Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm jelly of everyone with shocks, I just gotta find a way to order some and wife not see it dammit

Mention how many people flipped if running more then one person and show her this C057d932bc15d6a4a5f017ffdbec704a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Need to just expense it through business,but I bet my cpa would frown at that in my business.

Yes sir I need shocks so I could adequately perform that circumsision, uuuh you know you don't want it bumpy when I'm doing that right?

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2 1/4 from housing to upper nut in front. I'm heavier then most though. Rear left alone so far it's been great but only running three people in front so far. I'll get this in this weekend
View attachment 43107
So if I am understanding correctly - you
1. Settle the shocks and measure the height from the floor (from a specific reference point)
2. You load the weight into the machine that you normally ride with (including yourself and passengers
3. Adjust the shocks (to compensate in drop in height) to where the original height / clearance with out passengers is the same with the weight added?

Does this sound right?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So if I am understanding correctly - you
1. Settle the shocks and measure the height from the floor (from a specific reference point)
2. You load the weight into the machine that you normally ride with (including yourself and passengers
3. Adjust the shocks (to compensate in drop in height) to where the original height / clearance with out passengers is the same with the weight added?

Does this sound right?
Ya that's a good reference for sure. Obviously weight matters. There should be about an inch of sag to the shocks at rest with normal load reguardless of where the rig previously sat. My rears came out of the box with just a little more hight in the rear and less in the front then stock but I'd say they should be about a 1/4 higher all the way from what I see

Reactions: sharp and Ragnar406
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya that's a good reference for sure. Obviously weight matters. There should be about an inch of sag to the shocks at rest with normal load reguardless of where the rig previously sat. My rears came out of the box with just a little more hight in the rear and less in the front then stock but I'd say they should be about a 1/4 higher all the way from what I see
My front sits a little lower than the back now. I have not added a Bumper but have added a winch and extra battery up front. I was surprised to see how much more adjustment was in the fronts of the PK-3 verses the Pk-5. I know @Tigermark 's front shocks were dialed down further than mine and while I know the PK-5 is heaver I would not have though all that weight was in the front.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One more question for the settings I find that I ride Med the most and have switched to Firm in the back when towing or have a heaver load in the bin. is there a run of thumb as to when to use which setting? Knowing that you have to experiment and adapt to your driving style terrain and load

Reactions: sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My front sits a little lower than the back now. I have not added a Bumper but have added a winch and extra battery up front. I was surprised to see how much more adjustment was in the fronts of the PK-3 verses the Pk-5. I know @Tigermark 's front shocks were dialed down further than mine and while I know the PK-5 is heaver I would not have though all that weight was in the front.
The shocks for the two are different. I was surprised at how high the springs for the 5 sat and I'm positive that's not enough spring rate for anyone. Turned out costly for me
Not sure about rule of thumb on settings. Myself I want to be able to run comfortably on med with a normal load so either way you've got adjustment. Soft should bottom out on heavy hard ride and hard should be a bit too bouncy for light duty. Get them dialed on medium and you'll be happy

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp and Ragnar406
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Inch of sag please explain.? Have mine on order

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Inch of sag please explain.? Have mine on order

You want a little sag but not too much. Inch so far seems good. You don't want the shock at the top or too far to the bottom of the stroke. The shock "rests" as you drop the vehicle onto the ground from a jacked up position and roll it some. Measure length of shock or tire to fender before and after its dropped. For mine it seems right at an inch of difference at the fender. Lighter rigs probably just a bit more
I previously didn't adjust these and there was over 2 inches which means too soft and we bottomed out continually

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
One thing I like about the elkas. No spanner needed. Those things suck. Allen clamp screw and a round rod with a 45 to turn the nut. No beating with a chisel!View attachment 42931
When you ordered your Elka's did they ask you what assessories you have? I think Elka tries to get you close to the right set up out of the box

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
When you ordered your Elka's did they ask you what assessories you have? I think Elka tries to get you close to the right set up out of the box
Yes. I did send them back for a re-valve though.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!