Frankenstein Snorkel

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thought I'd share my snorkel set up, something I haven't seen yet.
Of course I took ideas from some others and came up with this. I wanted to be able to go back stock and keep things as neat as possible.
I called S&B up and was able to order there side cover, grommet and molded tube. ($49.00 with shipping)
Ordered cold air intake kit off Amazon. It was like $90.00, I definitely didn't need that big of a kit! (Only used a couple pieces)
And a snorkel head off Ebay $17.00
Had some leftover Frog Skin from my Pioneer snorkel I put on the pipe under the snorkel head.
Just finished piecing it together last night. Everything is solid and will be even more so when I secure the snorkel head to the roll cage.
All in all went together pretty nice, with no drilling. I can go back factory in about 15 minutes if the need ever came.

20210120 210750 20210120 210800 20210120 210838

Corvettejo

Corvettejo

Jan 6, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon R
Would you happen to have links to the cover/ molded tube and the snorkel cover?

Reactions: Rambo
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I will be using these parts on my next Talon. Making the mods I have been doing is a PITA and now the guys can do the install themselves. Talk about EASY, thanks for the info Rambo. I have been making the snorkels for the guys but that just came to an END.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I will be using these parts on my next Talon. Making the mods I have been doing is a PITA and now the guys can do the install themselves. Talk about EASY, thanks for the info Rambo. I have been making the snorkels for the guys but that just came to an END.
I'm an idiot, I just enlarged Rambo's second photo, the answer is clear. 😊

Any idea if it retains the goofy stock air intake chamber like your idea? I don't think there's enough room on top (at the airhorn) to attach a 3" 90* to get over to the side vent. 🤔 Maybe a molded plastic 90* will fit. I wonder how they attach to the airhorn if they keep the stock intake chamber? 🤔

I T4FfTzf XL

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not saying you couldn't keep the stock intake chamber, but It wouldn't be as easy to install. I see no reason to keep it other than intake noise. Got my radio to loud to worry about that. Lol

I'll post some links tomorrow, And give some measurements. Once I got things cut to length went together pretty easy.

Reactions: CID
Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm an idiot, I just enlarged Rambo's second photo, the answer is clear. 😊

Any idea if it retains the goofy stock air intake chamber like your idea? I don't think there's enough room on top (at the airhorn) to attach a 3" 90* to get over to the side vent. 🤔 Maybe a molded plastic 90* will fit. I wonder how they attach to the airhorn if they keep the stock intake chamber? 🤔

View attachment 250235
Thats how I did my first snorkel. On my second Talon, totaled the first one
Not saying you couldn't keep the stock intake chamber, but It wouldn't be as easy to install. I see no reason to keep it other than intake noise. Got my radio to loud to worry about that. Lol

I'll post some links tomorrow, And give some measurements. Once I got things cut to length went together pretty easy.
Here's links to what I used....

Amazon.com: Universal 3" Inch Aluminum Intercooler Piping U-Pipe Kit + Coupler Black + T-Bolt: KABOCHO, KABOCHO, KABOCHO: Automotive
Pictured below are the only tubes I used from the kit. I'm sure a person could source these without buying all the extra. Where I'm pointing, I cut that flange off each pipe on one end.( just behind the flange) Then cut 6" off the other end of each pipe.
I used only one 3 "silicone coupler from the kit. I had to buy another brand coupler to make the connection on the top side.(link below)
The couplers in the kit didn't have enough give to stretch over one end of S&B's tube. You'll also need a 2 larger hose clamps for the connections on the S&B tube.
20210122 084248Screenshot 20210122 110927 Drive
Above is S&B's particle separator, I ordered part numbers 2,3&4. On part 2, "the tube" I cut off 2" to bring it closer to my back window. This was not necessary but looks better, IMO.

Universal Snorkel Inlet Head 3"Inch For Off Road Mudding Air Intake Ram | eBay

Amazon.com: Spectre Performance 8771 3-3/2.5" Intake Coupler: Automotive

Corvettejo

Corvettejo

Jan 6, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thats how I did my first snorkel. On my second Talon, totaled the first one

Here's links to what I used....

Amazon.com: Universal 3" Inch Aluminum Intercooler Piping U-Pipe Kit + Coupler Black + T-Bolt: KABOCHO, KABOCHO, KABOCHO: Automotive
Pictured below are the only tubes I used from the kit. I'm sure a person could source these without buying all the extra. Where I'm pointing, I cut that flange off each pipe on one end.( just behind the flange) Then cut 6" off the other end of each pipe.
I used only one 3 "silicone coupler from the kit. I had to buy another brand coupler to make the connection on the top side.(link below)
The couplers in the kit didn't have enough give to stretch over one end of S&B's tube. You'll also need a 2 larger hose clamps for the connections on the S&B tube.
View attachment 250325View attachment 250322
Above is S&B's particle separator, I ordered part numbers 2,3&4. On part 2, "the tube" I cut off 2" to bring it closer to my back window. This was not necessary but looks better, IMO.

Universal Snorkel Inlet Head 3"Inch For Off Road Mudding Air Intake Ram | eBay

Amazon.com: Spectre Performance 8771 3-3/2.5" Intake Coupler: Automotive
Thanks Rambo

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
The kit that you linked to shows "Unavailable" but there is another that looks identical for $106. That seems like a great value! You could put an intake just about anywhere with all those pipes!

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The kit that you linked to shows "Unavailable" but there is another that looks identical for $106. That seems like a great value! You could put an intake just about anywhere with all those pipes!
Yeah I seen that, looks to be the same kit just branded different. Like you said could run it anyway you wanted and still have enough to do a buddies.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
I like the idea of "easy back to stock." Removing the air chambers connected to the intake would concern me. Honda wouldn't develop and manufacture that complicated piece just for aesthetics. It ain't pretty and it's hidden anyway. I hope you or someone else will update on any noticed performance changes.

My main agenda was to have easier inspections and cleaning of my filter system. It would be easy to add a pre-filter to this relocation project.

Last edited:
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
That looks good. Nice job! Do you have a pre-filter? Or is that the frog skin you talked about? I certainly like the no drill and go out the side vent system.

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That looks good. Nice job! Do you have a pre-filter? Or is that the frog skin you talked about? I certainly like the no drill and go out the side vent system.
I currently just have Frog Skin over the intake pipe under the snorkel head. Its just a mesh screen to keep the big stuff out. They do offer a pre-filter that goes inside the snorkel head, I may look into one of those....
Used a Velcro strap from my SATV rear window to secure the snorkel head.(they sent a couple extra when I ordered my window) Worked great.
Just ran two screws from the buckel on the strap into the snorkel head.

20210125 215638 20210125 215654

Reactions: PhilCod
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Okay, good to know. Mine is already snorkeled with the HondaBob kit and I have a K&N pre-filter with a cover and a UNI for dry days. I hope when I am ready for a new Talon Honda adopts a idea like yours or others to address that absolutely horrible intake area.
I see you are in Southern IN. I'm sure we tear up some of the same trials in TN/WV/KY

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Okay, good to know. Mine is already snorkeled with the HondaBob kit and I have a K&N pre-filter with a cover and a UNI for dry days. I hope when I am ready for a new Talon Honda adopts a idea like yours or others to address that absolutely horrible intake area.
I see you are in Southern IN. I'm sure we tear up some of the same trials in TN/WV/KY
Yeah, a redesign on the air intake would be nice!
We usually always ride TN. Pioneer is 3 & 1/2 hours frome the house, so its our go to spot!

rbtnt

rbtnt

Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Talon X
Looks good and nice write up. Have you run in a dusty area yet to see how the air flows to make sure it doesn't roll right into the snorkel? I'm asking because I've seen on other vehicles where they turn the snorkel intake 90 or 180 degrees because the air and dirt was flowing right into it. This could be different for each vehicle depending if there is a rear window, storage box or even lights mounted on the roof.
I haven't been able to find the pre filter yet. Did you have a source for them?

Reactions: Rambo and CID
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yeah, a redesign on the air intake would be nice!
We usually always ride TN. Pioneer is 3 & 1/2 hours frome the house, so its our go to spot!
I like Brimstone and TWRA, but we do like WV better. Most of the guys I ride with are in Cincinnati, so TN or WV are about the same distance from WV trails or the Comfort Inn in Pioneer. Brimstone just gets so beat up and they do so little trail maintenance it just gets old. I have the lifetime trial maps on my tablet, so we stick more to TWRA.

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks good and nice write up. Have you run in a dusty area yet to see how the air flows to make sure it doesn't roll right into the snorkel? I'm asking because I've seen on other vehicles where they turn the snorkel intake 90 or 180 degrees because the air and dirt was flowing right into it. This could be different for each vehicle depending if there is a rear window, storage box or even lights mounted on the roof.
I haven't been able to find the pre filter yet. Did you have a source for them?
I don't have many miles with this set up, but it's basically a copy of a snorkel kit my buddy bought. I do know that getting the intake out from under the fender helps prolong filter life! I went on two rides in Tennessee and changed my filter with like 450 miles on it. With the set up I have now, hoping to get double that. Keep in mind running a pre-filter will only give more miles on that stock filter, but on that same note I don't want to restrict to much air flow. Here is the pre filter I might try...BLACK Universal Snorkel Pre Filter Cleaner 3inch 150mm x 100mm with 10 x filters | eBay

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Our first real riding trip was Hatfields and McCoy's. Thought it was pretty awesome and will go back someday, but almost twice the drive keeps us going back to Tennessee. We've rode about everything but Brimstone. Lol

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thought I'd share my snorkel set up, something I haven't seen yet.
Of course I took ideas from some others and came up with this. I wanted to be able to go back stock and keep things as neat as possible.
I called S&B up and was able to order there side cover, grommet and molded tube. ($49.00 with shipping)
Ordered cold air intake kit off Amazon. It was like $90.00, I definitely didn't need that big of a kit! (Only used a couple pieces)
And a snorkel head off Ebay $17.00
Had some leftover Frog Skin from my Pioneer snorkel I put on the pipe under the snorkel head.
Just finished piecing it together last night. Everything is solid and will be even more so when I secure the snorkel head to the roll cage.
All in all went together pretty nice, with no drilling. I can go back factory in about 15 minutes if the need ever came.

View attachment 250124 View attachment 250125 View attachment 250126
Pretty slick!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!