Frankenstein Snorkel

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
Our first real riding trip was Hatfields and McCoy's. Thought it was pretty awesome and will go back someday, but almost twice the drive keeps us going back to Tennessee. We've rode about everything but Brimstone. Lol
I haven't been to Hatfield McCoy in years because of distance. And I thought high price for a couple days of riding. I rode quads there. It is huge, and so many different types of riding. Locals say the H/M system is small compared to none system riding. If it was closer I would go theresome. But for quads, Wayne National Forest near Logan, Ohio was great for 20+ years.

Reactions: Rambo
Josh97stang

Josh97stang

Sep 12, 2020
Sheridan, AR
Ownership

1. Talon X
Nice write up. I too went out the side with mine. I didn’t like the idea of drilling a large hole in the plastic. I wish I knew about the side cover piece earlier. I used cutters and cut out an area large enough in the original grate so that the pipe would fit through. I used the same intake kit off Amazon. Was able to do 2 Talons with one kit. We used the Uni filter turned upside down in case we rode in the rain. So far, our set up has been great. I split the cost of the intake kit with a friend and was able to do my setup for about the cost of an OEM Honda air filter so win win. I do like the looks of your setup though. I did keep the stock chamber installed and attached to it.

4E3C588F 1A09 4476 9227 296C64EC84615AC66632 0F58 43C7 BB7A 48272A01F3AB6F6FD460 9024 40C1 8437 A78B0B78705B69A03C45 4BB5 4BB3 B99C 7773F4629D85

Last edited:
Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice write up. I too went out the side with mine. I didn’t like the idea of drilling a large hole in the plastic. I wish I knew about the side cover piece earlier. I used cutters and cut out an area large enough in the original grate so that the pipe would fit through. I used the same intake kit off Amazon. Was able to do 2 Talons with one kit. We used the Uni filter turned upside down in case we rode in the rain. So far, our set up has been great. I split the cost of the intake kit with a friend and was able to do my setup for about the cost of an OEM Honda air filter so win win. I do like the looks of your setup though. I did keep the stock chamber installed and attached to it.

View attachment 251578View attachment 251579View attachment 251580View attachment 251581
Yeah this was my second attempt at a snorkel, had a 2019R but totaled it. Drilled threw the plastic that go around. I kept the chamber on my 19 but with using the S&B tube this time, it would've been a pain. From what I've gathered the only purpose of the chambers are to reduce intake noise. Anyone know of other reasons for the chambers, please chime in.

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't been to Hatfield McCoy in years because of distance. And I thought high price for a couple days of riding. I rode quads there. It is huge, and so many different types of riding. Locals say the H/M system is small compared to none system riding. If it was closer I would go theresome. But for quads, Wayne National Forest near Logan, Ohio was great for 20+ years.
Yeah when we went to Hatfeilds, it was a last minute trip. We didn't know much about it....
Really enjoyed the trails and scenery.
Then we got to experience Tennessee and between the two, Tennessee for the win.
Main reason being less regulations. Not a fan of the helmet law or not being able to ride at night.
I also don't mind having a cold beer along the way.
Just make sure you have the correct permits, don't act like you're not house broke and you're good.

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
Thought I'd share my snorkel set up, something I haven't seen yet.
Of course I took ideas from some others and came up with this. I wanted to be able to go back stock and keep things as neat as possible.
I called S&B up and was able to order there side cover, grommet and molded tube. ($49.00 with shipping)
Ordered cold air intake kit off Amazon. It was like $90.00, I definitely didn't need that big of a kit! (Only used a couple pieces)
And a snorkel head off Ebay $17.00
Had some leftover Frog Skin from my Pioneer snorkel I put on the pipe under the snorkel head.
Just finished piecing it together last night. Everything is solid and will be even more so when I secure the snorkel head to the roll cage.
All in all went together pretty nice, with no drilling. I can go back factory in about 15 minutes if the need ever came.

View attachment 250124 View attachment 250125 View attachment 250126
Nice - a real clean install!

Reactions: Smitty335 and Rambo
Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R

View attachment 251578View attachment 251579View attachment 251580View attachment 251581
How did you transition from the air box to your ducting? It looks like you used 3" PVC. I'd like to do the 180* turn, but can't find a way to adapt to it.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
Tennessee for the win.
Main reason being less regulations. Not a fan of the helmet law or not being able to ride at night.
I also don't mind having a cold beer along the way.

On motorcycles I never wore a helmet. Then my ears went bad. I started wearing a helmet for ear protection. When I was young, I wasn't afraid of anything unless it hurt. Well, with ears you don't really know your pain until years later. I bought a quad and went riding it the first time. It was night and I was following a friend. My wheel dropped into a tractor tire rut and I went flying. I just happened to be wearing a helmet that my son loaned me. My head hit the ground like a pile driver. My body was bloodied up, but my head was unfazed. 2 days later I went out and bought my first helmet. I'm not macho anymore. I do what is best for me. I rode Harley's with my son and his friends and wore a helmet. None ever mad any belittling comments. I don't care. I do what's right for me. End of educational rant.

On the other hand, did you say cold beer? And a good size hydration pack?

Reactions: Rambo and TripleB
Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How did you transition from the air box to your ducting? It looks like you used 3" PVC. I'd like to do the 180* turn, but can't find a way to adapt to it.
I used 3" aluminum pipe. Just a cold air intake kit I bought off Amazon. Had to cut the pipe to length and everything fit together nicely. Only used 2 pieces from the kit.

The 3" pipe fit the oem air box great.

20210122 084234

Reactions: Josh97stang
Josh97stang

Josh97stang

Sep 12, 2020
Sheridan, AR
Ownership

1. Talon X
I used 3" aluminum pipe. Just a cold air intake kit I bought off Amazon. Had to cut the pipe to length and everything fit together nicely. Only used 2 pieces from the kit.

The 3" pipe fit the oem air box great.

View attachment 251738

I used the same cold air intake off of Amazon as @Rambo. I may have used 3 pipes in that kit. One of the pipes in the kit is U shaped which gives the 180* turn down. The kit also has the 90* rubber elbow used to connect to the Oem air tube. All parts used in my setup aside from the Uni filter and zip ties came from the air intake kit. Here is the YouTube video I got my idea from. I didn’t follow his setup exact but got most of my ideas from him.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
I used the same cold air intake off of Amazon as @Rambo. I may have used 3 pipes in that kit. One of the pipes in the kit is U shaped which gives the 180* turn down. The kit also has the 90* rubber elbow used to connect to the Oem air tube. All parts used in my setup aside from the Uni filter and zip ties came from the air intake kit. Here is the YouTube video I got my idea from. I didn’t follow his setup exact but got most of my ideas from him.
That is a nice setup. Mine came out through the body. I ordered a 180 degree tube that will be here in about a week. I'll post how mine looks when complete.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Very nice mod!

rbtnt

rbtnt

Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Talon X
Anyone have the part numbers for items 2, 3 and 4 of the Honda Particle Separator? Local dealer was told he had to order the whole kit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335
rbtnt

rbtnt

Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Talon X
Local dealer still cannot find the part numbers for items 2, 3 and 4 of the particle separator. Does anyone have the part numbers they used to order them?

Reactions: Smitty335
Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Local dealer still cannot find the part numbers for items 2, 3 and 4 of the particle separator. Does anyone have the part numbers they used to order them?
Hey sorry for the delayed response. I called S&B directly and ordered the parts. Post #6 in the thread shows a parts list from S&B. Parts 2 3 & 4 are what I ordered.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
I received my 180 degree SS tube ($30) to allow my UNI filter to be installed upside down-to deter rain water from entering. It's installed, but not been ridden yet. With my spare tire carrier I could only place it app. where it is, or near the passenger roll bar. That way would probably collect more mud and dust since it would sit on the outside of the body a little.

IMG 20210208 114023634 HDR

T

tntcustoms68

Mar 12, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Just messaged s&b about the tube and bezel for the vent outlet. They must’ve caught wind of using it for homemade snorkels, told me they won’t sell the parts separately anymore. 🤦🏼‍♂️ So looks like I’m gonna be trying to fab up a vent outlet piece something like their setup. We’ll see how this turns out. 😂🤞🏻

• Sad
Reactions: CID
rbtnt

rbtnt

Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Talon X
I talked to them about a week ago and they told me the same thing.

Reactions: tntcustoms68
T

tntcustoms68

Mar 12, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I talked to them about a week ago and they told me the same thing.
It’s such a clean setup too, I don’t really see why they won’t sell it if we are willing to pay for it. But oh well I guess.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!