the ground when climbing rocks. I'm now shopping for shocks

Y

Yomama101

Feb 6, 2022
Mesa AZ
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 520
I got beat up bad today on my 520. Took my daughter on a short but rough trail to scout for bears. Roots on shield trails are pretty hard under this machine. Granted my tires were pretty full. But I wasn't very impressed at how easy this machine lifted tiers off the ground when climbing rocks. I'm now shopping for shocks
Several options out there. I like my Elkas 1s. ;)

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520

Same here! I’m leaning Walker Evans but Elka has a bunch more options.

Mike

Tanakalaga

Tanakalaga

Mar 19, 2021
Québec
Ownership

1. 500
My Elka 1s (Front) just arrived today, installed them and toke a little ride in the mountain up and down to test them with my girl friend. It's totally another machine now, so smooth ! Cannot imagne what it will be once the rears will be istalled. Really worth the buying :)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!