Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Haha. Ok so I disconnected my sway bar. Left the cabin for the 5 mile run to the NF. First a couple miles on gravel then rural asphalt road. No real discernible difference there. Didn't really feel the "drift" that some have mentioned. Once in the NF and on the abandoned logging roads (which are overgrown and rutted out to merely trails now) I began to feel the difference. It is as though the rear spring/shock assemblies are working independent so the ride feels more like (but not completely like) my PoPo, it seemed to float over the ruts and bumps and rocks. Mama noticed it right off.

In the 50 miles we did Saturday, I navigated through multiple off camber events, the kind that always lifted one wheel off the ground, but this time I kept my wheels on the ground. In one particular place we both were certain this was it, but it stayed upright, to both our surprise.

So, I still can't see why it has a sway bar, but for the time being, I'll leave it on but disconnected and wired up (yeah, the zip ties both broke) and continue to experiment with it before I'm certain enough to remove it altogether.

One other thing. Sunday's ride was to the Ouachita river where we finally found a piece of bank that we could negotiate down in and back out without winching. But running in the river, the Yellow Jacket had difficulties a couple times, and once, the Red Wasp had to winch him out. He said, "that's it, I've got to get new tires"! Oh, and on Saturdays ride, he clocked 50 miles while I clocked 45!!!! So, those of us with larger tires than stock are not accumulating accurate mileage. Oh, and I lost the pig tail off my receiver, the hook off my winch cable, and the scabbard off my chainsaw. :(

Any way, I have an overall positive review of the sway bar disconnect but will continue experimentation with it.

A few pics over the weekend.

Image Image Image Image

Last edited:
webby

webby

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2015
Philipsburg, Pa.
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 17137 View attachment 17139 View attachment 17141 View attachment 17142 Haha. Ok so I disconnected my sway bar. Left the cabin for the 5 mile run to the NF. First a couple miles on gravel then rural asphalt road. No real discernible difference there. Didn't really feel the "drift" that some have mentioned. Once in the NF and on the abandoned logging roads (which are overgrown and rutted out to merely trails now) I began to feel the difference. It is as though the rear spring/shock assemblies are working independent so the ride feels more like (but not completely like) my PoPo, it seemed to float over the ruts and bumps and rocks. Mama noticed it right off.

In the 50 miles we did Saturday, I navigated through multiple off camber events, the kind that always lifted one wheel off the ground, but this time I kept my wheels on the ground. In one particular place we both were certain this was it, but it stayed upright, to both our surprise.

So, I still can't see why it has a sway bar, but for the time being, I'll leave it on but disconnected and wired up (yeah, the zip ties both broke) and continue to experiment with it before I'm certain enough to remove it altogether.

One other thing. Sunday's ride was to the Ouachita river where we finally found a piece of bank that we could negotiate down in and back out without winching. But running in the river, the Yellow Jacket had difficulties a couple times, and once, the Red Wasp had to winch him out. He said, "that's it, I've got to get new tires"! Oh, and on Saturdays ride, he clocked 50 miles while I clocked 45!!!! So, those of us with larger tires than stock are not accumulating accurate mileage. Oh, and I lost the pig tail off my receiver, the hook off my winch cable, and the scabbard off my chainsaw. :(

Any way, I have an overall positive review of the sway bar disconnect but will continue experimentation with it.

View attachment 17137 View attachment 17139 View attachment 17141 View attachment 17142
Thanks for the update Monte....I've been thinking about disconnecting mine.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks for the update Monte....I've been thinking about disconnecting mine.
Go right ahead. Leave it in place, if you like the feel you can completely remove it, if not, connect it back up. There's really nothing to loose that I can tell by experimenting with it. And if you read what others have said, they're not looking back.

Reactions: webby
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Monte, what area are you riding in and what town were you close to? Do y'all own a cabin near there?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Monte, what area are you riding in and what town were you close to? Do y'all own a cabin near there?
So my buddy has a cabin on the Ouachita river, five miles from the ONF. Near Sims. I'm going to be organising a ride at Wolf Pen Gap later in the year. You may be interested. If you'd like to ride with us in the ONF sometime, let me know, we ride average 2-3 weekends a month and will be next weekend.

Last edited:
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So my buddy has a cabin on the Ouachita river, five miles from the ONF. Near Sims. I'm going to be organising a ride at Wolf Pen Gap later in the year. You may be interested. If you'd like to ride with us in the ONF sometime, let me know, we ride average 3-4 weekends a month and will be next weekend.
Thanks we would like that. Still waiting on Big Tex to call me saying our new trailer is ready so we will have some way to haul this thing. We also need to get our initial service and we'll be ready to go.

Reactions: TR1 and Montecresto
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your buddy's cabin must be pretty close to ours. We are on the Quachita river between Oden and Pencil Bluff.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I thought you would like it disconnected and I'm glad you were able to feel the articulation and the tires staying on the ground. In an earlier post I mentioned I rarely use 4 wheel lock on my 700 with the bar disconnected and this is why. With four tires on the ground 3wd gets you almost anywhere!

Reactions: trigger and webby
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I thought you would like it disconnected and I'm glad you were able to feel the articulation and the tires staying on the ground. In an earlier post I mentioned I rarely use 4 wheel lock on my 700 with the bar disconnected and this is why. With four tires on the ground 3wd gets you almost anywhere!
Yes, you did. That makes sense, good point. Thanks @Tflynn.

Reactions: Tflynn
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Your buddy's cabin must be pretty close to ours. We are on the Quachita river between Oden and Pencil Bluff.
Wow, that's crazy. He's down stream a few miles. Is your cabin right on the river, and do you ride that area?

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks we would like that. Still waiting on Big Tex to call me saying our new trailer is ready so we will have some way to haul this thing. We also need to get our initial service and we'll be ready to go.
Ok cool, we'll keep in touch about this. Good trailer maker you chose too! Just noticed you've got the 1000, we'll have to stick to the wider trails, but no problemo.

webby

webby

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2015
Philipsburg, Pa.
Ownership

1. 500
Go right ahead. Leave it in place, if you like the feel you can completely remove it, if not, connect it back up. There's really nothing to loose that I can tell by experimenting with it. And if you read what others have said, they're not looking back.
I'll give it a go. That's what is so cool about this forum.....I never would have thought to do that. A lot of experienced guys (and gals) willing to share info.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow, that's crazy. He's down stream a few miles. Is your cabin right on the river, and do you ride that area?
We are in an area that is about 200 acres behind gates on a mountain and the Quachita river is about 1/4 mile from our cabin. We have deeded river access. Our main road coming in here crosses NF land at the op of the hill but it is to steep and grown over to get access from our property. I need to find a forest service road near here to gain access. We ride in here but the trails are limited. We do ride down to the river and ride along for some distance but you never know what has washed into the way with all the floods this year.

Reactions: TR1
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
We are in an area that is about 200 acres behind gates on a mountain and the Quachita river is about 1/4 mile from our cabin. We have deeded river access. Our main road coming in here crosses NF land at the op of the hill but it is to steep and grown over to get access from our property. I need to find a forest service road near here to gain access. We ride in here but the trails are limited. We do ride down to the river and ride along for some distance but you never know what has washed into the way with all the floods this year.
That sounds really nice!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'll give it a go. That's what is so cool about this forum.....I never would have thought to do that. A lot of experienced guys (and gals) willing to share info.
True that, I was walked through a very difficult (to me anyway) dual battery set up by another member and of course there's been a tremendous amount of encouragement concerning the sway bar disconnect.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
View attachment 17137 View attachment 17139 View attachment 17141 View attachment 17142 Haha. Ok so I disconnected my sway bar. Left the cabin for the 5 mile run to the NF. First a couple miles on gravel then rural asphalt road. No real discernible difference there. Didn't really feel the "drift" that some have mentioned. Once in the NF and on the abandoned logging roads (which are overgrown and rutted out to merely trails now) I began to feel the difference. It is as though the rear spring/shock assemblies are working independent so the ride feels more like (but not completely like) my PoPo, it seemed to float over the ruts and bumps and rocks. Mama noticed it right off.

View attachment 17137 View attachment 17139 View attachment 17141 View attachment 17142
Great pics Monte... I'm still trying to get someone else to buy a P500 to ride with me... no luck though. A very close friend of mine had decided to buy either a P500 or a Rhino clone and he passed away unexpectedly a couple weeks ago. That's why I've been kinda quiet lately.

It would be a blast to ride with with another P500, especially in such a great place as you get to ride. BTW... I have almost 800 miles on mine already. And I just bought it on Good Friday!!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Great pics Monte... I'm still trying to get someone else to buy a P500 to ride with me... no luck though. A very close friend of mine had decided to buy either a P500 or a Rhino clone and he passed away unexpectedly a couple weeks ago. That's why I've been kinda quiet lately.

It would be a blast to ride with with another P500, especially in such a great place as you get to ride. BTW... I have almost 800 miles on mine already. And I just bought it on Good Friday!!!
I'm very sorry for your loss buddy, that's truly a shame. I hope you find a suitable riding partner soon. It does make for very enjoyable trail riding. I can't believe you've already put that many miles on yours. I've had mine for almost two years and I have just over 1,200 miles. Btw, FYI. Saturday's ride my buddy logged 50 miles, while I logged 45. So those of us with larger tires are not accurately accumulating miles.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'm very sorry for your loss buddy, that's truly a shame. I hope you find a suitable riding partner soon. It does make for very enjoyable trail riding. I can't believe you've already put that many miles on yours. I've had mine for almost two years and I have just over 1,200 miles. Btw, FYI. Saturday's ride my buddy logged 50 miles, while I logged 45. So those of us with larger tires are not accurately accumulating miles.
Thanks...

Yeah i'm on the back roads a lot. If I ride at all, it's at least 5 - 8 miles at 30 MPH or so just getting to and from the trails - and I ride it most days. So the vast majority of the miles are very easy miles in high gear, and no mud. The Kenda's are holding up marvelously. Hardly any noticeable wear. Yeah I know the taller tires are going to throw the mileage off a bit, and the speed. At first I was surprised by the 45 to 50 difference, but when you think about it that's about 10%. Compare the circumference of the stock front tire which is about 74.57" to the circumference of my 26" Kenda tires which is roughly 81.64". The difference is 7" - around 10%. So it all makes sense.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks...

Yeah i'm on the back roads a lot. If I ride at all, it's at least 5 - 8 miles at 30 MPH or so just getting to and from the trails - and I ride it most days. So the vast majority of the miles are very easy miles in high gear, and no mud. The Kenda's are holding up marvelously. Hardly any noticeable wear. Yeah I know the taller tires are going to throw the mileage off a bit, and the speed. At first I was surprised by the 45 to 50 difference, but when you think about it that's about 10%. Compare the circumference of the stock front tire which is about 74.57" to the circumference of my 26" Kenda tires which is roughly 81.64". The difference is 7" - around 10%. So it all makes sense.
Haha, I hadn't thought of that. You're always thinking I noticed.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015

It might be the other way around. With my stock tires I was really going 38 when it said 42, with the 26" the speedo is dead on...

Reactions: Talen
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!