Frankenstein Snorkel

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just messaged s&b about the tube and bezel for the vent outlet. They must’ve caught wind of using it for homemade snorkels, told me they won’t sell the parts separately anymore. 🤦🏼‍♂️ So looks like I’m gonna be trying to fab up a vent outlet piece something like their setup. We’ll see how this turns out. 😂🤞🏻
Well that sucks. Really the only piece that made it all look oem is part #4, the side cover. Someone with a 3D printer needs to market those.

sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
You wouldn’t want to sell some of the extra cold air tubes out of that kit would you I looks like there’s enough in 1 kit to make 2 snorkel kits as you did if I’m looking at everything correct

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You wouldn’t want to sell some of the extra cold air tubes out of that kit would you I looks like there’s enough in 1 kit to make 2 snorkel kits as you did if I’m looking at everything correct
I would but, I've got a buddy thats got a Talon. Told him he could have the extra.

Reactions: sspeederr
T

tntcustoms68

Mar 12, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Well that sucks. Really the only piece that made it all look oem is part #4, the side cover. Someone with a 3D printer needs to market those.
Even just the triangle with a small section of tube on both sides would work and just attach the tubes with the silicone bands. Now just to find someone that would do that lol.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just use a hole saw in the stock vent. Something like this...

20191109 233052

Then joint to the airbox with a 45 degree 3" aluminum tube like this...

20191109 233059

Reactions: Rambo and CID
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
With all the customer complaints to Honda and the dealers I would hope Honda would move the air box intake to a clean location. The particle separator is expensive and not necessary unless your racing in the heavy dust. The S&B Particle Separator ejects 94% of the dusty air before it reaches your stock filter. A good pre filter in clean air could be 99.5 % or better plus it doesn't need 3 amps to run and the Honda install is close to $900. Honda really needs to fix this and make some suspension improvements too.

J

Joe_none

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
NC
Those who did not keep the stock intake have made some mention of the noise it makes - those who kept the stock intake and ran from it, have you noticed any or much intake noise?

Josh97stang

Josh97stang

Sep 12, 2020
Sheridan, AR
Ownership

1. Talon X
Those who did not keep the stock intake have made some mention of the noise it makes - those who kept the stock intake and ran from it, have you noticed any or much intake noise?
I kept the stock intake and ran off of it. I do not notice any intake noise however I have a rear windscreen.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The gear whine makes any intake noise irrelevant, I'm always wearing ear plugs - hearing loss is permanent and progressive, once it's gone, it ain't commin' back. #tinnitus 24/7

I did keep the stock intake chamber, copying HondaBob's snorkel idea but not running up to the roof, quit behind the passenger seat (details in the thread linked in my sig).

T

tntcustoms68

Mar 12, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I just went off the air filter housing with mine and don’t notice any more noise than before. I do have a x4 though so a little more room between the filter and my seat.

BB1F34FE EF5A 4AAB A52B 94F2846B170C 75BABBAA 279A 468D 961A 11CCBB1418A6 184F8C4E 523D 4A3E 9B9C 6AD2DB825CFA

Reactions: BlackCSVT
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have tried both ways. Straight pipe is most definitely noisier. Trail riding, straight pipe is not too bad but can get annoying during the higher speed parts. At the dunes (mostly wide open throttle), the stock intake snorkled up behind the passenger headrest is slightly noisier than stock but strait pipe is down right intolerable.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've been away from my Talon for over a month now. But my wife and I don't recall hearing intake noise at all. If there was any, it was drowned out by all the other machine noises. I have a rear windshield which probably helps. I didn't remove the existing intake system. I just extended it out behind the passenger seat.

IMG 20210208 114011981 HDR 2021 04 28 Talon into shed  5

Reactions: tntcustoms68
Moab_Marty

Moab_Marty

Jul 12, 2019
Moab + Western CO
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yeah this was my second attempt at a snorkel, had a 2019R but totaled it. Drilled threw the plastic that go around. I kept the chamber on my 19 but with using the S&B tube this time, it would've been a pain. From what I've gathered the only purpose of the chambers are to reduce intake noise. Anyone know of other reasons for the chambers, please chime in.
I know this is way late as I just saw this thread. I installed the $&B separator kit, and found big increase in intake noise. .. Annoying

• Sad
Reactions: Montecresto and CID
Moab_Marty

Moab_Marty

Jul 12, 2019
Moab + Western CO
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've been away from my Talon for over a month now. But my wife and I don't recall hearing intake noise at all. If there was any, it was drowned out by all the other machine noises. I have a rear windshield which probably helps. I didn't remove the existing intake system. I just extended it out behind the passenger seat.

View attachment 274721View attachment 274722
Damn.. that's a tight fit in the garage !

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
Damn.. that's a tight fit in the garage !
Too tight. I had to leave it outside for the summer. I thought I could lift the front enough to get it inside. No go because the rear angled out as I raised it. Next year I'll try lifting the rear from inside and hope it fits.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!