Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So my new fox shocks came in. Opened them up i notice that there is no wrench provided... how are you guys adjusting the preload?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So my new fox shocks came in. Opened them up i notice that there is no wrench provided... how are you guys adjusting the preload?
That's why I tore up my front end so bad. Needed about 10 or so rounds screwed in but I hadn't tested before the trip so it was a pita. Need the tool I wasn't doing a pipe wrench wish I had. I'd say even with a lighter rig the fronts are soft. Rears were totally on par out of box.

Reactions: sharp and Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's why I tore up my front end so bad. Needed about 10 or so rounds screwed in but I hadn't tested before the trip so it was a pita. Need the tool I wasn't doing a pipe wrench wish I had. I'd say even with a lighter rig the fronts are soft. Rears were totally on par out of box.
Great! From what I gather you only screw it down 2 turns to prevent coil bind? Any idea on this?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Great! From what I gather you only screw it down 2 turns to prevent coil bind? Any idea on this?

I'm not sure on that there is a long way to go on mine before they'd touch. Maybe not the 10 rounds I mentioned but they need a lot. You saw how mine sat. It was so nose down and shocks bottomed because of it. That's what happened on the 26-0 mph rock while following @Hondasxs and why I was taking out upper control arms. Wish I would've had a weekend to test before the takeover I would've had it dialed. I'd suggest to anyone screw those down some before riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp and Delton
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not sure on that there is a long way to go on mine before they'd touch. Maybe not the 10 rounds I mentioned but they need a lot. You saw how mine sat. It was so nose down and shocks bottomed because of it. That's what happened on the 26-0 mph rock while following @Hondasxs and why I was taking out upper control arms. Wish I would've had a weekend to test before the takeover I would've had it dialed. I'd suggest to anyone screw those down some before riding.

CP how do you determine how much to adjust - and that you need adjustment.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
CP how do you determine how much to adjust - and that you need adjustment.

I want about an inch of sag when dropped from a jack.
They come set up fairly close to an empty rig I believe and although the rears were good the fronts were too soft for all the additional weight. Even with the lift on mine the nose sat about stock. It was ok until a series of bumps and just can't recover quickly enough. I fought that the whole weekend and trashed the front end.

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I wish you said something. I had it with me!

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I've got about a inch of preload on the drivers side f and r. 1/2" on passenger side. It works well without a sway bar. At 1 point I had 2" on drivers side and 1 1/2" on the passenger side- it added lift and rebound. A little to much because you could hear the shocks slap open when you leave the ground. All this is in my build.

Last edited:
Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

A little trick to adjust the fronts--- jack the front of the ground. Loose the locking ring with a large screwdriver or punch. Lube the spring perches with wd40 or penetrating oil and simply grasp the spring and turn it. You can get about 1/2" that way when it get tight grab the spanner.

J

JTW

A little trick to adjust the fronts--- jack the front of the ground. Loose the locking ring with a large screwdriver or punch. Lube the spring perches with wd40 or penetrating oil and simply grasp the spring and turn it. You can get about 1/2" that way when it get tight grab the spanner.
Good tip!!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I was just going to lift it and pull the upper bolt lol it's a b**** to get at

Reactions: sharp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!