P700 EPS recall done + fuel pump. Now it dies when driving.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I could see the crank sensor going bad (part of the stator) and causing stalls, but why the reboot of the dash?
I know stray AC voltage can cause all sorts of weird symptoms in cars, but wouldn't that be the regulator/rectifier causing the issue?

PCMs often have "protection" against reverse polarity ( like hooking the battery up backwards ). I don't know what that entails, since smoking a $$$ PCM/ECM isn't good for job security, but is it possible the PCM is sensing some AC voltage and shutting itself down for protection? That would explain it.

A

AUSXS

Dec 15, 2021
Australia
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have been waiting to really test mine after a fix by my dealer. I have now run it for lots of hot runs and hours of continuous use.
It has not missed a beat.
Before I could not go more than 2 hours with out constant shutdown and restarting.
PCM was replaced. New wiring harness and a new dedicated earth installed separate to the wiring harness.
I know this does not exactly nail the issue but it sure fixed it for me.
Hope this is of some help to others.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have been waiting to really test mine after a fix by my dealer. I have now run it for lots of hot runs and hours of continuous use.
It has not missed a beat.
Before I could not go more than 2 hours with out constant shutdown and restarting.
PCM was replaced. New wiring harness and a new dedicated earth installed separate to the wiring harness.
I know this does not exactly nail the issue but it sure fixed it for me.
Hope this is of some help to others.
Honestly, I'm starting to lean towards the PCM as being the culprit with mine as well...and for whatever reason it just chose to behave itself right after the first ignition switch change. Only time and miles will tell...

A

AUSXS

Dec 15, 2021
Australia
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just guessing but PCM might be temperamental or not able to handle shorting from bad ignition or faulty earth.
My ignition was not replaced. If the earth or ignition was effected and continuously shorted it might permanently compromise the PCM so that it reboots? Mine only did it after an hour or so of running.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just guessing but PCM might be temperamental or not able to handle shorting from bad ignition or faulty earth.
My ignition was not replaced. If the earth or ignition was effected and continuously shorted it might permanently compromise the PCM so that it reboots? Mine only did it after an hour or so of running.
Bad grounds have certainly wiped out plenty of auto PCM's.

R

robotorx

Feb 21, 2021
perth, australia
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-2
Hey guys, we are having same dramas here in Australia. Swapped a PCM with another machines one and thought we fixed the problem, but same again. Seems to be more prevalent when it gets hot. Machine is less than one year old.

Will let you know how our troubleshooting goes.

Does anyone know what that silver box under the hood is? Not the reg, the other one up near the dash. We only have an old 2014 manual and cant find reference to it.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hey guys, we are having same dramas here in Australia. Swapped a PCM with another machines one and thought we fixed the problem, but same again. Seems to be more prevalent when it gets hot. Machine is less than one year old.

Does anyone know what that silver box under the hood is? Not the reg, the other one up near the dash. We only have an old 2014 manual and cant find reference to it.
That's encouraging...

The EPS module is located slightly off to the right side of the machine on the metal bar that runs under the hood.

50ish miles today. No issues.

A

AUSXS

Dec 15, 2021
Australia
Ownership

1. 700-2

I am in Australia too. Mine now seems to be fixed. Plenty of all day hot use. See previous posts.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thermal cams can be very handy.

Is the harness NOT supposed to be warm? The wires from the stator up to the rectifier are always warm on mine (as well as the unit). I think they run through that harness that runs of behind the right wheel.

A

AUSXS

Dec 15, 2021
Australia
Ownership

1. 700-2
Guys make fun of me for my thermal camera, but this has happened before and being able to see that hot wire is a life saver.
sorry mate, went through your posts and cant find 100% your solution? what was it, PCM? it feels like the harness at the wheel arch is getting warm/hot, so Im going to look again for another broken wire.

Reactions: Buggyman
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Maybe 8 miles, plenty of issues.

Not had it out in a while waiting on some front diff input case on backorder. Did the seal again and decided to use it for a few miles today to check out the south end of Casa Grande MTN and shakedown the 2nd seal and just run it for a bit.

After maybe 5 miles the machine began to shut down repeatedly. As talked about by others, throwing it in neutral does keep it running...but literally, probably 12-15 times it shut down.

I stopped and pulled the seat off and threw it in back with the intention of pouring cold water on the PCM, and also wiggled the harness back by the ground. Then, before I could do the water thing it stopped doing it.
So why cold water? It was 107 degrees by my little cab thermometer. So maybe heat DOES have something to do with it?

A few more people have had this on fb. I've been hoping that, due to the number of people who've had the issue, maybe Honda will issues one of those tsb things? @HondaTech? @Slackjaw any more updates?

I'm kinda where slackjaw is. I'm just not in the mood right now to chase this s*** colored unicorn. I have other things going at the moment, but I think it's time to move on, and I'll spend the coming weeks deciding what to do.

H

HondaTech

Not had it out in a while waiting on some front diff input case on backorder. Did the seal again and decided to use it for a few miles today to check out the south end of Casa Grande MTN and shakedown the 2nd seal and just run it for a bit.

After maybe 5 miles the machine began to shut down repeatedly. As talked about by others, throwing it in neutral does keep it running...but literally, probably 12-15 times it shut down.

I stopped and pulled the seat off and threw it in back with the intention of pouring cold water on the PCM, and also wiggled the harness back by the ground. Then, before I could do the water thing it stopped doing it.
So why cold water? It was 107 degrees by my little cab thermometer. So maybe heat DOES have something to do with it?

A few more people have had this on fb. I've been hoping that, due to the number of people who've had the issue, maybe Honda will issues one of those tsb things? @HondaTech? @Slackjaw any more updates?

I'm kinda where slackjaw is. I'm just not in the mood right now to chase this s*** colored unicorn. I have other things going at the moment, but I think it's time to move on, and I'll spend the coming weeks deciding what to do.

Ive not had one 700 issue like this, honestly other than Camshaft failures and the occasional exhaust noise or brake noise, the P700 has been trouble free for me.

Honda will only issue something like a bulletin or article if they get enough calls from dealers asking for technical support on a consistent issue or its been warranty repaired enough that they have figure the problem out to ease troubleshooting.

The LV steering angle sensor thing for instance, ive personally replace 4 on 1 customers unit. They've found the sensor to be ok, but the procedure for initializing it was incorrect. They've sent out a bulletin for the new procedure.

Ive had 2 P1K with random PCM failures, symptoms were hard starts ( need throttle input to start), fouling plugs, rough or no idle, IACV codes, INJ codes. Put they never acted like these 2 units.

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2

My only update is I get pissed off just looking at my p700. I haven't driven it in a month.
Total dissatisfaction with Machine, service and dealer support.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
My only update is I get pissed off just looking at my p700. I haven't driven it in a month.
Total dissatisfaction with Machine, service and dealer support.
Can't say I blame you. You never heard of this with the 700 in the early years.

I guess I'm going to recrimp the ground ends and maybe add an extra ground or two.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!